1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

2014 Trip Report - Vegasworm's 40th Birthday (09/13-09/21) - Bellagio & Golden Nugget

Discussion in 'Vegas Trip Reports' started by Vegasworm, Apr 9, 2020.

1. Vegasworm

Vegasworm Finger Clicker Extraordinaire

Trips to Las Vegas:

My Trip Report

Hi VMB...

I took a break from the boards for several months after our late summer 2019 Vegas trip. Life got busier having two kids in middle school and one in their final year of elementary, and my part time job shifts increased. As a family, we did a Downtown Denver long weekend in September 2019, a week long trip to South Dakota in October 2019, and a Thanksgiving Vegas trip in November 2019. Throw in all of the holidays and four of the five of us having birthdays, and it was a busy fall/winter. :snore:

Spring has been super busy on the school/work front...until the quarantine happened and basically ended all of that. Now it's a more leisurely pace of "homeschool" and free time. I did dip my feet back into the VMB forums since I have four Vegas trips tentatively booked between June and October of this year. I've been catching up on some great retro trips and more recent trips posted in the last few months. Thanks as always to those of you who post! :thumbsup:

With the lack of reports thanks to Covid-19, I thought I would throw in one from a few years back to entertain those of you who might be interested. It will mostly be pictures with a bit of commentary. If you've ever read one of my reports, this one isn't much different, except for the fact that this 2014 trip followed a 7 year hiatus from Vegas. Yep, prior to Vegasworm's 40th birthday, the last time Vegasworm was blessed to be in Sin City was June of 2007.

20200409_155831.jpg
    V and Vegasworm (E) with 9 month old baby G. I was around 4 months pregnant with H. We were on our way to visit family in Utah and would stop in Vegas for a few nights in June 2007. We stopped off on the Arizona side of Hoover Dam back when you could exit and park there before the bypass bridge was built. Like I said....a lot changed by 2014.

A lot changed in those seven years, and it almost felt like starting over to some extent. Hence, my joining VMB to learn all I could before that 2014 trip. Since then, my family and I have returned to Vegas many times (I think I'm trying to make up for those lost 7 years) :p, and we are always looking forward to the next trip back!

Enjoy!

Vegasworm

*Please bear with me as I cobble this report together. I'm having to gather photos from various locations and try to get them loaded here along with clearing the cobwebs in my brain as to what we did on that trip.

• Like Like x 11
    • Love Love x 6
  2. ardee

ardee It's only money.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wonderful! Thanks so much for your report, @Vegasworm. :beer:

• Like Like x 1
  3. Vegasworm

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Day 1 (Saturday - September 13, 2014) (Vegasworm's 40th Birthday Trip)

In 2013 we moved from Texas to Colorado. At the time, my parents were living in New Mexico. So in 2014, being that my birthday is in September, all three of our girls were in school at the time (G - 2nd grade, H - 1st grade, and S - Kindergarten). My mom graciously came to stay with the girls and keep life running as normal as possible for them. My grandmother (who is now 94) came too. It was pretty hectic preparing for the changing of the guards, but I remember being so excited that I was finally going back to Las Vegas and would finally have some kid-free time! The girls are now in 5th, 6th, and 7th grades, so although life is still busy, it's not as intense as it was taking care of little ones.

We left late Saturday afternoon after having a small birthday party for me from the girls, since Mommy would be gone on her real birthday. G and I have birthdays that are six days apart, so my mom had gotten us a joint cake. I also received some nice gifts from my mom to use while in Vegas.

20200409_200848.jpg
    G and E sharing their birthday cake.

20274.jpeg
    I remember G was excited for us, but also sad we would be gone a week.

20273.jpeg
    G, S, and H...they were so little then. My mom and grandmother are in the background. So is our van Olive. Ha!

V and I left about 4pm that day and drove to the Best Western Antlers in Glenwood Springs. It's about a 170 mile drive from where we live in the suburbs south of Denver.

20271.jpeg
    Basic hotel that is nicely nestled in a mountain town.

20269.jpeg
    V had to bring along a lot of work on that trip. Boo!

20270.jpeg
    I was so excited to be on an adult vacation, that even a boring bathroom was picture worthy.

