1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

13 days at Excalibur, low rolling, sightseeing, relaxing.

Discussion in 'Vegas Trip Reports' started by Pancakes, May 5, 2018.

1. Pancakes

Pancakes Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Challenge accepted, NYNY.

20180513_211401.jpg

• Like Like x 8
    • Funny Funny x 5
    • Wow! Wow! x 2
    • Love Love x 1
  2. TenTimesPay$

TenTimesPay$ Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So making pancakes in the morning:feedme:

3. boxofbirds

boxofbirds Royal Flushless

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Trip #16 for ZorkFest
    • Funny Funny x 3
  4. Pancakes

Pancakes Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's still on my to do list :cool:

5. Pancakes

Pancakes Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Saturday it was finally time to try the pancakes from the breakfast place down in the food court. Welp, they tasted as good as they look

2018-05-13 16.57.14.jpg

(That's overwhelmingly average)

We walked over to MGM to get our MyVegas 2 for 1 Monorail tickets and headed up the Strip.

Got off at the linq and after some exploration went to the Yard House for lunch. We like this place and have never had a bad meal, plus they have a great beer selection.

I started off with the Big Sky Moose Drool, one of my favourites.

2018-05-13 16.58.08.jpg

Had the pizza that comes with a side of tomato soup. If you've never dipped pizza in tomato soup then you haven't lived.

Go, try it now. I'll wait.

2018-05-13 16.58.39.jpg

After that I went onto the Boulder Nitro Shake Chocolate Porter. Try ordering that when you're drunk! It was also excellent.

2018-05-13 16.59.10.jpg

At this point I decided my chips needed some ketchup. Who serves you chips in a bowl with a hole in it? Honestly.

2018-05-15 17.16.35.jpg

Luckily the waitress saw the funny side of it.

After that we had a look around the Linq, Harrahs, Flamingo. Nothing dramatic to report here.

We made our way back on the Monorail. Props to the guy who was singing 'Monorail!' ala Simpsons periodically. I was tempted to join in on the harmonies but wasn't quite drunk enough. Maybe next time.

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Like Like x 3
  6. BlackJackLady

BlackJackLady Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    i just got home a week ago and these reports make me want to go back now!

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Pancakes

Pancakes Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sunday didn't get off to a great start. We'd got the Monorail up to the linq again and were looking for somewhere for breakfast.

There's this place near the high roller end called Canters, and the menu looked Ok so we thought we'd try it.

After it took 20 mins just to get coffees we were tempted to leave, but thought we'd give them a chance. Well it took about 50 mins to get our food.

When it came, there was another problem, can you spot the flaw in the eating arrangements?

2018-05-15 17.05.41.jpg

Yup, no cutlery. We asked our waitress for some. Instead of going and getting it she started serving coffee to another table!

We waited a bit longer, should again have walked out, but I was starving at the point! It transpired they had run out! Seriously! ? Anyway another 5 mins later we got it and could eat our cooling food.

After all that, it was shit, too. However, credit where it is due, the coffee was very good.

It's extremely rare that I will have to talk to the manager but I had to in this case as we weren't paying for this experience.

After that we walked over to the forum shops to see the Atlantis show, and availed ourselves of a oversize strawberry squishy from Fat Tuesday. How are you supposed to get the last bit?

2018-05-15 17.55.20.jpg

For dinner we went to Bruxie's chicken and waffles. Here we have chicken with a chili honey glaze, on a bacon cheddar waffle. Oh yes. Omg it was amazing. Feel free to lick your screen, but it probably won't work. Sorry.

2018-05-15 17.55.55.jpg

Beer was some over-hopped IPA. Wasn't to my taste.

After that we had a few beers and wandered around the Park area. It's a nice place to be on a warm evening.

I'm going to call this one 'Fear and Leaning in Las Vegas'

2018-05-15 17.59.29.jpg

Another couple of pics

2018-05-15 17.58.20.jpg
    2018-05-15 17.57.04.jpg

Did you know the manhole covers in NYNY actually steam like the real ones in NYC? Amazing attention to detail!

2018-05-15 18.00.13.jpg

So the day ended on a downer...

When we got back to our room, our noisy new neighbours were in full flow. They'd been loud earlier but we thought maybe they were just getting settled. Nope. Gits.

• Wow! Wow! x 5
    • Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. Lisa108

Lisa108 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wow, Pancakes. I'm loving your TR's. I'm ready to leave for Vegas now and I still have 3 months to go. It looks like you and Mrs P. are having an awesome time. I can't wait to show my
    hubby Vegas like this. It will be his first time to Vegas. August looks soooo far away. LOL!!!

Las Vegas
    • Like Like x 3
  9. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Your bangers appear incinerated?

As for your overly hopped IPA, many beer bars will list the IBU or International Bitterness Units scale for its draft brews. The higher the number, the more bitter the beer. If you’re not familiar with a beer some bars will offer a sample. My bride was stuck on Coors Light until I had her try Blue Moon and then some Marzen style brews. I’m not a fan of asking for a sample from a waitress if it’s busy, but it has saved me from quaffing my wife’s clunkers.

