1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

11 Nights in DT Vegas with an attempt at social distancing

Discussion in 'Vegas Trip Reports' started by wasilla, Jun 26, 2020.

1. ACSCLE

ACSCLE Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Good luck and take care of your knee! At least staying downtown compared to the strip should mean a lot less walking. Get some royals!

• Like Like x 1
  2. DiamondJim21

DiamondJim21 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Have a great trip! Good luck.

3. flyguyfl

flyguyfl VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Following along as well. Next best thing to being there. Your comment on risk taking was noted and very interesting. It would be fun to talk with you over a beer or two.

4. rooster42000

rooster42000 Brady # 1

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Good luck, and have a great and safe trip.

5. smerrian

smerrian View from Bally's

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You both fit my demographic...62 yo and desperately wanting to get back to LV. I, too, have my next trip planned for September. I'm very interested in how you perceive the safety of your trip.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. wasilla

wasilla High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks folks. I just got into my room and need to cool down a bit..

6/27 arrival at 4Q's

I left Wasilla a 3am AK time. When I moved here, the state had like 4 different time zones, but we're all synced up now. It was already light and I didn't bother going to bed. The drive to Anchorage is less than an hour and is beautiful. I found a reasonable long term lot to park and the shuttle was there in minutes. The AK Air kiosk tried to charge me for my bag. The line to see agents was long and not socially distanced. I decided to carry it on. I had time at the airport to laugh my ass off reading carlos at the table's TR. I wasn't quite finished when I noticed that it was boarding time. I had flown 75 K on AK Air in 2019. That puts me pretty high on the upgrade lists. I asked the agent if 1st was sold out. She said there was one seat left and my name was on the to of the list.

I think that some of you care what airlines are doing now, so I'll go into some detail. They left middle seats empty. My seat was in the first row, so I couldn't see a lot, but everyone I saw wore a mask. I think the main cabin was limited to coke, diet, and water. Premium probably had beer and wine added. First had red wine, beer, snack boxes and snack baskets. It wasn't lavish, but I enjoyed it. The FA spent a lot less time in the cabin. One FA spent time in 1st class reading her book. For my first leg 1st was sparsely populated, perhaps half full. I was the only passenger seated in row 1.

The 2nd leg out of Seattle was different. The gate agent told me that 1st was full, but when I tried to get on the plane, they gave me a 1st class seat in the 4th row. Same airline, same, POP's, different execution. First was much fuller, but the 2 of us traveling solo didn't have a neighbor. The main cabin still had empty middle seats. Mask use was sporadic. A uniformed off duty pilot left the cockpit to walk back to his seat with his mask hanging off his left ear. The couple in front of me were finding their masks an impediment to their making out and just removed their masks after this. Two kids next to me removed their masks as soon as they set down. I was starting to see why Washington might be getting increasing cases. I asked the flight attendant for a supervisor. She got the pilot and couple to wear their masks, sort of, for a while. Once the food and drinks came out, most of 1st just ditched their mask wearing. In the row behind me, a woman on the isle was loudly talking to a woman at the opposite window. Both were facing some poor masked guy sitting in the other aisle seat. When it was time to land everyone masked up again.

Basically nobody can control people except for themselves. In this case FA's weren't getting involved, but people did have a lot more space than usual.. I had managed to acquire a single n95 mask, switched to it on and went to sleep. I'd had 4 glasses of wine before 1:00 so dosing was easy.

The plane landed a terminal 2, instead of 3. This mad it a bit easier to catch the 109 to Bonneville Transit Center and to hobble to 4Q's from there. Going from first class to bus 109 is an exercise in perspective.

There was a sign a check in saying that the computer system was down. I couldn't fucking believe this shit was happening again. No worries though. The sign was reversed and was supposed to show rules for CC and debit..

Time for a shower and some gambling.

• Like Like x 7
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. patlives

patlives Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:

8. wasilla

wasilla High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Makes me wonder how often this happens if they have a sign for it.

• Like Like x 1
  9. wasilla

wasilla High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    6/27 at 4Q's

4Q's still has good VP, but a lot of the machines are shut off. An open 9/6 JOB was already hard to find on WE's and now their are fewer of them. Half the machines at Mikes' Bar have been turned off. I easily found a seat because the bar was Mikeless. The bar was shut and a server was taking drink orders. I initially couldn't get a machine at Chicago Brewing at 4Q's. This is actually common on WE's , but there weren't a lot of people. It was that half their machines were off. Apparently 4 players had pitched a tent for 6 hours. I did come back and found a machine. For the beer aficionados, the rotating tap was described as a triple Hawaiian. Never heard of that style so anyone in the know please chime in. I had 3 glasses of cabernet and a beer on the plane. I know that I claimed that I drank 4 glasses of wine, but the more sober me is only sure of 3 wines and 1 beer. I had sobered up with only a single Pina Colada this evening, but these Triple Hawaiians has got me in my room preparing for bed.
    I ate at Hugo's. The seafood Trio was much improved and delicious. I was told that they removed half their tables, but it looks to me closer to a third. Even on Saturday, the 9:00 and 9:30 seatings have less patrons.
    Self medicating the knee worked, at least so far. I gambled, but I'll wait till my head stops spinning to write about it.
    If anybody needs anything checked out at the D, 4Q's or Freemont, let me know. I probably won't get to the Cal, GG, Plaza, or DTG until the holiday WE.
    Till tomorrow, whatever hour that may be.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2020
    • Like Like x 8
    • Wow! Wow! x 1
  10. AyDee

AyDee is getting too old for this

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Good luck, @wasilla, we just returned home today.

There was a noticible attitude change thurs(?) with the harder mask rules. Heard it discussed w cage employee then proceeded to get hassled maybe 4-5 times in the last few hours of the night with warnings that I need to put my mask back on as soon as I finish smoking/drinking.