20268.jpeg
    We walked across the street for dinner at Tequila's. A couple of margaritas to start off the trip right!

When we got back, V worked some more and I treated myself to a bath in the puny tub. As with most trips, I hadn't pulled myself together ahead of time. We were planning on a spa day with pedicures and manicures, so I skipped my nails. However, I got the bright idea to try to rid myself of some facial peach fuzz with some depilatory cream I had brought.

Bad idea!!!! Burned the @%$# out of my sensitive skin face. I was still 39, so don't even know why I bothered. I think I was paranoid of turning 40. :rolleyes:

20200409_205125.jpg
    Not one of Vegasworm's finest moments! I think this complements my ugly eye picture from my report last summer. :kill:

I remember thinking I was going to spend my birthday trip looking like I had a disease or something. Thank goodness the redness had calmed down by morning.

The next day was our drive to Vegas! Day 2 coming up...eventually. Having a bitch of a time retrieving photos. :grrr:

Vegasworm

• Like Like x 6
  4. Vegasworm

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Day 2 (Sunday - September 14, 2014) (Golden Nugget Arrival Day)

We awoke fairly early and grabbed the continental breakfast the hotel offered. I was pumped to be on my way to Vegas. We had driven to Vegas many times from 1999-2007, but it had always been from Houston, TX. This was our first time to take I-70W from Colorado to Nevada and it was a beautiful drive in some parts. We thought it was cool that it was only a 760 mile drive instead of a 1,475 mile drive. Piece of cake!

20200409_212320.jpg
    Good morning Olive, ready for a quick jaunt?

Gotta love road trips for all of the scenic stops one can make.

20308.jpeg
    V at a rest stop in Utah.

download_20200409_153932.png
    E at the same stop.

download_20200409_185334.png
    We had lunch at the Little Wonder Cafe in Richfield, UT.

Now we had never stayed Downtown on any of our previous trips to Vegas. V's younger brother (I'm talking 18 years younger) convinced us to spend a few nights at The Golden Nugget. We booked 3 nights in a Rush Tower room and it was great! We had a great time exploring Fremont Street and parts of Downtown during that part of our stay.

20317.jpeg
    View from our room upon arrival. Can't remember our floor or room number.

Here are some shots of the room itself. I remember being pleasantly surprised how nice it was.

20315.jpeg

20316.jpeg

20313.jpeg

20314.jpeg
    V continued to do work, while I went downstairs to play slots for a bit before dinner.

20333.jpeg
    Woo, hoo Vegasworm is in Vegas and has a few days left in her 30s!

download_20200409_154017.png
    V snuck this shot of me playing at the Golden Nugget on arrival night.

Notice the bottle of water? Believe it or night, I didn't have an adult beverage my first night back in Vegas after seven years! Say what?!? :eek:Vegasworm in Vegas without a cocktail in hand! For those of you familiar with my previous reports, you'll understand the significance of this. I must have been shell-shocked to be back!

Dinner that night was a free prime rib at Magnolia's Veranda at the Four Queens using a birthday coupon that I can't remember how I got or knew about, but I remember my dinner was free.

20332.jpeg
    E's free birthday dinner at Magnolia's.

We walked around Fremont a bit that night.

20331.jpeg

20330.jpeg

I played a few slots that night and V did more work as I recall. We had already celebrated our arrival before dinner. :wink2:

It was a great first night and that special feeling knowing you've got several days of vacation still ahead of you. :headbang:

Day 3 coming up tomorrow...I hear rumblings upstairs, and we have "homeschool" tomorrow. This "teacher" has to get to bed.

Thanks for reading!

Vegasworm

• Like Like x 8
    • Love Love x 4
  5. Vegasworm

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Day 3 (Monday - September 15, 2014) (GN Spa, Mob Museum, Hugo's Cellar)

Good Morning VMB! I thought I would try to crank out another day before the girls are up, and I need to guide them with their online school assignments. Our schools are remote learning for the rest of the school year, so this is week 3 and becoming our new norm.

Day 3 of my 40th birthday trip began with our joint spa day at the Golden Nugget. We had done massages before in Sedona, AZ and on a cruise we took together, but we had never done a spa day with the spa amenities like the steam room, whirlpools, etc. In 2016 we did an amazing spa day at Aria that blew us away...Aria has spa rooms you can book for the day and also male and female common areas. At Golden Nugget, we were separated for our massages then brought back together for our manicures and pedicures.