Last edited: May 16, 2018 at 5:35 AM
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. VegasGroove

VegasGroove VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Pancakes, you are too funny! I am loving this report and the great pics!

Bowl with a hole - ridiculous!

• Like Like x 3
  11. Fet297

Fet297 Where memories are made!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Nothing like a glory hole for your chips.:noangel: I'm enjoying your TR and the sense of humor you bring to the content.Thanks for posting!:cheers:

Summer getaway
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Royal Flusher

Royal Flusher Savvy Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We should boycott:
    - restaurants that serve chips in a holy bowl
    - restaurants that serve food on a tray/in a basket with a paper liner. Give me a plate (no holes) please.
    - restaurants that keep cutlery hostage, no matter how good the coffee

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  13. luridludicloco

luridludicloco Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am curious, did you get any discount from the Canters manager for that awful experience there? Were you charged just for the coffee?
    I like pancakes too and love blueberry pancakes (incorporated blueberries, not on the side). Did you come upon some good ones of those in Vegas?
    Very funny and entertaining report, thank you.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Pancakes

Pancakes Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah they tried to give us 25% discount to start with but we ended up just paying for the coffee.

I've seen a few fruit options, but I'm not a fan so not paid much attention, sorry!

15. Pancakes

Pancakes Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Monday morning didn't start off well. Our neighbours have 3 kids. The youngest is a squawker, and did so from about 7 am . The older two seem to enjoy going into the hallway and running up and down, not forgetting to bang the door as much as possible. Unfortunately I don't know enough of their language to express my frustration eloquently enough, but to be honest if the parents gave a shit they would keep the kids under control in the first place. We're hoping they move out today.

So... after our rude awakening, our Monorail (Monorail!) tickets were still valid so we headed up to SLS to see what was new. The coffee shop still does rather decent coffee, and had a pastry as well.

2018-05-16 09.46.21.jpg

Some interesting restaurants, the Japanese place looked particularly good. Shame it's in the arse end of nowhere.

After that we walked up to the Stratosphere to have a look around. Spotted this car along the way, pretty cool!

2018-05-16 09.47.03.jpg

Explored the Stratosphere, lost a few bucks in the slots. Grabbed some nuggets from Mcds to tide us over to dinner, didn't take a photo as I assume you guys know what they look like!

2018-05-16 09.48.04.jpg
    We'd done a suprising amount of walking by this point so headed back to SLS, avoiding the sketchy characters where possible. Wouldn't want to walk around there in the evening. We got the Monorail back to the castle.

• Like Like x 4
  16. Pancakes

Pancakes Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So when we got back to our room it was immediately obvious that our lovely neighbours had not checked out that day. So I went down to the front desk to see what they could do.

The staff were amazing and so helpful! (And sympathetic!). They looked around for another room for us and upgraded us to the Royal Tower (which is normally a few quid extra) for free. Which was nice.

So here's a couple of pics of the Royal Tower room. The furnishings are a bit more modern. Whether it's 'nicer' is subjective. The bathrooms are the same.

20180514_170804.jpg 20180514_170821.jpg

And the view from the window...

20180514_175847.jpg

Not bad.

• Like Like x 5
  17. pebbles

pebbles VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Glad you got a move. Noisy neighbours can be a nightmare.

• Agree Agree x 3
  18. Skybird

Skybird Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Enjoying your TR and hope your new room brings you some peace and quiet. Vegas is a fun lively place but I think children should be left a home or a hotel for families only. So the children can let loose and enjoy themselves too.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Pancakes

Pancakes Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That evening we felt we deserved a bit of a treat, so we went for dinner at Il Fornaio in NYNY. We normally end up here at some point every trip, the food and service is good and it's not overly expensive. Tonight was no exception and I had the Pollo Toscana, Mrs P had the spaghetti and meatballs. Both excellent. Washed down with a bottle of merlot.

2018-05-16 09.52.45.jpg

On the way back to our room I think I scared some French people in the lift. I'd had a couple of beers by this point plus half a bottle of merlot so while I still had most of my faculties, I was pretty well oiled. They were discussing the floor numbers and mentioned '18' (in English).

I dredged the depths of my memory, all the way back to learning French at school, and after a moments ponderance blurted out DIX HUIT! They turned as one (or should that be un? ) to look at this drunken idiot. I couldn't think of anything else to say, but then it came to me...

'Ca va?' I asked, probably too loudly, but nodding vigorously.

Thank God they smiled and replied that they were ca va bien, merci. We all chuckled, and they got off at their floor wishing us a bon nuit. Who says you never learn anything useful in school?

• Funny Funny x 8
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Suekel

Suekel VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Excellent TR so far, really enjoying it. You two have gotten to a lot of different areas so far. If you go back to the Linq, Off the Strip is pretty good.

Vegas with The Graduate
    • Like Like x 1