1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

7 Star / Diamond 2 Airfare credit

Discussion in 'Comps' started by easy_money, Jun 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. easy_money

easy_money High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Has anyone booked their own flight (for 7*/diamond level 2 airfare credit) vice going through host and Passport Travel and then get reimbursed when you arrive? If you did, did your host tell you that it would count against your back-end comps?

Reason I'm asking is that I used my DIA2 airfare credit to book my own flight, which was my first time doing. I usually just forward info to host and then to Passport Travel. But I booked my trip 1 week away from Memorial Day Weekend and host said it might take several days so I asked host if it's okay if I book my own airfare as prices would be guaranteed to go up since it was so close to MDW. And I heard some people doing it before, so figured I ask. Host said it wouldn't be a problem but would need to be approved by host supervisor, and then also it would also count against my back-end comp. I didn't find that to be a problem as I know I could cover it. Now I'm trying to use my 7* airfare and it would be the same deal, where it would count against my back-end comps. Normally it wouldn't be a problem, but I'm having several family members joining me on the trip and I'll be getting several rooms for them also, all under me. So I'm debating between booking my own flights or just letting Passport Travel do it. So I'd just like to hear other peoples thoughts and if they were told the same.

Also, my host forwarded me something which I found interesting, and didn't know. Below is response from host in reference to question I had asked about booking my own flight again.

"It is on case by case basis and has to be approved. It is best for you to let Passport book the flights because the cost of the flight won’t get posted against your play, therefore won’t affect your offers in the future. Because all our offers are not only based on play but also profitability of the guest. "

What I didn't know and found interesting was the "offers are NOT only based on play but also profitability". I didn't find it surprising but I always thought or believed that offers were "soley" based on theo/play. So from what host said, I guess if you're a winner all the time (1 in a million), regardless of putting in time/play, your offers might dwindle, which I've heard people speculating about before. But from that, I guess players that take full advantage of all their back-end comps, aren't considered profitable and therefore their offers might drop? Thoughts?

2. Chuck2009x

Chuck2009x VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you ask for and utilize all your back end comps vs regularly leaving them on the table, you definitely are less profitable. However, I'm a little surprised that it would affect offers, since comps are capped and so most players will still be profitable, just a little less so. The only way you wouldn't be profitable is if you were fairly consistently break even or a winner.

There was a big roller who I don't think has posted here in a while, he would get into the details of the incentives he got and I believe it was MGM who told him they were going to cut back on them because he wasn't profitable, using that exact word. And my recollection is that he wasn't having some sort of lucky streak where he was walking out with duffle bags of money, but maybe he was treading water enough so that they weren't getting a good enough return.

3. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Comps are based on theo which are based on play - which in the end is based on profitability.

Okay - apparently that is not totally correct - but in the end - it still comes down to play for most people/discussions/situations.

I have seen this new term pop up a few times lately. Guessing it is just another "program" some back room finance guy put into place to squeeze more dollars.

As to the original post - airfare is a hard comp. Always risky to get that approved unless you are a big spender.

Getting it as part of Diamond Aspirations or 7 Star trip is EASY even if you spend only $1 on that trip - since it is upfront.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.