I forgot to mention, that whatever room we had booked at the Rush Tower was on the floor that includes the extra food amenities by the elevators....snacks, coffee, water, candy, fruit, etc. We grabbed coffee and fruit for breakfast that day before heading to our morning spa appointment.

20428.jpeg
    Breakfast

20200410_065634.jpg
    Golden Nugget spa waiting area.

We were checked in and then whisked off to our separate massages. They must not have been that memorable, because neither of us remembers what kind we had.

20353.jpeg
    Steam, whirlpool, showers, etc. on the women's side of the Golden Nugget Spa.

After our massage session, they brought us to a joint area where we had manicures and pedicures at the same time. Our chairs were side by side but with quite a bit of space in between. We were the only people there, and we shared great conversation with the spa assistants who serviced us while sipping hot tea. I remember that part being a lot of fun.

20351.jpeg
    V getting his mani/pedi. The shine on his nails after being buffed lasted almost a year, I kid you not.

20357.jpeg
    E getting her mani/pedi. The polish on her toenails lasted about a week. LOL.

I believe our services ran about $600 total with tips. It was fun, but not as exquisite as the other spa experiences I've read about on VMB or compared to our Aria experience.

We finished up close to 1pm and headed here:

20365.jpeg

I had bought a ticket package online for both the Mob Museum and the Neon Museum. I think we saved $15/piece by bundling our tickets ahead of time.

20364.jpeg
    V with the good camera. E is a lazy photographer and always uses whatever phone she owns at the time.

20200410_070729.jpg
    Mob Museum mug shot. The museum was in its early stages back then. We literally trusted our phone to a stranger who took this picture. I think the last time we went, the staff takes your mugshot and then you can purchase it.

I love museums, and I was in my element at the Mob Museum. We were there for hours soaking in all of the gambling and mob related exhibits. I remember it being not crowded at all and a lot more free flowing than it is now. This was one of the highlights of my birthday trip.

20366.jpeg
    This is the only exhibit photo I took! I think V took a lot of pictures with our DSLR camera, but I've included Mob Museum photos in a previous trip report, so I won't bother to dig for his shots.

After almost three hours of perusing the Mob Museum, we had worked up an appetite. Knowing we had Hugo's Cellar for dinner, we just wanted something to tide us over. We ended up here:

20361.jpeg
    I believe The Commissary was a short Iived venture on the Downtown Grand's part. It was steps from the Mob Museum, and they were having happy hour which is why we popped in.

20362.jpeg
    We shared sliders, tacos, and hummus. You can see V's margarita in the background.

20363.jpeg
    E's first adult beverage in Las Vegas 2014! I think it was a Prickly Pear Margarita. :drunk:

I remember we were the only people in there the whole time, and I was thinking, "this place isn't going to make it." Man, Vegasworm is smart! :D

After our refreshments, we walked back to the Golden Nugget to freshen up and get ready for dinner at Hugo's Cellar. I gambled a bit that day and night, but not a lot since it was such a busy day.

I had been to Hugo's in 2004 for my 30th birthday and thoroughly enjoyed it. I had gone again in 2005 with my mom and grandmother and loved it then too, so it was on my to do list for my 40th birthday.

20200410_072943.jpg
    Everything is rose themed from the butter to the single rose ladies are given.

20400.jpeg
    Lounge area when you descend into the restaurant located under the Four Queens Hotel.

20392.jpeg
    E enjoying a Long Island Tea at the bar while we waited for our table.

*Something I need to point out. We moved to CO in 2013 and by 2014, I still hadn't found a hairdresser. My hair looked like ass back then! I was also close to 20 pounds heavier then than I am now, so some of these pictures I look a bit fluffy. :p

20394.jpeg
    Some yummy bread to start.

20407.jpeg
    I requested the sommelier find us a bottle of red from vintage 2004...LOL, I was paying homage to my 30th birthday trip on my 40th trip. I also asked to keep the price around $100.

20200410_074137.jpg
    V and I shared Chateaubriand and Lobster for two. It was divine and not available on the menu anymore.

