1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

11 Nights in Vegas (a new personal record)

Discussion in 'Vegas Trip Reports' started by fasbman, Mar 9, 2019.

1. fasbman

fasbman Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:

My Trip Report

Unlike some posters here (which I greatly admire their capacity for doing so), I will not post a day by day summary of what transpired. Instead I will discuss it by category.

Flights

I flew Southwest out of Houston Hobby and back. I admit that I was a little apprehensive flying them due to their current issue with above normal flight cancellations, but both flights were basically on time. The only slight annoyance was when we landed back in Houston and it took almost a half an hour sitting there due a plane still being at our gate, and some trouble with the jet bridge. Overall though, not a big deal in the grand scheme of things.

Hotels

I ended up staying at three different hotels during my stay (all comped). They were of different grades of luxury. The first hotel was a three night stay in a Palace tower room at Caesars. The room was great as always, and the service was outstanding. Also, having now stayed at Caesars for several times, I can actually find my way around that huge property.

After Caesars (please try not to laugh) I went to Circus Circus for three nights. My reasons for choosing that hotel were twofold. One, I needed to break up stays at Caesars owned properties, and the second is a large amount of comps that I had available to share with a friend.

I have a good friend from Texas who now lives in California. Unfortunately, he is doing poorly healthwise and is not in great financial condition either, and as a result has almost become a home shut-in. I invited him to meet me in Vegas. My room was comped, and I had enough comps to cover off his room and food (I will cover food in another section). He seemed to enjoy himself on this trip, and I think that I still have enough comps left there to cover him off for another trip or two.

Circus Circus gets a lot of grief. We both stayed in the Main tower and while the rooms are not in the same category as Caesars, they are clean and perfectly fine basic rooms. Now, there is a vast difference between the Main tower and the Manor rooms at Circus Circus. I stayed in the Manor rooms once, years ago, and will never stay there again! They are motel rooms located across the street from the hotel. Definitely, I would feel very uncomfortable walking back to those rooms late at night.

After three nights, my friend left to go back to California, and I moved over to Paris for five nights. I like Paris. It's centrally located and has a mini frig. I had an end of a hallway room (a P room) with much more room than I needed. I specifically asked for a room located as far away from the Chateau nightclub as possible. They were able to grant my request and aside from some construction noise during the day, the room was blissfully quiet. All in all, a great room.

Gambling

I will admit it up front, it was not a winning trip. Unless you hit a sizable jackpot, an eleven day trip is not likely to be profitable. I play about 80% video poker. The rest was slots and about an hour of blackjack since that is what my friend wanted to play one day. Out of 11 days, I only had two really bad days. One was the first night I was there (I had thought of just going to bed early, I should have followed that plan). The other was my next to last full day. I play a lot of multi hand VP. When you are rarely dealt a high pair or even more rarely, two pair or better, it can get very expensive, very quickly. The other 9 days, I was either modestly higher or lower, so it could have been much worse. As a plus, with the February 2X bonus, I should be over 25K tier credits for the year now, which will give me free diamond lounge (excuse me, laurel lounge) access through Jan. 2021.

Food

The one somewhat extravagant meal I had was at the Circus Circus steakhouse. Say what you will about the hotel, they have a very good steakhouse with impeccable service (Our waiter had been there for 35 years). Also, it's NOT ala carte, like so many fine steakhouses these days. It chewed up (no pun intended) a decent amount of comps, but it was worth it. More importantly, my friend said he had been looking forward to it, ever since we had talked about going on the trip, and he enjoyed every bite.

The only other place of note that I ate at was Joe's Seafood in the forum shops attached to Caesars. I had met a nice couple on a cruise that happen to live in Vegas. We had a late lunch there (the food is excellent) and then I treated them to a visit to the Caesars Diamond Lounge afterwards, which they really enjoyed.

Entertainment

I went to the Shark reef exhibit at Mandalay Bay. It was well worth the money, in my opinion. Later, once I was solo again, I went to the Real Bodies exhibit at Bally's. It was interesting, but it is kind of a one and done.

Final thoughts

As I alluded to in the title, 11 nights was a new record for me. My old record was 10 nights, and that is only because Hurricane Rita closed down both Houston airports and I couldn't fly home. Would I do 11 nights again? Probably not, since the last couple of days, I was really, really ready to leave Vegas. But will I be back for a week or so trip; definitely!

• Like Like x 23
    • Love Love x 1
    • Wow! Wow! x 1
  2. john1516inny

john1516inny Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks, really nice report. Great you were able to something nice for your friend. Love the P rooms at Paris. Diamond check-in is great isn't it!