Excuuuusee meee, I may have been trying to slip a few breaths of spaced air during. I like the change though and noticed increased use the next day.

Looking forwards to your report, we did some grinding at 4q and had a lot of firsts based on your TRs: camped at Chicago brewing, ate there, tried Magnolias (twice- no cookies on sat), and had a great time.

I’ll probably put up some kind of TR sooner or later.

I wonder if I may have met you once at cal sports bar, there was a gentleman there talking about living in Alaska and seeing the aurora borealis. Bummer I couldn’t join the vp rager that apparently may begin.

The spacing makes machines precious. If anyone here, I believe you got the long camping skills.

Hit that positive variance hard!

(Oh yeah I was sitting right in front of the good liquor shelf at CBC, can you get those comped? Was dying for a Mac 12 but was trying to pace myself from a 4:00pm wake up)

(My legs were killing me on the second day, a bunch of Advil (&compression socks+a knee brace, and a few IPAs) seemed to help.

Had to book it, comped Terrace..
    Throw in a side of downtown
    • Like Like x 2
  11. unomas

unomas High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am 46 and have a trip planned for September, I too will be following with interest!

@wasilla have a great trip! I am interested too in what great beers you will find while playing VP.

Vegas
  12. unomas

unomas High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The flight is what worries me the most. I plan on wearing the N95 mask the entire flight and once in Vegas switching to the surgical masks

Vegas
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. carolineno

carolineno VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes the mask removal is also disturbing to me.

I see that you dined at Hugos. How is it dining solo there? It sounds fantastic but I will likely be solo if i end up going in the future.

Have a great trip!

Entire trip at my favorite hotel!
    • Agree Agree x 2
  14. smerrian

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've dined solo at Hugo's often. Never had a problem, always a positive experience.

• Like Like x 1
  15. smerrian

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ohhhh, Wasilla is a city in Alaska. Got it. Mapped it. My God, you're just south of Denali, the majesty of the terrain must be breath taking! And you get to view it all the time. I'm sooo jealous. But, what do you do in the Winter?

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. wasilla

wasilla High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Glad you enjoyed 4Q's. I've seen wine drinking regulars get better wine comped, The, to shelf stuff, though, they have to charge for. The Cal guy wasn't me, but I would like to meet you someday. I've got a bunch of D MP's and druken craps play may be the ticket.
    You probably already know that the promotion extends through August.

• Like Like x 1
  17. wasilla

wasilla High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wasilla itself is a massive strip mall with bars, churches, meth labs, a book store, and several places to buy guns. The scenery is nice though. The drive west, south, and north are really pretty. If you're thinking of coming, Alaska does covid tests at the airport. Your expected to quarantine until results come in. The plan was for it to take 2 days, but it has been taking several days longer.

• Informative Informative x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. wasilla

wasilla High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I like Hugo's. I had the seafood trio of salmon, shrimp and scallops served with skin on potatos although you can sub for rice or garlic mach. I don't like their beer selection, so I bring my own from Chicago brewing.

19. wasilla

wasilla High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    6/27 Saturday at 4Q's continued.

I've been up for a while and only gambled a few hours before dinner.

I couldn't get a machine at Chicago Brewing. A group had camped out and probably weren't going anywhere until they finished off the promotion. For those that don't know, 4Q's is esstentially giving back 1.25% in FP, up to $400. That requires playing $32,000 on VP which will net another $100 worth of pts. Their games include 9/6 JOB and 10/6 DDB.

I moved to Mike's Bar. While unstaffed, I could still get drinks. Mike makes a much better Pina Colada than the one that arrived.

I started playing the .25c 9/6 DDB progressive at 5:16pm. I got 10's at 5:52 for $63.50 and 4's with a kicker for $203. All but a couple of progressives had been hit so I switched to .50c 10/6 DDB. I hit 2's with a kicker for $800 at 6:21, J's at 6:36, 7's at 6:38, and 4's at 6:56. I had $840 in credits. I quit at 7:36 with 1,400 credits, up $500. There was a lot of personal space at the bar. A woman had taken he masks off, and a slot attendant nicely asked her to put back on. On my other side, a man would take off his mask to smoke and then put it back on when he was finished.

I moved to CB. The woman next to me was waiting for a pizza to go and was playing w/o a mask. She kept to herself and soon left. A couple came in after and took the machines on either side of me. Initially they mostly kept their masks on unless they wanted to yell at each other past me. I found that annoying. It got worse when they ordered food. They stayed unmasked talking through me and moving past me. I was considering assaulting someone and told the guy that masks were mandatory. He made the excuse that he was eating. I told him to eat then and to stop talking in my direction. I was loud enough that his partner also heard. They went back to eating and she soon put her mask back on.

I was playing .50c DDB, but wasn't having any luck. I was using my FP which is $450 and covers 3 months. I lost $100 at 7:53 and another at 8:02. I hit k's at 8:23 and lost that hundred at 8:49.I'd lost $300 FP on only around $1,500 coin in. I had a 9:00 dinner reservation at Hugo's, grabbed another beer and left.

Hugo's has moved out a lot of their tables. The staff was masked, I put my mask on when I interacted with staff, but no one else did. The meal, seafood trio, was great. Everyone seemed to enjoy their meal and I'm looking forward to coming back Monday. I was tired and went to bed shortly afterwards.

• Like Like x 7
    • Wow! Wow! x 1
  20. bman77

bman77 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Great report. I plan on trying to take the 109 to Bonneville as well since the WAX is shut down. Glad to see they still have some of the 10/6 DDB machines on at the bar even though it's closed.

Summer Vacation 2020