1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

I swear the MGM must hate me

Discussion in 'LV Strip Hotels' started by sporty8705, Aug 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sporty8705

sporty8705 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I stayed July 29- August 1 at MGM. They did the whole debit card hold, when I checked out I had a zero balance and I have the paper when I checked out that said they charged my debit card on JUly 29 for the standard 200 hold, and on August 1 they returned the 200 to my debit card, which the bank got back and gave to me on Monday. I thought all was fine.

Yesterday I was paying for dinner and my debit card didn't work. I checked my balance, and it was over drawn. The MGM debited my account yesterday at 4:59 for 200 dollars for I have no idea what reason. I had money in my other account that I transferred over to cover dinner, but then called my bank and explained to them it washed earlier in the week, they agreed and have placed a dispute against that money. I called MGM and they said two things, one the Accounts Receivable closes at 5pm, and won't open up again until 7:15 Monday morning, and two that if my check out paper says I had a zero balance, which it does and I did, they should not have charged anything to my card. ( we did have issues with them charging me for oreos many times, which I never used and was removed each day because I did not eat them, the box was opened on the mini bar and the man said he was going to take it off and never did. This second 200 was charged on August 2, when I was already back home and no one can explain why.. grrrrrrrrrrrrr

2. Ty

Ty ?

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No credit card?

3. samanthaelizabeth

samanthaelizabeth Low-Roller

Using a debit card in Vegas, for your room is not a good idea.....Lesson Learned!

4. sporty8705

sporty8705 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No, I don't have credit cards, applied for them, can't get them due to bad credit.. which is fixed now, but takes time to rebuild the credit back up

5. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You and a good chunk of the country are in the same boat!

Damn Oreo's... you shouldda just wolfed 'em for all this trouble. :licklips:

6. sporty8705

sporty8705 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    lol the MGM has it all on sensors so the guy checked the mini bar daily and he said the box was open, i said i didnt do it, they were not eaten and it didnt trip my sensor.. so anyways still pisses me off that they charged again for no reason a week later when my bill was zero lol

7. sindustry

sindustry VIP Whale

I was at MGM several weeks ago and I caught my 18 month old playing building blocks with all the drinks from the mini-fridge. Sad thing is, after throwing everything back in and seeing that the door would not close, I had to pull stuff out again to reaarange everything so it would fit. Apparently, the previous guest left a half empty mini bottle of Patron in there and HK never bothered to remove it when they restocked it with a new mini bottle of Patron. Double sadly, I have no idea if I was charged for anything since the resort credit just eliminates stuff from your bill, rather than showing $xxx amount deducted.

8. waverunner

waverunner ------VEGA$------

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Have you applied for a Secured CC? Are you a member of a Credit Union?
    Some banks give you a Secured card, let's say $500 which you put into the acct. That's your limit. You have high interest rates but you can build credit that way as long as they report it to the files. Also, make sure you have no annual fee.

9. sporty8705

sporty8705 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes I belong to a credit union and I have applied for the secured card, no dice.

and I contacted the front desk, the manager saw no issues with my room, but said I raided the mini bar. Well, the fridge was locked the WHOLE time I was in there, no idea why but it was. The only things I could have taken was the bottle of water, pringles, oreos and the tech kit, i took none of it, but she removed it she said, and I have her name so if it doesn't get removed, i will be PISSED

10. PerryP

PerryP Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'd be mad too if I was me. I went to the Bellagio with my Dad a couple years ago. I didn't realized he opened 2 bottles of water in his room and a few snacks. When we returned I was charged over $50 for 2 bottles of water and the snacks and it took me a few calls to find out what they were. That's outrageous.

11. Auggie

Auggie Dovahkiin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You were turned down for a secured card? Are you sure you are talking about the same thing, because I don't think anybody ever gets turned down for a secured card: with a secured card there is no actual credit given by the card provider (bank, credit union, card provider) so there is no risk for them that you won't pay your balance, only gain - if you want a $500 credit limit then you give them $500 in your own cash to hold, as a security deposit, and they don't let you go over your deposit/limit and then that way if you ever get to a point where you can't/won't pay off the card they just have to close off your account and use the deposit you gave them to pay off the card's balance.

