1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

9/11 - Where Were You?

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Tuebbis, Sep 11, 2019.

1. SMG

SMG High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was sitting in my cubicle at work in the NW burbs here in Chicago checking my email and the morning news when I heard that a plane crashed into the WTC. At first, we never dreamed that the plane was hijacked and this was a terror attack until we heard that a second plane crashed into the WTC, then another one targeting the Pentagon. Needless to say, all work stopped and everyone at our facility was going crazy when the word got around. They setup TVs in our cafeteria and we were all huddled around watch the news for the latest updates. I worked for major corp and we had colleagues with offices in Manhattan and some had relatives/friends in the area, so this was a major concern for all of us. Luckily, they were far enough away from ground zero, so they were all safe.

We were all told to go home to our families, so it was early afternoon when I left work. As another Chicago member also mentioned, it really felt strange driving home, since the sky was completely void of any airplanes which was unusual, since OHare airport wasn't too far from our location. Later, I also heard that downtown Chicago was like a ghost town, since they weren't taking any chances that Chicago's Sears Tower would be targeted too.

Even today, every time I go to the airport and have to deal with all the TSA security procedures, it's a reminder of 9/11.

• Wow! Wow! x 1
  2. JoJoR

JoJoR VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was a sophomore in high school. Was in the middle of a HTML class and like others we were refreshing news websites like crazy to get updates. One thing I remember was how quiet it was with all flights being grounded. One other side note is that I went to college with the daughter of one of the pilots of the planes that crashed.

First Trip of 2020
    • Wow! Wow! x 1
  3. lmking1224

lmking1224 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was in 8th grade in math class. A teacher came in and told my teacher to turn on the classroom TV, where they were showing footage. Not long after that, they moved us all to the library, and they had multiple TVs on showing the news.

4. OhioStateAlum

OhioStateAlum High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    In the library, 7th grade. I recall a member of the office staff coming in and telling the librarian to turn on the TV sometime between plane #1 and #2. At that age I don’t think any of us fully understood the gravity of what we were watching unfold, but we could tell it was like nothing we’d ever seen before just based on the reaction of adults.

• Love Love x 1
  5. Dodgeus

Dodgeus Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Orlando. Mother/daughter trip. Flew in on 10th. Crazy thing was no one checked our IDs on the flights down. Remember I was in the bathroom getting dressed and my Mom screamed when the 2nd plane flew into the tower. I swore she was watching a bad movie until I saw it myself. Horrible week as my dad died unexpectedly that following Sunday

• Love Love x 1
  6. txaggie06

txaggie06 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was a senior in high school..and on my way to my first class which was oddly enough taught by my mom. I remember calling her on the way to class saying something has happened turn on the tv. We had TVs in each classroom. We all just watched in disbelief. I will never forget, but I was so glad to be with my mom in her class at that moment. ....

• Love Love x 1
  7. Electroguy563

Electroguy563 Over-Fried Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was glued to the TV watching the events unfold, getting ready for work. Later on at lunchtime we were talking about what the terrorists were using as weapons.

I suggested maybe box cutters. The other workers scoffed at my idea.

Turned out I was right.

• Wow! Wow! x 1
  8. Joe Strummer

Joe Strummer VIP Whale

I watched the two trails of black smoke from the burning towers
    drift ( Eastward ) across the Hudson River.
    This, from the roof of my job.....maybe 20 miles away.
    And my idiot boss actually said this to me as I watched on TV ---
    " Turn this off, it doesn't concern us, right now."
    Can you imagine making THAT statement ?
    A good, high school buddy, worked on the 104th floor.......
    I turned off any ceremonies ( yesterday )....I want to move on....
    I lowered the flag at my job.

• Love Love x 1
  9. deansrobinson

deansrobinson VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We live right on the flight path to TIA. You become numb to aircraft noise over time, and it was very bizarre to have absolutely no aircraft over house - at all !

• Wow! Wow! x 1
  10. topcard

topcard Older than the Stardust!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was on my way to work, about 5 minutes out, when I heard on the radio that an "airplane had hit one of the WTC buildings"...
    Having been to "Windows on the World" for drinks, and seen small prop planes flying at an altitude lower than the restaurant, I assumed it was a small, private Cessna-type plane & that the pilot had a heart-attack or something like that.

5 minutes later, I'm telling my boss about it & he tells me it was a commercial jet, probably a 767.
    So, we go and find a TV and few minutes into watching the coverage, we see the second plane hit.
    We instantly knew that this was a deliberate act of terrorism.
    When the Pentagon got hit a little while later, I was actually afraid for our nation & the world, as I imagined things would escalate quickly & that nukes might very well be flying soon.
    All sorts of rumors were swirling about on multiple broadcast channels & networks, with one being that there were still 4 unaccounted for jets, and that we would shoot them down if we could. There was another (false) report that multiple bombs were planted in vehicles all around Washington DC & some were being detonated.

Having not smoked for several years, I took it up again on 9/11/01, and went out to the smoking area.
    I work very near DFW airport, and it was quite eerie being outside and there being no planes in the sky.
    Then we heard about United 93 going down, and that their target was likely the White House.

When word got out that it was not a nation-sponsored attack, I was actually relieved, as that was a good indication that nukes would not be flying!

An incredible and traumatic day...as were the days that followed.
    I will never forget.