20406.jpeg
    Our table side salad being made.

20200410_074429.jpg
    The resulting salad.

20200410_074541.jpg
    The intermezzo sorbet Hugo's always serves. Not as fancy as the one served on the Empress Lilly at Disney World when I was a kid. That one came in a chilled glass flower. Fancy!

Hugo's always serves chocolate dipped fruits at the end which is perfect. I was also brought a complimentary piece of cake for my birthday. I was trying to figure out why it said "Congratulations" instead of "Happy Birthday", but I think it had to do with a joke about being kid-free on our trip.

20402.jpeg
    Congratulations on getting older...hmmmm.

It was a lovely dinner and was just as special as the one on my 30th birthday. I hate to be a Debbie Downer, but our most recent Thanksgiving 2019 trip to Hugo's with our kids was an expensive shit show.

I won't go into details (maybe I'll eventually do a report from that trip), but the whole experience has gone downhill and left me feeling like this :soapbox: :grrr::cuss:. Screw you Hugo's, I won't be back! Thanks for the pre-2019 memories though.

Back to 2014...day 3 was an amazing day. We were left feeling stuffed, tired, and happy. I wish I could relive a day as nice as that one now. :)

Happy Good Friday! I'll work on Day 4 later today hopefully. It involves our first time at the Neon Boneyard and lots of Downtown drinking.

Cheers!
    Vegasworm

Last edited: Apr 10, 2020
    • Like Like x 12
    • Love Love x 1
  6. Saydeesgoto

Saydeesgoto Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Love a Vegasworm trip report! Wondered where you disappeared to and glad to hear you are all well.

I love your grandma’s fingers covered with rings - woman after my own heart with her jewelry and big hair :)

Thanks a bunch for writing this report and I so hope you are inclined to write more when you visit Vegas this year.

Celebrate daughter’s 21st - pray for me!
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Crawfordesquire

Crawfordesquire MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    @Vegasworm great report as usual, i expected nothing less. and I hope you enjoyed the martinelli- haven't had anything from them in a while but they usually made very good stuff, certainly more potent which is always appreciated :)
    and tell V i love the baggy jorts, what a fashionable dude he was :cheers:

• Like Like x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  8. fabriano

fabriano Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Very enjoyable report---as usual!!! Mom & grandma---beautiful.

• Like Like x 1
  9. pebbles

pebbles VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Enjoying your report. looking forward to the next instalment.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Vegasworm

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Day 4 (Tuesday - September 16, 2014) (Neon Museum, Downtown Drinking)

Anyone else hate dealing with insurance? Well, it's that time of year when our auto and homeowner's policies are going to renew soon. Our homeowner's policy went up some, but nothing crazy. Our auto doubled though! :eek: We've been on the phone today with stuck-at-home agents trying to find something cheaper to switch to. I think we've got it ironed out, but yuck...so annoying and boring!

20200410_163537.jpg
    This is Vegasworm dealing with insurance.

On to Day 4 of my 40th birthday trip from 2014. As mentioned before, my much younger brother-in-law talked us into giving Downtown a chance. We hadn't been together in the Downtown Vegas area for 10 years and only briefly for dinner then. It was nice to have several days to explore and take in more of the off Strip ambiance than we had ever done. This trip has had us going back Downtown time and again, where I don't think we would have given it a chance if we hadn't stayed there in 2014.

We woke up fairly early. V stayed in the room to do some work, and I went down after grabbing coffee in the Rush Tower to play some slots. I believe we had an 11am time to tour the Neon Museum, but no plans until then.

20446.jpeg
    Always love me a beautiful Vegas morning.

20445.jpeg
    The slots must not have been that great, this was my only picture from that day.

In 2014, we hadn't figured out the whole Uber/Lyft rideshare thing...that wouldn't happen until 2016. Since I do 99.9% of the driving in our family, and I hate driving in Vegas, once Olive is parked she stays parked unless it's moving day. We decided we could handle the September heat, and we walked from the Golden Nugget to the Neon Museum. We haven't tried that one again. LOL.

20464.jpeg
    Love this place!

