1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

“A Quick One, While He’s Away”: thecarve (and Pop) @ Cosmo, 11/20 -11/22

Discussion in 'Vegas Trip Reports' started by thecarve, Nov 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mnguy763

Mnguy763 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    • Like Like x 1
  2. thecarve

thecarve Misanthrope

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ugh...well, my luck ran out Wednesday morning. I woke up with what I assumed was a bad case of indigestion (a reasonable assumption considering how much I’d eaten the past two days). Unfortunately, by the time we made it to the airport, I was alternating between shivering and sweating. And I spent the two flights home in my jacket and under two blankets.

My fever broke early this morning so I was able to join the family for Thanksgiving festivities. But I wasn’t able to eat more than a few bites and I didn’t want to get too close to my niece and nephew (4 months and almost 3, respectively) in case I was still contagious.:cry: Oh well, Christmas is right around the corner so I’ll get to play with them then.

So anyway...I’ll try to get a wrap up done tomorrow and include thoughts on the food and try to give a few gambling stats (spoiler alert: they were pretty good :evillaugh:) for those who enjoy such things.

Thanks for following along and Happy Thanksgiving!

• Like Like x 2
  3. pebbles

pebbles VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sorry you were sick. We have had a similar thing too. Almost over it now, but it knocked the stuffing out of both of us.

• Like Like x 1
  4. ardee

ardee It's only money.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sorry to hear that. Feel better soon, Winner.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Chuck2009x

Chuck2009x VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Holy fuckin' shit, nice run.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. thecarve

thecarve Misanthrope

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As promised, a bit of a summary:

The Food

Milk Bar - I grabbed a soft serve (cereal milk) as a snack to tide me over until dinner the first night as well as a few cookies (corn and double chocolate) for the room. The soft serve was far better than the shakes I’ve had at Milk in the past - but neither it nor either of the cookies (which are my two favorites of their offerings) are worth the calories/$$. Head to Holstein’s if you want a shake and to Eggslut if you want a cookie. I maintain the only thing worth your time at this place is the crack pie. 5/10

Blue Ribbon - this was, I believe, my third time at the new iteration of this joint. And while it’s never been perfect, it’s been damn good each time. This time around, the standouts were the appetizers: the oysters (particularly the West Coast ones - I can’t remember what variety they were, sorry) and the bone marrow with oxtail-onion marmalade. I was also really impressed with the minted peas that came with my pork chop. The chocolate chip bread pudding was a bit of a let down though. 7.5/10

Wicked Spoon - my buffet experience is limited. Among the supposed top spots, WS, Wynn and Aria are the only ones I’ve tried. I’d probably have to say that WS is my favorite - at the very least a tie with Wynn for the top spot. This time around was particularly good. Highlights - French toast, pumpkin pancakes, scrambled eggs, fried chicken biscuits and gravy, Udon noodles, prosciutto and fig flatbread, tres leches cake, carrot cake, white chocolate-coffee ice cream. Lowlights - tough and sinewy (but still fairly tasty) roast beast, the fact that the dude gave me peanut butter-caramel ice cream when I asked for pistachio. 8/10

Carnevino - One of my favorite places anywhere. And it didn’t disappoint this time. The Kumamoto oysters were delicious and served with the best mignonette I’ve ever had, while the kale salad had a great combination of sweet, tangy and earthy. The ribeye was very good, but not the best I’ve had at Carnevino - marbling just wasn’t on par with other steaks I’ve had there (I’m picking nits, but feel I’m entitled considering the price point). The mascarpone mashed potatoes were delicious as usual and the Brussels sprouts were, well, adequate. The pumpkin bread pudding with eggnog ice cream covered a lot of blemishes, though. So, f’ing good and perfect for this time of year! The wine was great, but ridiculously priced. 8/10

Gambling stats to follow...

• Like Like x 6
  7. ardee

ardee It's only money.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the reviews.
    I hope you're feeling better.
    How was Badger when you got home?

• Like Like x 1
  8. thecarve

thecarve Misanthrope

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Gambling Results

I know talking about this stuff can come across as kinda gauche. And frankly, I’m almost embarrassed by the ridonkulous run of luck I had this trip. But most of us are gamblers and I know a fair number of us enjoy reading about the numbers. So, I thought I’d throw a few of my gambling stats out there (though, don’t expect @tringlomane or @Chuck2009x level of detail!):

13 Hand Pays

3 Dealt Quads (one was a $5, 4’s with a kicker, two were $1 triple play 5-K)

1 Quad with multiplier (10x!)

Back to back quads (first ever for me)

Royal flush (third ever, second this year)

2 >$1000 non-hand pay hits (8x $5 flush, 5x $5 full house)

Total win/loss by game:

Blackjack -$2000

Craps -$1000

Slots - $200 (Willy Wonka: -100, Monty Python: -100, Anchorman: even)

Video Poker: + $28,300

Total VP return ~ 128.5%

And since I’ve already gone far past the point of no return w/re: good taste, here’s a fun pic...

