1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

22 days of VP in downtown Vegas May 21st to June 13th

Discussion in 'Vegas Trip Reports' started by wasilla, May 29, 2019.

1. wasilla

wasilla Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As for the Éclair, I ate it and the cake a couple days after I got them. The Éclair is a monster as you know. I didn't have a frig at either the D of GG, but it was still good.
    MSS slot attendants call someone, I assume the slot supervisor for approval. It usually only takes a couple minutes. The slot attendant sometimes looks at the daily points displayed on my screen, but a lot several of them already know that I play before I ask. The comp is good for 24 hours and waiting at the brewpub.

2. wasilla

wasilla Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm a huge Woot fan as well, but it would be unwise to play for money when drinking it. It was Xoccveza. If anyone wants it at GG, learn to pronounce it Even a bartender didn't know that Stone made it. I don't know how many people noticed, but the Cal bar that serves the Redwood and Noodle house has Dogfish Head 90 minute IPA. It's well balanced a 9%. The advertised sticker price is $6 a bottle, but the Noodle House seems to charge $4. Of course it's much cheaper if you're paying with points or a meal comp.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. wasilla

wasilla Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I reported how many points I have earned when I asked for comps, because that is easy to see on the machine counter. I don't think that you have to earn points or TC's to get food comps. I have put coin through in positive expectation games that didn't earn a single tier credit and still got comped. I'm pretty sure that coin in is the main factor. After that things like TC's , win/loss, history, etc may come into play.

4. wasilla

wasilla Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So, writing in real time, I just got back from Tenaya Brewing. I'm really not sure what all the fuss was about...… KIDDING!! It was great. Thank those who recommended it. I'd like to return the favor by updating the info. The walk to and from was uneventful as Viva Las vegas described. Their are homeless and Mentally ill people on the route, but they are into their own thing. I walk slow and it took me close to 30 minutes from EC, MSS would be 15.
    The happy hour is everyday 3 to 7 and 10 to midnight. Pints of IPA were $4.50. The Barley Wine and Trippel were $7. Basically it is $1 off. O Tuesdays 6 to close the have $3 pints excluding the trippel and BW 6 PM to close. They have a selection of guest taps. Currently there is a Joseph James tap take over and ther are around 10 of their beers. They are mostly darker anniversary ales and sours. The anniversary ales are around 10% I had the 10th aniversery stout with coconut and tasted the GABF gold medal winner imperial coconut porter. The amazingly amazing server said that they had the only keg left in Nevada. Dwaddle at your own risk. They have at least 4 nitro taps. I tasted or ordered at least 8 beers (just now sobering up). I didn't like their Belgian Trippel. Everything else I'd rate between good and fantastic. If you don't usually frequent breweries take note that there is no reason to oreder a beer you end up not liking. Anyone that makes good beer will give you a taste of what you are considering ordering.

• Like Like x 2
    • Love Love x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. wasilla

wasilla Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Monday, 6/319 at MSS
    After a couple early nights, I feel eager to start my day. I start at the player's desk to get my $10 F.P. and frog pick. My 2 may frog picks were points worth $10 and $25. Today I get a $50 dining credit. Guess who's eating at Redwood tonight.
    I'm playing .25 JOB at BHB a t8:05 AM. I'm losing credits fast. Nothing more than high pairs and 2 pair bleeds me down to $20. I hit Jacks at 8:20 and lost $100 at 8:43. I hit 9's at 8:51, 5's at 9:47, held a card and then drew 4 queens at 9:56, and Kings at 9:59.
    I cashed out at 10:13 with 844 points and down $50 for the day plus $11 scratch cards. I had enough TC for a breakfast buffet and had finally extended Sapphire through 2020. Breakfast was a ham and cheese omelet, and portugese sausage.
    Once I renewed Sapphire I had options. 10/7 DB is my favorite game, but it rarely earns full points and doesn't earn any TC's. At MSS it earns a point per $3 as opposed to a point per $2. DB it is!
    I start DB at 11:15 and use my $10 FP. I hit 6's at 11:33, an inside Diamond SF at 11:45, Q's at 11:59, Q's again at 12:07, 6's at 12:22, 4's at 12:30, and K's at 12:37.
    Everything is flowing Inside straights, 3 flush holds, FH's were all filling out. My $110 ticket had grown to $445,
    I hit 4's again at 12:42 and literally had to catch my breath. I cashed out at 1:30 for $500 (up $300) and $17 scratch cards.
    I move to JOB at BHB and restarted at 4:40 PM Apparently to come back to earth. I lost $100 at 5:24.Hit 2's at 5:33, Q's, at 6:11, 8's at 6:20.
    I lost $100 at 6:55. Hit 5's at 7:21 and cashed out at 7:57 up $112.50 for the day.
    It was dinner time at the Redwood. I brought my IPA with me but got 2 Dogfish Head 90 minute IPA's. The meal starts with bread and olives. The firsts loaf was too crusty, so I finished it and asked for another that was perfect. The entre was Chilean sea bass which has a fantastic flavor and texture. Last time I ordered it, the chef did a walk through the dinning room accepting heaped praise. The couple next to me was dining on a $75 pick the frog credit. If I ever pick a $75 one it is going to be crab or lobster day. A person on the other side of me got a baked potato that could have been its own meal.
    I was back at BHB at 11:39. I was dealt A-4 diamonds and drew the 5. Things went down hill after that. I asked the slot attendant for a 777 comp to use tomorrow. I knew it was closed but figured i'd bluff my way through. It worked. I asked for $25. She came back later telling me that it was closed, but was good with me using it the next day.
    At 12:10 AM I lost my $112.50. So I gambled away the day to break even. I ended up with $34 in scratch cards, 2,835 points, sapphire renewal, a buffet breakfast a Redwood dinner and a meal tomorrow.
    I move to El Cortez tomorrow which has turned into a beer desert so I'll appreciate the 777.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2019
    • Like Like x 5
  6. tringlomane