20442.jpeg

20443.jpeg

20444.jpeg

I absolutely loved our first visit here! This was before the Neon Museum expanded to the adjacent properties and the tours became more controlled. We did a night tour in 2016 and most recently we took the girls in November of 2019. We did the Tim Burton Lost Vegas exhibit that was combined with the Brilliant! tour. So neat too, but the trade off is it's gotten more popular, so it's more crowded and more controlled just like the Mob Museum now.

After a long, hot, hungry walk back to Fremont Street we, we decided to have "brunch" at Hash House A Go Go at The Plaza. My brother-in-law had suggested this one too. It was delicious and huge portions. Oddly, we haven't been back in all of our return trips to Vegas.

20463.jpeg
    No clue what I got, but I remember being jealous of V's Bloody Mary from there. It looked awesome!

V is being stubborn and won't look for a 6 year old drink picture, so use your imagination. We bought two of the glasses pictured. Over time, the logo has worn off, but damn is it not the perfect size when I make Long Island Teas at home. :thumbsup:

20462.jpeg
    E's Andy's Sage Fried Chicken Salad.

V got the Andy's World Famous Sage Fried Chicken & Waffles. So. Much. Food. I'm too lazy to dig around his photos for a picture of it, and he's too busy watching James Bond right now. I'm sure many of you have had this yummy dish before though.

Feeling stuffed and deciding to do even more walking, we hit up the Downtown Cocktail Room when they opened. (I did go back to the GN to change into my evening clothes. I brought a lot of outfits on this trip!) I had read up about the "faux entrance", so we looked like pros going in.

20477.jpeg
    No cool entrance pic, just a blurry sign pic. Go figure!

I've only got pictures of my drinks. I've since learned to take pictures of all of our Vegas food much to V's and my children's chagrin.

20480.jpeg
    E's yummy cocktail #1.

20481.jpeg
    E's yummy cocktail #2.

Downtown Cocktail Room still has an amazing happy hour from 4-7pm. Half price off everything! We've gone several times since, most recently hooking up with @Crawfordesquire in June 2019 during our 20th anniversary trip. Great place! :beer:

During all of our visits here, we've only sat at the bar, never in the lounge area with couches and chairs.

20482.jpeg
    Downtown Cocktail Room bar.

Not sure how on earth we were hungry after HHAGG, but we ordered this:

20479.jpeg
    Downtown Cocktail Room snack...they don't prep food there, but get stuff from someplace nearby???

20478.jpeg
    The one way glass in the women's restroom is pretty cool. You can do your business and spy on all the ladies doing their makeup or lines of coke at the sink.

When we left, we did some walking and visited Container Park for the first time. I remember wanting to take the girls there. (We took them there for the first time in 2015. LOL)

20460.jpeg

20461.jpeg

20499.jpeg

20500.jpeg

Feeling thirsty, we proceeded on down to Atomic Liquor. We really like this no frills place and the whole story behind it. During our fall trip in October 2019, we toured two decommissioned missile silos. I kept thinking how a nice cocktail from Atomic Liquor would go nicely during the tour. :kill:That Minuteman Missile Site is something else.

Our girls weren't as thrilled with our Cold War ventures. They have politely declined a visit to the National Atomic Testing Museum in Vegas, which V and I enjoyed seeing in June 2019. Oh well, their loss!

20498.jpeg
    V at Atomic Liquor.

download_20200409_185331.png
    E at Atomic Liquor.

20497.jpeg
    E's tasty beverage at Atomic Liquor. Sorry, no pic of V's.

I do remember leaving Atomic Liquor that night and dying during the walk back to the Golden Nugget. I had changed out of the clothes and sneakers I wore when we walked to the Neon Museum earlier in the day. I tried to look cute and put on some heels which this girl doesn't do well! Doesn't matter if I was 16, 21, 30, or 40....heels always kick my feet and ass. I don't bother trying to look cute anymore. :rolleyes:

Ironically, I've spent my Good Friday writing a Vegas trip report. I work part time at our church and should have been working at the Good Friday service tonight. I just love having both a :wink2: and an :angel: side to Vegasworm. Who knew even churches would close down, and I would become unemployed from a pandemic. How biblical!

