1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Priceline or Hotwire for Car Rental

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by Birdie7, Aug 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Birdie7

Birdie7 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Which site is better for a Car Rental?

If my bid is accepted, which site is likely to send me to a well known Rental company?
    Hope someone can help.

2. zolar31

zolar31 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    they are about the same. I've used both in the past without any issues. Yes you will get a well known rental company.

priceline will use Avis, Alamo, budget, national, Hertz
    Hotwire uses all of the above plus Sixt; My best guess is that 90% of the hotwire vegas rentals are being booked by Sixt. Sixt is across the street from the rental center and they seem to be getting decent reviews. Sixt is new to the US, but is very popular in Europe.

I would check fatwallet for discount codes and try booking directly with one of the major sites. I would only use priceline if the savings is significant. priceline is non-refundable and booking direct can be cancelled at any time. (or re-booked multiply times)

Last edited: Aug 12, 2014
  3. Birdie7

Birdie7 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the quick reply.

4. SH0CK

SH0CK Stylin' and Profilin' Quasi Tech Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When I rent a car, I always find a decent rate that I'm willing to pay with one of the big boys that I am able to cancel, then continue to check Hotwire for what rates they are showing. If the rates get low enough on Hotwire, I'll undercut that amount by a dollar or 2 bidding on priceline. I've actually had the most success with priceline bidding the day I needed the car.

As for which agencies, they both use all the big name ones, so you're safe there.

5. NurseLisa

NurseLisa High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I get the best pricing using costco travel. You can select your company that way and can cancel 72 hrs prior if you find a better rate. I always choose Alamo as their kiosks are reliably and never busy. I can get better pricing with Costco for Alamo in Vegas tha. I can with my Alamo insider card

6. NurseLisa

NurseLisa High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    One other thing. The Costco price is the total. Priceline will give you a daily rate of say$20 per day. But by the time you pay tax and fees for three days you will be looking at 94 or something like that total. So it can be confusing to compare them.

7. heatherlovesvegas

heatherlovesvegas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I did Priceline for a trip recently (not Vegas) I got a midsize car for like $10 a day... it was a 1/4 the cost of booking direct. My company turned out to be Budget. You won't get Joe Schmoe's rental car or anything.. it'll be one of the big guys. It does state all the fee's before your book. But yea, as said above it's a little deceptive because fee's will double your rate essentially.

Definitely try bidding.. can't hurt! Worst they can say is no to your rate. I agree with Schock's strategy.. look at hotwire, then bid lower on priceline.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.