The only way I could see them denying a card would be if you were regularly disputing charges in the past and they suspect you of fraud.

12. RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa Front Line Winner

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I didn't think it was possible either but apparently it is. A person I work with was telling me that and I thought she was mistaken. But I googled it and apparently it happens.

Sorry it happened to ya, Sporty...keep fighting it. It sucks to have to press them to remove erroneous charges especially after you have checked out. It is way easier to fight them while still in town!

13. sporty8705

sporty8705 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    yea, i disputed the oreos and the minibar check man said he would remove it, told him for 3 days and he never removed it, it kept charging me. i dont know what peoples issues are lately for being charged mini bar items.. i just laughed when she said it was from the actual bar and I said no way, it was locked the whole time, for some reason.

14. Hobofrank

Hobofrank Prime Minister of Idiocracy

Trips to Las Vegas:
    yeah, before we had kids we used to go nuts with charging everything on cards and carrying a balance, now we just use the debit card for everything and low and behold?, when you don't eat out 4-5 nights/wk and don't buy everything you just want so bad....you can build up 3-6 months of expenses for an emergency/rainy day fund pretty quick

but 3 years ago I got a great Mlife price on a 1500XL suite at MB and put the deposit on the debit card, drove out and at check-in they refused to take the debit card for the stay, had to use our friend's card that we were sharing the room with!
    the limit on their card was like a third of what was in that checking acct balance, but Front Desk wouldn't take it

I ended up paying cash for the week on checkout and our friends charged their portion, so silly the rules vegas has
    we got our only CC just for reservations in Vegas and it's the only thing we use it for, just for the issues like Sporty had

I wish they could just have an option to lock the minibar and block charging stuff to the room, but I bet they make a lot of money this way:grrr:

15. RockyBalboa

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yep! When I was fresh out of school I didn't pay attention to credit and would run up a balance on my only card and not pay it down. Like you said I was impulse buying and eating out and buying whatever I wanted. It took me a solid five years to erase those mistakes! Even when we took out first trips to Vegas I didn't bring a CC with me. I was just using cash and debit cards. I just didn't understand the importance of having one for situations like that.

Now I have two cards and carry no balances on 'em! I use them for purchases to get the airline miles and cash back and then pay down the balance each month so I will have the line free for hotel and rental car deposits.

I wonder how much those hotels make on erroneous charges? And how hard is it to fight them? Especially in sporty's case where she told them while there and they say it will be taken care of and then you check out to a zero balance and then get charged days later? Arguing over the phone would be tough.

16. RiddickBull

RiddickBull VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I used my debit card several years ago at MB. After checking out, they transferred the down deposit ($300 hold) to my other credit card on file from previous trips rather then refunding it to my debit card.

17. Erich17

Erich17 It is a real Obsession

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Man you must of done some damage to your credit if you can not get those cards. Why less than $200 in an account that you use? That is a low roller Vegas trip! lol

18. wigwam_salesman

wigwam_salesman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I usually keep what I need for the week in my current account (checking equivalent in UK). I go on the phone app and move money over when I need more from a savings account. I've been done twice by fraudsters and this way keeps the potential loss down. I get it back from the bank in a few days after it happens but I prefer my method.

19. mdm4sfest

mdm4sfest VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What I learned when I first worked in business banking customer service. Any time you use a debit card for a deposit hold, immediately call your bank to have them reverse the authorization which places the money back in your account and credited towards your available balance. THEY ONLY WAY it will post is if you actually owe them the money. I cannot tell you how many times I reversed pending authorizations. Well yes I can, dozens each week on hotel stays.

20. RockyBalboa

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah I argued with my coworker thinking she was mistaken. But she told me that it was true and that she had a sub-550 FICO and they told her that was the reason.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.