I'll get Day 5 posted tomorrow if Easter preparations don't sidetrack me. Day 5 involves moving to the Bellagio...and a lot of drinking...and driving. Bad Vegasworm! :thumbsdown:

TGIF friends!
    Vegasworm

Last edited: Apr 10, 2020
    • Like Like x 8
    • Love Love x 1
  11. cvkelz

cvkelz Extremely Low Roller- like, I barely roll at all.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My hubs got this same salad last December on our last trip and it looks just as delish then as it did when we got it. We saved the biscuit and ate it at the airport. I"m sure everyone was jealous but they were trying to be subtle. :haha::kill:

So glad you are posting this, I have missed your trip reports!!

• Like Like x 2
  12. amk121

amk121 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is really great, I am so glad you are sharing! Looking forward to the rest of your report!

• Like Like x 1
  13. Vegasworm

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Day 5 (Wednesday - September 17, 2014) (Moving to Bellagio, Peppermill, First Time at Frankie's, Giada)

Going to try and knock out one of the busier days of our 2014 trip. I got tired looking back at the pictures and seeing what we squeezed in that day. I'm pretty wimpy. Today is a gorgeous day in Colorado, and my kids just got new bikes, so we're going to hit the trails near our home later this afternoon. We live in an exercise crazed community. (V and I are outliers when it comes to that. :whistle:) People are going nuts with the gyms and rec centers closed, so the trails have been super busy. We do our best to avoid people and follow the six foot rule. Unfortunately, Easter Sunday for us looks to be a high of 28 degrees and 3-6 inches of snow. Today is a high of 67 and sunny. Go figure! So, we need to enjoy our good weather while we can and get stuff ready for our Easter celebration tomorrow.

Before I start the new day, I finally got into V's pictures and can fill in some gaps.

IMG_20140916_125236.jpg

V's Bloody Mary from HHAGG.

IMG_20140916_131127.jpg
    V's Chicken and Waffles from HHAGG.

IMG_20140916_175533.jpg
    V's Drink #1 at Downtown Cocktail Room.

IMG_20140916_182708.jpg
    V's Drink #2 at Downtown Cocktail Room.

IMG_20140915_222405.jpg
    We did a Pour Over Kona Coffee at Hugo's Cellar.

Okay, back to our regular programming. Day 5 was moving day to the Bellagio, which meant we would be retrieving Olive from the shackles of valet. We (I) made good on having transportation, and we hit up the Peppermill for breakfast and drinks and then went to Frankie's Tiki Room for the first time before checking into the Bellagio. A trend you'll see from this report is how much stuff we tried on our 7 Year Hiatus return trip that we still incorporate into recent trips we've taken. :rolleyes2: Honestly, this report looks basically like all of my others except we we're kind of "Vegas Virgins" in 2014 since we had been away for a while.

20529.jpeg
    Bye Golden Nugget, I really enjoyed my first stay here. Don't worry, Vegasworm will be back!

We had been to Peppermill before, but it had been a long time, so it was nice going back. We're hoping to hit it up this summer if everything stays on track.

20532.jpeg
    Hello old friend!

20531.jpeg
    E at Peppermill.

20527.jpeg
    V at Peppermill.

20523.jpeg
    E's meal with V's in the background. We've since learned to share due to the huge portions.

A trip to Peppermill isn't complete without some drinks in the Fireside Lounge.

20525.jpeg
    Always love when it's not crowded and you can sit by the fire pit!

20535.jpeg
    Cosmo for E.

20534.jpeg
    Brandy Alexander for E.

20533.jpeg
    E got a little antsy since she hadn't done a lot of gambling Downtown, so she played a bit of VP.

IMG_20140917_120921.jpg
    Bloody Mary for V.

IMG_20140917_131744.jpg
    Manhattan for V.

With two drinks and a lot of food in my system, we hopped in Olive and headed to Frankie's Tiki Room. Have I mentioned before how I hate driving in Vegas and how V does almost none of the driving in our family? Oh yeah, I think I have. :poke:

download_20200409_153938.png
    Nice meeting you Mr. Frankie...the beginning of a beautiful friendship. See me getting ready to enter and adjust my eyes to the darkness?

20549.jpeg
    E ordered her now favorite, a Three Rum Scum. I make it at home, but actually mine is a Four Rum Scum.

20548.jpeg
    V chilling at Frankie's. Haha, it looks like a pair of boobies above him.

