1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

9 Vacation Days In 3 Weeks Or Lose it

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Joe Strummer, Jun 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe Strummer

Joe Strummer VIP Whale

At my job -
    You can save your Vacation days for two years......
    but if you don't use it by then.......you lose it ( no "banking" Vacation time ).
    My anniversary date ( the day I started this job ) is in 3 weeks.
    It will be 20 yrs on the job.
    So, I have to use 9 Vacation Days by then.....or lose it.
    Normally, I would never use so much Vacation time in such a short period.
    * I used to do Vegas = 5 days at a time --- during every holiday weekend eg. Memorial day / July 4 / Labor Day
    But with a 5 yr old son -- I've learned to save as much vacation days as possible -
    for "emergency purposes". ( no more Vegas, lately ! )
    So that's why I have 9 days left, now.
    I kinda like being "forced" to use 9 in 3 weeks.
    I feel "guilt free" about using it !!!!
    My Boss ( and her secretary - from Hell ) are pissed !
    Jealous witches !........because it forces The Secretary From Hell to actually have to arrive at work on time !!
    I don't care - I earned it and it's mine to use MY WAY.
    2 days the first week
    3 days the second week
    4 days the third week
    ........is how I'm using them.
    Not going any where - I still have family obligations - I get to see my son
    graduate from Pre- K !........how silly is that ?.......Pre K ceremony ?
    But I will try + play local golf each of those mornings -
    and I hit my closest Race-cino ( first time in 5 years ) where the
    VP is 9/6 !!!!!!!..........I only had an hour + came out w/ $50 bucks.
    oh yeh.......I get to work on my Home Assault By Wildlife !
    I've got bats in my house siding -- gopher under my front stoop foundation --
    wasps + a raccoon climbing on the roof ( 2 nites ago )
    9 days in 3 weeks...............can I "sleep-in " on any of those ?....I doubt it ?

2. merlin

merlin MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Good for you Joe, enjoy, By the way, I can't imagine ever having guilt about taking time off you've earned. Any boss that implies you shouldn't use your time isn't worth the time of day.

3. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    BINGO! Enjoy the time!!!

4. rob889

rob889 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If it pisses them off that much you should take a couple more days off the 4th week...just say you're trying to stay ahead of the game so you don't get stuck in the same situation :wink2:

5. ken2v

ken2v 200,000 and counting

America's most valuable agricultural expanse
    Trips to Las Vegas:
    Work to live, do not live to work!!

• Like Like x 2
    • Love Love x 2
  6. Ckspores

Ckspores Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm glad that you get to use your time. Just to give you the flip side-

I had two employees that refused, for whatever reason, to take vacation time as they were approaching the use it or lose it deadline. We are permitted to roll over for two years, with a year being the anniversary of our hire date. I reminded the employees weekly for 4 months to please consider taking the time before they lost it. One had to use 10 days, the other 11. I know the HR manager also talked with both about how they wouldn't be approved if they didn't follow HR policy for time-off requests. Our policy requires at least 10 working-days notice for the use of more an 3 consecutive PTO days excluding emergency, or illness. I wouldn't have honestly cared how they took it (together, in pieces, one day at a time, etc.) as long as the had enough notice to ensure I could properly staff my department, call in subs if needed, or reschedule other employees.

They either chose to ignore me or didn't listen in the first place and then both handed in late requests (one employee gave 2 days advance notice, the other just 1) and were both expecting to use it all at the very last minute. I had staff that had followed policy and gotten their requests in on time that were already approved for the same stretch. So, sorry guys, requests denied.

I did feel kind of bad (as I'd never denied a time-off request before) but they screwed me despite giving them every chance to take their time. I rarely bust out the HR policy manual but I did in this case.

I know one of them went to a lawyer but he wouldn't take the case. We gave her ample opportunity to take the time (proven by my multiple emails, which the lawyer FOIAed) and had the the signed HR policy manual from her date-of-hire (indicating she was aware of the policy) so we were not in violation of state labor laws.

7. BlacklabberMike

BlacklabberMike VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hey Joe, If you want to hit the tables at Mohegan or Foxwoods I think I can make that work

8. Electroguy563

Electroguy563 Over-Fried Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I remember one of my past employers implying the direct opposite. Glad I had the courage to leave.

Now my current employer is leaning toward the same thinking. Used to be a great place to work. Not so much now, I'm glad I'm planning to retire soon.

9. merlin

merlin MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So if they called in sick 10 days in a row, it would have been ok(if they got a dr's note)? When you do things like that the employees can almost always "get even", many times you wont even know about it, but they do. Doing what you did is just bad for business.

10. ken2v

ken2v 200,000 and counting

America's most valuable agricultural expanse
    Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you have that latitude, go for it. Your terms, amigo!!

11. bluesdude

bluesdude VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am not sure I agree. If you are given ample time to put in for "your vacation" and you don't, you are putting both you and your employer in a bad spot. If I had been one of those who put my vacation notice in on time and then my boss lets my coworkers slide, I might be a little resentful. A slippery slope I guess.

Maybe not this year. Looking forward to 2021!
  12. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The first thing I would do when an employee was upset over this:

Write a detailed memo outlining each and every time they were informed of the policy and the encouragement to schedule and take their damn leave.

Funny how details, in writing slap the ignorant up the side of the head. And, lawyers then laugh them out of the building.

13. merlin

merlin MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yea, imagine the nerve of someone getting screwed out of their vacation? Those lawyers will teach em... you guys dont get it, they wont just say 'oh well', i lost, they will respond in a way that will hurt the whole company, they can't directly hurt the boss, they will indirectly hurt the company. The dumb boss will never know they did it, but they will know. A disgruntled employee is one of the most powerful things in corporate life, most of the time they hide it, and you think what happened has long since passed, it hasn't.. Several of them can destroy an organization.

14. Multifarious5

Multifarious5 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I AM glad you're using it Joe, don't feel guilty at all! If they don't like people cramming in extra days at the end (with notice of course), don't make it "use it or lose it".

The growing trend is guilt shaming people into not taking time off, and I for one am absolutely not buying it. I'll work hard at work, but I am ABSOLUTELY taking time off, and that time is my time.

And don't get sucked into the trend of "working on vacation". Very few of us are saving lives or rewriting history. The world is not going to end if we actually ENJOY our vacation...so enjoy yours! :wiggle:

PS I do agree though, next time try to not schedule it when you're at the wire on time. I know, easier said than done, but once it becomes habit....scheduling vacation well in advance...it makes it easier on you and them. But still take your vacation this time!

Last edited: Jun 10, 2017
  15. Jerseyguy

Jerseyguy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sounds like you have plenty to keep you busy,enjoy yourself and dont worry about your boss.

16. Ckspores

Ckspores Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I wanted them to take the time. That's why i asked them weekly for months to start taking it. I want all my employees to take every minute of earned time.

But when you're getting every opportunity over the course of months to do something, and you can't be bothered, that's not fair to everyone else. For me, it would have been worse to approve the late requests and screw over the other people in the department than deny the request of the two employees that didn't think the policy applied to them.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.