tringlomane STP Addicted Beer Snob

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Damn a JJ tap takeover? I would have liked that, they make pretty good stuff. Generally better than what I've tried from Tenaya Creek so far.

MyVegas lets us stay again? Okay!
    Thanks Wynn slot app! M's birthday in style!
  7. wasilla

wasilla Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Too bad you're not in town. These aren't your run of the mill JJ taps, it's an assortment of high octane anniversary ales, sours, and a GABF gold winner. I doubt we'll see a collection like that again anytime soon. I think that I'm going to go back on $3 pint Tuesday, 6/11/19. I will pull out my ratty green t shirt that says "Life is short, drink good beer." If anyone is also there, say hi.

• Like Like x 1
  8. wasilla

wasilla Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    6/4/19, Tuesday at El Cortez.
    I can get one last pick the frog before I check out of MSS. Since dining credits are only good for 24 hours, I decide to wait for my pick until I come back to use my brew pub comp. This is my longest walk between hotels and my pack is heavy with my month's worth of stuff. I stop at the D and use some of my June's meal comp on an omelet. When I get to EC, my room isn't ready, but that is situation normal. I leave my bag, and I'm ready to gamble.

I'm ready but not that excited. Previously they had multiplier days and they gave me my own day to choose. I had FP. There were 3 .25c and 1 .50c 10/7 DB coin droppers to choose from and one of those use to give full points. They had a bar with 9/7 DB and 8/5 BP that were positive games with my multiplier. The bar even served Banger beer for a while. All that's left now is two .25c painfully slow 10/7 DB coin droppers earning 1/3 points. It's still a good game, but I can't play it long enough or fast enough to earn much more than 1,000 points. Sometimes they are both occupied, and neighboring DDB players often decide to play this machine at the same time for variety's sake. My plan is to play as much 10/7 as I can get in and top off my point total with 9/6 DDB. I'm expecting long playing days and some losses. I'm shooting for 2,000 points a day.
    My preferred of the 2 machines is claimed by a DDB player. The other is open, so I slide in a hundred, record my starting point total, and hit deal at 12:50 PM.

I lose my first $100 at 1:52 PM after putting a little over $200 through. A 50% loss rate. Maybe I should be happy it is so slow. At 2:05 I was dealt an Ace FH, held the Aces, and drew the 4rth. It's been a while since that decision had been profitable. The machine started spitting out quarters, but ran out. It was about 15 minutes before I could continue playing.
    I hit Q's at 2:54, and was dealt Aces at 3:05. The machine spit out another $200. I hit 5's at 3:37 and quit at 4:17 up $300.Once again I had to wait for a fill to get my money. It was more fun than expected, and $500 in quarters are heavy. I only had 564 points.
    I checked into a large corner room on the 11th floor facing the strip. It isn't remodeled, but I like the view, it's spacious, and I really like it. It is noisier mid week than it used to be, so it isn't for everyone.
    I head to MSS. My frog pick is a $25 food voucher that I will use tomorrow. I get my 777 comp. They gave my $30 instead of the $25 I asked for. I don't even remember what I ate. I had two 22oz Mango Heffe's and took the 2nd back to EC. I needed 2 cups, but got the beer back safely.
    I had spun for $20 FP at the Kiosk that had to be played on TITO's. If I got 1400 points more before midnight, I would get another $10. Since I felt the need for more points, I reluctantly switched to 9/6 DDB. I lost a $100 and $20 FP at 10:07. I was dealt 7's at 10:17, hit queens at 10:38, and lost another $100 at 11:21. I got 1,532 points for the session and quit up $100 for the day. I had run into gutshotSF, who was staying there and we located an 8/5 BP machine he wanted to play.