20546.jpeg
    V holding the loot we purchased (2 tiki mugs and Frankie's cocktail book). Since 2014 we managed to add 4 more mugs for a total of 6. We use them a lot at home!

If you've read some of my past reports, there's one where we got into a bit of trouble day drinking at Peppermill and then hitting Frankie's up for an additional 3 drinks. Thankfully, we had learned how to Uber by then. I'm pretty paranoid of driving after I've been drinking, especially when I have out of state plates. We limited ourselves to one drink this time with lots of water as a chaser. We did make it safely to the valet at Bellagio and had our luggage taken by the bellman.

20581.jpeg
    Judging from this picture's blurriness, maybe Frankie's had a stronger effect than I thought. The check-in line at Bellagio.

We were in room 10022 which was one of the lower floor Fountain King rooms. I don't remember what we paid, but we had no comps or anything since we hadn't been to Vegas in 7 years. I don't even think MLife was a thing back in 2007 when we were last there. I think our player's cards then were MGM something or other. Here are some pictures of the room which we enjoyed immensely, having never stayed at Bellagio before.

20569.jpeg
    Decent view.

20564.jpeg

20563.jpeg

20565.jpeg

20568.jpeg

20567.jpeg

20566.jpeg

I was itching to play some slots and played a lot of Quick Hits.

20200411_134206.jpg

20598.jpeg

20200411_134431.jpg
    I do like to think of myself as a champion.

I was new to MyVegas and had cashed in $50 in FreePlay to use that first evening. Made all of those pre-trip hours of spinning worth it...I guess. LOL. Time to get ready for dinner.

20596.jpeg
    Sunset from our room. We were getting changed for dinner at Giada.

20672.jpeg
    I'm ready!

20608.jpeg
    On our way to The Cromwell for our first dinner at Giada. I think we've been back around 5 times since then.

20622.jpeg

20200411_135405.jpg
    My all time favorite drink, Barbarella, which was pulled from Giada's menu a few years later. I'm still in mourning. :cry:

20607.jpeg
    Drink #2 for E. This one is a fizzy champagne drink. The drink menu was on an iPad, which in 2014 seemed cool. Now it just seems clichéd.

IMG_20140917_194655.jpg
    V's drink at Giada.

20200411_135753.jpg
    E at Giada.

20606.jpeg
    V at Giada.

20200411_140012.jpg
    The bread service...which has gotten smaller in choices each time we've returned.

20200411_140326.jpg
    Giada's famous Lemon Spaghetti. We get it every time...I believe the price has increased $8 since then. Every time we go, the price hasn't gotten higher. :bang:

IMG_20140917_203624.jpg
    Cauliflower soup.

IMG_20140917_204001.jpg
    Chicken Cacciatore for Two before it was divided onto our plates.

IMG_20140917_205155.jpg
    About to serve up!

IMG_20140917_205609.jpg
    Our separate portions of everything we shared at Giada.

IMG_20140917_212826.jpg
    Dessert...on this first visit, they wheeled the dessert trolley around the restaurant and you could pick from several sweets on the cart. When we went back, they had stopped doing this.

After a lovely dinner and us declaring Giada our favorite new restaurant, we stopped by the check-in desk and bought my mom an autographed Giada de Laurentiis cookbook to take back as a thank you for watching the girls. We also did the free photo booth that at the time printed actual photo strips. Upon later visits, it changed to texting or emailing the picture. I miss the actual printed photo strip.

20621.jpeg
    V waiting as I purchased the cookbook for my mom.

Now keep in mind, the Vegas Strip looked so different to us this time around. The last time we had been in this territory, we had listened to a Dean Martin-like crooner at The Barbary Coast. Now we were enjoying dinner at The Cromwell. So. Many. Changes. We explored the new Linq Promenade area and tried to remember how things looked when the old Imperial Palace was there. We popped into a lot of the shops, and I LOVED the Polaroid store that was there. I think this is gone now??? I don't remember seeing it on our Thanksgiving trip.

20651.jpeg
    We explored the upstairs museum part.

20650.jpeg

20649.jpeg

20648.jpeg

20647.jpeg
    Why hello Mr. Warhol, fancy meeting you here.