• Like Like x 3
  3. carolineno

carolineno VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Great report. You are a good friend. Another thing I love about Vegas - if you get comped rooms you can always treat a struggling friend to a bug-out trip to Vegas to get away from it all.

Part One - Ballys Strip View!
    Part Two - Aria Sky Suite!
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Johnzimbo

Johnzimbo VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A true friend would have comped his friends room at Caesars.

Just kidding, that was a cool thing you did for your buddy. Thanks for the report!

Hanging with Pete
    • Like Like x 2
  5. fasbman

fasbman Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I agree on the check-in, especially on a Friday! I would have a very hard time going down from diamond for that reason alone.

6. Kobra2848

Kobra2848 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Nice report and cudos for treating a friend. I don't think I could do 11 nights. I haven't made it to Circus Circus in years and have always wanted to try their steakhouse.

Mark

• Like Like x 1
  7. fasbman

fasbman Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks! To my mind, the Steakhouse is a good value. It's old school, with lot's of leather and the beef aging in the glass lockers as you walk in. If I remember right, he had a huge ribeye, along with a side and a salad. I had a filet mignon also, with a side and salad. The tab was under $160 before tip (there was no tax, it being a comp).

8. Vegasworm

Vegasworm Finger Clicker Extraordinaire

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Nice report! I really want to try the steakhouse at Circus Circus some day. How nice of you to treat your friend to a vacation. I bet that was a nice break from life for him.

Vegasworm

20th Wedding Anniversary Trip with V!
    Paul McCartney Concert and 20th Anniversary Celebration!!!
    • Like Like x 2
  9. RedChip

RedChip VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the report. That's awesome you hosted your friend for some fun times. I liked positive words about Circus Circus too. They do get bashed a lot. CC is a possible brief gambling stop for me next month.

• Like Like x 1
  10. amk121

amk121 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Great report, and that was really nice you did that for your friend!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  11. Flowers

Flowers VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Loved your trip report and your generosity I agree that the steakhouse at CC is excellent and has a truly old school feel because it IS old school. Though the gambling wasn't the best it sounds like you had a great time.

My trip in April is 11 nights, technically 12, but I get there very late the first night, and I can't wait. I wish it could be a full two weeks but I am happy with what I have planned. A long trip can be tough on the bankroll but at the same time I tend to pace myself a lot better on longer trips.

I took a short trip to Vegas last weekend and it was a bloodbath; the most I have lost in a 3 day trip in 25 years of going to Vegas so you never know.

Celebrating our Nation's Birth While Winning Mega More at Encore!
    • Wow! Wow! x 2
  12. breanna61

breanna61 Super Moderator

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I ditto that! Since retiring....I have been wanting to do an extended stay but really have found that I enjoy myself more with a traveling companion in Vegas so it may have to wait until hubby retires or a friend gets brave enough to try it with me.

• Like Like x 2
  13. kkinwi

kkinwi High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Enjoyed your report! Sounds like a nice break having your friend join you. I thought my P room was "too big" for me also, but somehow struggled thru it!:)

Going to see Journey!
    • Like Like x 2
  14. Skybird

Skybird Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Enjoyed reading your report...nice to know that you were able to treat a friend to a special time!

• Like Like x 1
  15. Spivderman

Spivderman Macallan 17, please!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Or better yet, two friends whose 5-day schedules abut.

• Like Like x 3
  16. nancyf

nancyf Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    wow - 11 nights ... nice that you stayed in 3 different hotels.... and very nice that you treated a friend to a few nights.

• Like Like x 1
  17. sinnerman

sinnerman Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As so many have said, it was really nice of you to take care of your friend, especially with his health issues. I know Vegas always puts a smile on my face, especially when I need to take my mind of something.

And unfortunately yeah, as someone who does long trips, it is pretty hard to come out winning.

• Like Like x 1
  18. mganut

mganut High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Enjoyed your report...thanks for posting. I have a question as to the construction at Paris as I will be staying there in a few weeks.

I have read that I should stay below the 22nd floor to avoid the noise. Would you agree?

Thanks in advance!

• Like Like x 1
  19. fasbman

fasbman Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was on the 26th floor. When I checked in, they said that they try to put their diamond players on floors away from the construction, so who knows? I will tell you that I only heard construction noise once in the afternoon, and it wasn't too bad. They had a notice in the room that the construction wouldn't start until 8:30 AM if I remember right, and end by early evening.

There was another notice that window washing started last week, and I think that started around 7 AM. However, I never heard or saw them when I was there. I'm not sure how long that it supposed to last.

20. mganut

mganut High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks so much for the info fasbman...much appreciated!

I'm glad to hear that they told you about it in advance at the Diamond check in room.

Regards!

• Like Like x 1