• Like Like x 1
    • Wow! Wow! x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. wasilla

wasilla Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    6/5/19, weds at EC
    I want to prevent a lot of play on DDB, so I get an earlier start on my 10/7 DB.
    I started at 9:10, hit 10's at 9:50, 4's at 10:50,10's at 11:00.
    I was having trouble getting a couple buttons to work. EC gets more than their share of slammers and bangers and someone had damaged the machine since last night. I was now banging on a button with my pen every time I wanted to hold the 5th card. I considered leaving, but hit the change button and an attendant wanted me to reenact the problem without getting my card to hold before she called a mechanic. Once she left, I started playing again. the mechanic spent about 5 minutes on the fix.
    I hit 10's at 12:02 and was dealt 4's at 12:06 and 5's at 12:10 and the machine spit out 250 quarters. I drew for Kings at 12:10 and the machine spit out 250 another quarters. I hit 2's at 12:20 and another $100 came out. I hit 8's at 12:39 and 3's at 12:45. Another $100 came out. I quit at 1:40 after losing 500 credits in 50 minutes. I was up $300 for the day, had 820 points and only required 1 machine fill. I think I brought $500 of quarters to the cahier.
    There was no beer I wanted to drink at EC, so I was looking forward to a couple of Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA's at the noodle house. I tried ordering, one thing, but my waitress waived my off and I got the Pad Thai. It was even better than before.
    I returned to Db and lost a $100 while getting 154 points. At 8:10 I switched to DDB. I earned 100 points and lost $20 FP. I hit Kings at 1:20, Jacks at 8:29, 6's at 8:46, 8's at 8:57, dealt 3's at 9:00, drew for 10's at 9:23, and quit at 10:11 up $100 with 1523 points. I as up $300 for the day with over 2,500 points. It was also Ice cream day and I had 2 tickets,. I could have gotten a lot more, but they were short staffed and I didn't want to bother them.
    I went to Seagal's for a late Senior day dinner, but they had stopped the menu at 10:00, so I went to my room and ate my left over Pad Thai with a Merlot I got while playing.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
  10. AyDee

AyDee Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just wanted to say, I am enjoying your exhaustive details on these reports, the times really give the tone of ebbs and flows.
    I used to take notes in small field books, but this last trip switched to index cards with a rubber band on them.
    I find taking notes easy during breaks such as buy ins/ shuffle ups/card changes/chip reloads at tables/waiting for MSS scratchers, and hope to include more details like you in my future trip reports.

11. tringlomane

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Good for you to get the repair done! I'm bad for not reporting shitty buttons. But if you don't report, how are they supposed to know?

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. wasilla

wasilla Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thank you AyeDee! I've read some trip reports and realize that this board tends to be partial to live reports, witty quips, and tons of pictures. My story is sooo not like that that I realize that most people will be bored with it. I definitely take encouragement from you to continue this for those who are still interested.
    Just a little foreshadowing. While I don't know how the story ends yet, there is still a twist or two to come.

• Like Like x 3
    • Love Love x 1
  13. AyDee

AyDee Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I feel like with your volume a royal is due. Tring would know better though.
    My next trip is for the cal VP tournament, and I am going to try to bust that damn dam.
    (still 0 for me and P)
    Can't decide if I will be happy or mad if I catch it during the tournament. Definitely mad if I get it and don't place.
    also why not, might make a run at that 4 Q promo also

also (coming soon in my trip report) those 4Q progressives sure seemed kinder than mss BHB.
    buttons and general "snappiness" seemed better too.
    interesting that I've only seen those plastic button spill protectors at cosmo. they seem to work

and you know, when you say it regular players probably don't really need the pictures
    and how many broken 1 to RF draws do we all really need to see

Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. wildpike

wildpike Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Loving the report. I am staying downtown at the end of June and this is very informative on multiple fronts (VP and beer) and entertaining to boot.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. wasilla

wasilla Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thursday, 6/6/19 at El Cortez
    I start my morning with a slightly undercooked ham and cheese omelet. It's still good. My favorite of the 2 machines is finally open. The buttons work a little better and you can hear the wins. I start at 10:40 AM
    At 11:20 I replenish my credits by filling out an outside heart SF. I draw 2 for a Diamond SF at 10:43. Two SF's before a single quad. I hit Jacks at 12:07 and took the time to watch them trumpet. I hit Kings at 12:06, and was dealt Aces with a King at 12:25. The machine didn't have enough quarters and the fill took a while. The center King seemed to be having a great time, but the flanking aces just stood there. I put the quarters in the change counter behind me and an attendant payed my ticket.
    I hit 7's at 12:58, dealt 5's at 1:05 ($62.50 spit out) , hit queens at 1:22, and 3's at 1:25. $100 spit out. In a little over an hour I lost 780 credits so I cashed out at 2:34 up $300 for the day.
    It was time for a field trip to Tenaya Creek Brewing! I had invited gutshotSF to come along, but I couldn't find him and was unable to sign onto the board. I won't repeat my rave review.
    I got back to EC just in time for the 7:00 drawing. gutshotSF was there interested in going for a beer, but my beer drinkin for the day had already happened.
    I only had 830 points and after sobering up a bit switched to DDB around 9:00 PM.
    I hit a heart SK at 9:28, Jacks at 9:55, and dealt 10's at 10:00. 250 quarters spit out. I hit a draught and was feeding those quarters back in before getting Kings at 11:21. I quit at 11:41 with 1,380 points and down $50.
    For the day I had 2,219 points and was up $250. I went to Seigel's and used the last of my room comp on a Cuban. I contemplated the Cortez stay in my room as I ate my last ice cream.
    The stay was more fun, but less lucrative by mixing in more DDB. It's just too much work to earn a lot of points on the 10/7 coin droppers. Every day, I had a good run on 10/7 which is a lot of fun. Even with DDB losses, I walked away with $650. I don't usually do well at EC unless I hit a RF. I don't know whether EC relies solely on points earned or also factors in coin through. If it's the former, I'm probably barely clinging to my room offers, but I suspect my coin in will help.
    Tomorrow I head to 4 Q's to play their June promotion. I'm always excited before I stay there and am more so on promotions. The club on Freemont's bass thumps through my room and I'm sort of wired thinking about tomorrow. Hopefully I can get some sleep.

16. Viva Las Vegas

Viva Las Vegas Ramblin' Gamblin' Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Love the trip report, glad you made it to, and enjoyed Tanaya Creek! Hope you can hit HopNuts before your trip ends, my brother hit it for First Friday two days ago, I love both breweries, and Aces and Ales and also beer for the room from Khoury's in Henderson or Total Wine throughout the valley (usually hit the Summerlin location). Khoury's currently has one of my favorite all time beers (Founders Blushing Monk) and an excellent Mead (Superstition PB&J Crime Scene) on tap!

17. tringlomane

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Blushing Monk is great, but not $6 for 8 oz. great... Damn.

I shared the one 12 oz. bottle of Blushing Monk I bought (for ~$4) with @wanker751, @jenblase, and @TriggerMN. But I don't think Trigger tried, he's more of a Stella man.

[​IMG]