Unscheduled Spring Trip!! (...& I have my required bankroll now!!)
    • Wow! Wow! x 1
  11. OddsWrkin

OddsWrkin Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was in the air traveling with my boss from Omaha to Denver, completely oblivious to what was happening. After landing and hearing what was going on, recalled that there were no other aircraft moving at DIA when we arrived. Traveled to our destination office in Westmoor and did nothing other than watch the news. Smoker at the time, went outside for several smoke breaks and watched fighter aircraft patrolling the skies and no commercial flights anywhere.

• Like Like x 2
    • Wow! Wow! x 1
  12. FullBoat

FullBoat VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I had just started my shift at a help desk. I was talking to someone on the phone, and they just kinda tossed out, "someone just flew into the WTC". We both kinda just blew it off thinking it was a small one. Got off the phone with him, and the other people were talking about a commercial airliner hitting it. Couldn't get to CNN.com because everyone was trying to get there. Could only get info from the BBC. Someone found a portable TV with a 5" screen. But, since we were on the bottom floor in the center of it, we got almost no reception.

As we were watching, we saw the towers come down. What I couldn't get is people were still calling in like nothing had happened.

B-Day trip
    • Wow! Wow! x 2
  13. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was working from home, on the phone with a customer who told me that a plane had just hit the first tower. We both thought it was just a small plane accident. After the phone call I turned on the TV and the world changed from that moment on.

As an aside, my company had booths at two trade shows in Vegas on that day. We had about 10 folks in Vegas but the shows were immediately shut down that morning. Our illustrious General Manager proceeded to commandeer the rental car from one of my colleagues and drove back towards Ohio with the Director of Sales, leaving the rest of the staff behind. When the FAA allowed private aircraft to resume flights, the GM ordered the 7 seat company plane meet him somewhere in Kansas and take him and sales director back to Ohio. A day or so later, the rest of the team finally obtained rental cars and began to drive east. One group of 4 could only get a compact car and the two in the back seat had luggage in their laps. He went on to become CEO, stabbed the Chairman of the Board in the back, destroyed the company and finally lost a proxy battle to an institutional investor. A true scoundrel.

• Wow! Wow! x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  14. booker

booker VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Drinking my first cup of coffee, I wondered why the Today Show kept sowing what I assumed to be the anchors' roll in an upcoming Towering Inferno movie. I made breakfast, came back to the TV and they were still running that segment. Then the reality penny dropped.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. booker

booker VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was a school librarian in a 7-12 school. I set up TVs in the library that day and regularly scheduled library classes were put on hold.

Relatedly, during the Space Shuttle Columbia disaster in 2003, I was a high school librarian in a large library. I set up televisions in the easy reading area and one of our Language Arts teachers formerly complained to me and the principal that I was disrupting his assignment on footnoting. To say the principal supported me would be an understatement.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2019
    • Love Love x 3
    • Wow! Wow! x 1
  16. ffejry

ffejry #1 Bears Fan

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was in high school at the time. Junior year, I think.

Just before school, I was eating my usual bowl of cinnamon toast crunch. Amazing cereal! My sister told me to look at the TV so I did and I saw the first tower on fire. They just kept saying a plane hit the tower. I didn't really give much thought to it. I had thought it was like one of those farmers planes or something really small.

Got to school and they had us in the cafeteria. We hadn't started PE yet, so for a couple weeks, we are just in the cafeteria doing nothing. Not sure why... but they did have TVs set up for this and I recall thinking - what's the big deal? It's just a small plane. Boom. A second one hit the second tower. I am not sure if I saw the towers go down or something, but school was surreal for the rest of the day. Teachers were somber and didn't want to teach. No homework, nothing. They just wanted to talk about life, what it means to be an American (because of terrorist talks) and how we should cherish life. For the rest of the week, it was very somber. We didn't get back to our normal school routine until the following week, if I recall correctly.

Gas prices went up 3x the price, we bought the newspapers, everything. We watched CNN for days. We heard of Chicago being a spot. It was madness.

I'll never forget.

SPRING BREAK!!!
    • Like Like x 1
  17. runningonthehub

runningonthehub High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I had just come home from Vegas the day before. I remember about 0830 Chicago time, I was online and I saw a story about the World Trade Center being attacked. In my mind I was thinking this was a old story about the World Trade Center being attacked about ten years before. I wondered why is old news was being reported. Then I started seeing more reports of the attack and I turned on the TV. I was in shocked and afraid.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Wow! Wow! x 1
  18. Steve Tate

Steve Tate Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    In a management meeting - one of the admins walked into the meeting and suggested that we turn on the TV. I didn't leave that boardroom all day.. #NeverForget

• Like Like x 1
  19. nancyf

nancyf High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was at work in Camden NJ - we were all just settling in when the boss called and said a plane hit the WTC - he said, he'd call back when he knew something else... he called back a few minutes later and said turn on the tv -a second plane hit ... we were shocked! Within the hour, we closed the office and all went home - office was closed the next day also... It was so strange driving home, on a beautiful fall day, feeling so eerie as there was noticeably no planes and really hardly any traffic.. I didn't know anyone that worked in the WTC but my sister had a friend that worked there and she was suppose to go to her friends surprise 30th bday on the following Saturday ... but her friend perished that day - so sad. Never forget.

• Love Love x 1
  20. OhioStateAlum

OhioStateAlum High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sounds like you are an excellent educator. Need more like you!

I can still so vividly recall how odd it was for us to be allowed to “watch TV” during school- I hesitate to even describe it in that way. Growing up in a rural area I’d never even been to a major city like New York. I remember us kids sitting around and saying that this had to be a “big deal” because the only other time the news had infiltrated a school day was the Columbine tragedy a few years prior.

Very thankful for people like you that helped guide people like me through something we couldn’t comprehend.

• Love Love x 1