I remember spending almost two hours trying to use the kiosk there to print photos from my phone that come out looking like Polaroids. You could put captions on them and it took me FOREVER to choose the photos I wanted and then get it all transferred and printed...kind of like doing a trip report. :kill:I bought a cool frame that has slots for six pictures and they swivel giving it a front/back dimensional look. I'm not much of a Vegas shopper, so this has been one of my more meaningful purchases from there.

20669.jpeg
    The photos I printed at the Polaroid store.

I think we closed down the Polaroid place and got out of there around midnight. My feet were killing me as usual. We were still in awe of how Vegas had changed. We walked around a bit taking in the little shops and the nightlife in the Linq area.

20666.jpeg
    Doesn't V look in awe of the High Roller?

IMG_20140917_232541.jpg
    We didn't try the High Roller until a future trip.

We hobbled back to the Bellagio around 1am and called it a night. The next day was my actual birthday, and we had a big day planned and wanted to feel rested. It was another amazing day, and also the last day I could say I was in my 30s. :(

Hope everyone has a great Easter tomorrow! I will try to finish out this report in the next few days. I forgot how time consuming these things can be!

Vegasworm

Last edited: Apr 11, 2020
    • Like Like x 7
    • Love Love x 2
  14. carolineno

carolineno VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Love the report! Too bad about the barbarella drink! Why do they take away the drinks we love ? Your report gives me hope that all the bartenders who are able are hard at work creating new, post-crisis drinks for us tourists. I’d happily pay more at this point!

Entire trip at my favorite hotel!
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. notfromconcentrate

notfromconcentrate Connoisseur of dive casinos and obnoxious outfits

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Vegasworm, amazing reporting! When people gush about the amount of detail I put into my reports I just sort of think of it as nothing special and me "just doing my thing"... but I think I know how other people feel when they read my reports when it comes to the photos, the stories, and the sidebars.

Comparing your account of eating at Giada's in 2014 to other stories I've heard since then, it does seem things have changed quite a bit. I'll have to try it for myself... the main appeal for me is the view, though I still hear reasonably good reviews about the place... so it's still on my list.

That's so cool that there was a Polaroid museum too! Most of the photos my grandparents took of my brother and I when we were growing up were on Polaroid film, so that technology has always had a special place in my heart.

No words for that view at Bellagio though... wow. Just amazing. I was supposed to stay at Bellagio later this month (on a MyVegas comp) and was ready to slip $40 as a tip for any fountain view room. Too bad that can't happen now :( lol

Hopefully you'll be able to convince V to dig up some of his photos :) can't wait for the next update!

Wynn, Eastside Cannery, Laughlin, Plaza (Super Bingo), side trip to LA
    • Like Like x 3
  16. Merrymeet

Merrymeet Tourist

I love all the great reminiscing! Thank you! Hope we all can share real-time reporting before too long. Meanwhile, please stay safe and stay well.
    !

• Like Like x 1
  17. Johnzimbo

Johnzimbo VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So the finger clicker didn't come into being until after 2014 eh?

• Funny Funny x 3
  18. Vegasworm

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ha! Good question! Actually, the very first finger clicker was ordered on July 18, 2014 (I just checked my Amazon history). It was a plain black one...not the rainbow and sparkly sets I have now. I just took a single one with me and it replaced my old system of making hash marks in my gambling notebook to keep up with my spins. I still keep gambling notebooks to keep up with my wins and losses (mostly losses) when I play slots, but I leave the counting to my oh so fancy finger clickers now. So, my 40th birthday trip was also the inaugural voyage of my first finger clicker. :peace:

Black Finger Clicker.jpg
    This is the picture pulled from Amazon of Vegasworm's first finger clicker. It must have brought me luck, as my biggest win ever is coming up in my next installment.

Vegasworm

• Like Like x 4
    • Love Love x 1
  19. JoJoR

JoJoR VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Excellent report! I'm curious about your trip week-long trip to South Dakota.

Using Up My Wynn Slots Gems
    Vdara? Caesar's?
    • Like Like x 1
  20. tringlomane

tringlomane STP Addicted Beer Snob

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Great stuff! And good memory from 7 years ago! The trips I didn't write TRs for are much more faded in memory. :(

• Like Like x 1