• Love Love x 1
  18. wasilla

wasilla Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the tips.
    6/7/19, Friday at the 4 queens.
    I didn't sleep much, but I'm up early. I sleep with the curtains open. I like the view at night, and I don't sleep too much of the morning away. Besides, it's four queens day!! I'm only getting $100 up front free play, but they are offering everyone $10 of FP for every $800 of coin through on vp. The FP maxes out at $400 so I am looking at $32,000 coin in. I ask the cortez desk for a late checkout, but it isn't happening today. I still haven't figured out what play to make and am thinking it through as I walk along Freemont. As I wait for the walk sign at LV Bld, I'm briefly interrupted by a guy striking up a conversation. He quickly moves on to talking to himself, so I go back to my own self talk. I could play JOB or DB, or DDB for .25 to $1.00. I decide that the best way to make sure that I maximize the promotion is to play .50 JOB. Sounds like a plan, right? Fact is that even I don't know what I'm going to do. At other places you are likely to see me do what I've laid out days, weeks or months in advance. At 4 queens I'm a bit off the chain. I may be playing .25 JOB, or I may have 2 grand that I'm shoving into dollar DDB. Whatever I do always seems like a good idea at the time. So I know what I plan to do today, I just don't know what will actually happen. I mostly survive the experience unscathed, and most of those tales have happy endings. What will happen this weekend?
    Four Queens is a magical place for me. For a while, Chicago Brewing was giving back the amount of your check back in free play. I used that to learn to play the old 10/7 DB progressives in front of Magnolias. I played so much they started comping me. They were my first mailed offers. I also hit Royals there. I remember feeling wiped out by a $600 losing night a MSS only to hit a royal the next morning before I had even checked in. Another time I had won and lost $1,000 at the Freemont. On the way back to my 4 Q's room, I started playing $1 DB and won $1,400. My claim to fame is that I hit the last progressive before they removed the Magnolia machines. Even my losses have a silver lining. After losing hundreds after hundreds on a terrible day, I got upset, went to the Cal, and hit for $4,000. I have more stories, but I'll stop there.
    I do start playing .50 JOB at 8:05 AM.I get to order a baily's and coffee and water. I've also recorded my stating point total. I am pleased to discover that I lost track of my win/losses and have a few hundred dollars more in my wallet than I thought. Ahh the anticipation.
    At 8:49 I lost my first hundred. At 9:58, I redrew all 5 cards and 4 of the new ones were all Kings. Happy days have arrived! At 10:21 I lose another hundred. I have only put less than $5,000 through. I was thinking how much I liked a suite on a previous trip, went to the hosts office, and talked to Paul. First, he was nice enough to treat my request seriously. Then he was that they had a couple suites left and he gave me one. I was happy to go back to EC to check out and give my luck a chance to change. I had gotten a $10 comp at the EC kiosk and used it for breakfast. At checkout, I was a couple dollars over my $25 food credit. She wanted cash, I wanted to use a card. She waived the excess. They always waive the excess. The suite was ready when I got back. It has a big bed, couches and chairs, up end soap and shampoo, tooth brushes, mouthwash, keurog coffee, and a huge TV. It's cool. I always go green and will have $70 off room charges.
    I start playing again at 12:30 and quickly lost another hundred after another $ 1,000 through. I figured the cards could only get better and I switched to dollars. I lost a $100 at 1:09 and another at 1:16 and had only run through less than $2,000 this afternoon. I remembered the glory days this morning when my loss rate was a mere 5%. Brilliant move increasing my denomination, I kind of felt locked in, but talked myself down and switched back to .50c. I lost another $100 at 1:46. This one got all of $1,100 in play. I was down $500 today and had only earned 923 points, 513 of those this morning.
    Naturally I put another hundred in. I was continuing to lose, when at 1:53, I was dealt 4 Royal Spades. This had happened 20 times since I filled out my last 4 card deal here 2 weeks ago. This time I drew the Jack and the machine froze up. A bad gambling day had turned into a good one.
    I lost the rest of that hundred and quit at 2:50. I recorded that I was up $1,500, but I think now it was only 1,400.
    I took a break in my cool room. I then wen to Chicago brewing for some beer. started playing .25 DDB at 4:11PM
    I lost $100 playing slow while drinking at 5:06. I hit kings at 5:44 and again at 6:24, queens at 6:26 and Kings again at 6;38. I had won back my hundred and then some. The bar had flooded, but I was at the water's edge and continued to play on. I lost all of it at 8:14 with 231 points.
    I had an 8:30 reservation at Hugos. I came in with my Chicago brewing IPA. Last I checked they didn't serve a beer I wanted. They had had a more moderate flood and had to reseat some people in the bar area. They still had a table for me. We went through the salad and sorbet ritual just like their hadn't even been a flood. They had changed their menu. I ordered the New York steak. It came with garlic mash and asperigus. Dinner was relaxing, delicious, and took a bit over an hour.
    I went back to .50 JOB at 10:10 PM.
    I lost $100 at 10:29, again at 10:47 and again at 11:18. My points this session were costing a dollar per point. I called it a night. I recorded losing $1200, but thought at the time it was less. Factoring in the Royal and going by my records, I was still up $800 for the day.
    Tomorrow is another day. I don't know whether to laugh or cry about this one. I'm glad I hit that Royal, but can't believe how much of it I lost back today.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
    • Like Like x 6
    • Love Love x 2
    • Wow! Wow! x 1
  19. wasilla

wasilla Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    In real time, I just checked into MSS for a VP tournament and the last 3 days of my trip. I check out Thursday. If someone is around that wants to look at some documenting evidence AND report back to the board that I'm really not making this stuff up, I'm at MSS for the next 3 days. I appreciate those of you that just believe me, but if you're wavering now??? ..... well, the story might get a little stranger.

• Like Like x 3
  20. Norman Chad

Norman Chad Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Loving the report - that would be a lot of effort to make up all those details.

• Agree Agree x 2