34CFB92A-41EE-4EDC-BA93-7FA0F7949D9B.jpeg

• Love Love x 6
    • Like Like x 4
  9. thecarve

thecarve Misanthrope

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think it’s a six of one, half dozen the other kinda thing. Gun to my head, I’d probably pick WS. But I also have line cutting privileges at Cosmo and only ocasionally at Wynn, so that might cloud my judgment.

And tell your wife I’m stealing her “two football teams” comment. Love it!

Thanks, man. I’m still shooting for that second week in Jan, hopefully we’ll have a chance to grab a drink!

Yeah. That’s her general way of letting me know she’s not pleased. She used to shit in the tub. But poor girl doesn’t have the hops any more so she just uses the mat. She still “buries” it by folding the mat over. That part always cracks me up so it’s hard to be too pissed!

I know, I know...how about early January :oops: ?

• Like Like x 2
  10. ardee

ardee It's only money.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    13 Hand Pays? :faint:

Congratulations, you devil! :wink2:

Thanks for showing us the money. ;)

• Love Love x 1
  11. MikeOPensacola

MikeOPensacola El Jefe

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Damn, even without that humongous royal you still would have had a great gambling trip. Glad you were able to rock the house at Cosmo!!! Hope you feel better soon. Great TR. :clap::clap::clap:

Dec 23rd - Dec 26th
    Last Solo Trip of my bachelorhood. Wedding is set for June 2022.
    • Love Love x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. thecarve

thecarve Misanthrope

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It was one for the ages! (Okay, maybe that’s overstating it...but it was certainly a crazy run, no doubt!) As much as I hated leaving after two days, I knew there was no way my luck could have held out much longer.

• Like Like x 2
  13. pebbles

pebbles VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Oh my word! That is a nice win on Video Poker. Congratulations.

• Like Like x 1
  14. tringlomane

tringlomane STP Addicted Beer Snob

Trips to Las Vegas:
    FYI, any quad is a handpay at the $5 level on the games he typically plays. ;(

But nevertheless, still a wonderful run! It's great to hear you'd be up without the royal or the 10X quad!

• Like Like x 1
  15. vegasmacker

vegasmacker Canadian Ambassador for Sully's Bar

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Great trip report, congrats on the wins!

• Like Like x 1
  16. Chuck2009x

Chuck2009x VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:

Last edited: Nov 25, 2017
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. Jackpot Johnny

Jackpot Johnny Wynn Fan

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the buffet report. We’re the opposite-we have no status at Cosmo, but we always have a pass for Wynn, and most often free. Since we abandoned Bellagio our food habits have changed, with fewer trips to Aria or Mon Ami, etc. We go as far as Caesars and otherwise stick around Wynn, Palazzo/Venetian and Fashion Show. You can eat pretty well with those options.

I passed your kind words on to Mrs. Johnny. She appreciated your excellent report. She said she was glad to know there were others who shared her love for Las Vegas good food and made it a trip priority. We’re very disciplined about healthy eating at home, but we go wild in Vegas. Nuts, I say-we’re just degenerate piglets.

Excellent trip report and wishes from us that you can repeat your gaming greatness.

• Like Like x 1
  18. sam_marques

sam_marques Vegas Vlogs Youtube / TeamClareVlogs

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Late to the party, but finally caught up with your TR! Just wonderful!! Lots of wins, food pics and useful info re: the Cosmo renovations, thank you!

Don't be embarrassed about all the beautiful wins and handpays, that's why we go to Vegas, we all hope for that trip where everything we touch turns to gold! This was your time, enjoy it!! :woohoo::woohoo:

Hope you're feeling better now.

• Like Like x 1
  19. emmas

emmas VIP Whale

Thank you for a wonderful trip report and the summary. Congratulations on all the wonderful wins and the good eating. It may not have been a trip for the ages but pretty close, and glad you were able to enjoy it with your Dad.

Start of a hopefully lucky week in Vegas.
    Thanksgiving in Vegas
    • Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.