1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Lack of paragraphs in posts: Is this because of texting habits?

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Joe, Aug 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm trying to not be critical, but I am wondering what has happened to paragraphs in posts? Is this a result of texting, which I have never done?

I enjoy trip reports but when I get to one that is just one long block of sentences, I just skip it. It is too hard to read. Don't need the old fart comments, yes, I'm in my 60s.

2. Texas Gramma

Texas Gramma Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    HINTS FOR POSTERS
    ---
    When I post ... after I type the first paragraph I hit the return bar, then type ---, then hit the return bar again. That way I make my own paragraphs and they won't be changed.
    ---
    Another hint for posters... after you have typed your post... hit "Go Advanced" or "Preview Post" and you can read what you are going to post as it will look in print. Usually you will want to make changes or correct a mistyped word... then after making sure it is just as you like it... only then hit "Post Quick Reply".
    ---
    Happy posting!!!

3. CALELLA

CALELLA Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have to agree with OP, I find I'm reading then get distracted and can't find where i was in the text.

C'mon guys its not that hard to put in paragraphs, we all learned it at school. :rolleyes2:

4. thecarve

thecarve Misanthrope

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Good question, Joe. All I know is that I just hit the back button as soon as I see one of those. I just can't deal with it. Hell, I'd rather see a report with all the paragraph spacing chosen at random than see a block of 5000 words without a space anywhere.

And while we're complaining about the damn kids on our lawn...doesn't every device these days have a spell check? I can't spell worth a damn. But I don't have to be able to. The magic red line always tells me when I've misspelled something. Do people just not trust the spell check?

5. techie223

techie223 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have to agree, Joe. More often than not I'll start to read a trip report that doesn't have paragraphs but give up part of the way because my eyes just can't take it. And yes,they are 50+ year old eyes :rolleyes2:

It's a shame because they are usually well-written and entertaining.

6. mdee

mdee VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was just talking about this yesterday. This is why I format my Trip Reports the way I do. Hopefully it makes for an easier read.

7. Bo333

Bo333 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    And I thought I was the only one that just skipped the ones with one big blob of text.

8. Auggie

Auggie Dovahkiin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Me too: I just skip the posts that are one big wall o' text as being too hard to read/follow.

This has been something that's been around for years and I can recall in the past where it was more common that people would comment on a post if it was hard to read due to a lack of white space, but nowadays i think more and more people just skip the hard to read posts.

9. tringlomane

tringlomane STP Addicted Beer Snob

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I dunno if texting has anything to do with it, but I guess it could because a text is usually one paragraph. I tend to over paragraph a bit now because it's easier to read with more breaks than less. I've trudged through some TRs with no paragraphs. Some have been worth it, but not a lot.

Quickly reread my trip report from February. 7 days over 4 posts. About 88 paragraphs for 7500ish words. There were a few spots I should have broken up a long one into two. Also I think it's a good idea is you're gong to write a long TR like I did, don't post it all at once. Write it out at 1,000 to 2,000 words per day.

10. HOUtoLAS

HOUtoLAS High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No paragraphs is a TR killer for me too. However, now I am also partial to pictures, so I give up if no pics.

11. queentata

queentata VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I love pics too! I will read TR's without them, but cannot stand no paragraphs! Glad it's not just me!

12. Snidely

Snidely VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I use paragraphs when I text. The return key on older phones might have meant SEND but on my new phone the return key is a new paragraph.

13. Kickin

Kickin Flea

I don't think it has to do with texting. That sees like a stretch. I think there can be a "modern technology" argument in that when you post on this board through an iPad, smartphone, or even your PC you typically only see a portion of what you're writing in the text box and may not be aware of what it looks like. Whereas if you were writing it on a piece of paper or even a word processor you'd notice that you were writing a wall of text.

However I think its more likely just due to the same reason so many people don't use proper punctuation, grammar, or spelling. Its due to either not knowing the rules (e.g. where to break a new paragraph) or just plain apathy towards grammar. I'm sure you've heard people defend bad grammar and spelling in text messages by saying things like its shorthand or all that matters is whether "people know what you're saying". While that may be true, I think that kind of apathy towards grammar spills out into all your communication and especially shows when you see major spelling errors and get the sense the poster doesn't even care. Though sometimes time that kind of writing does become someone's unique signature and is kind of funny... :evillaugh

14. LV_Bound

LV_Bound VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I concur that no paragraphs in TR = no read.
    With that said there are one or two users who I simply don't read their posts as the basic grammar and spelling is so bad.

15. GeorgeandTheBear

GeorgeandTheBear High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think it is a combination of laziness, stupidity, and some just don't care that they look like a moron when they type something out. They tend to defend it by saying the critic is a snob.

I once read in a trade magazine, an article about misspelling words on a sign. They stated that probably 1/3 of the motoring public wouldn't catch it, 1/3 would, but think nothing of it, and that last 1/3 would think that the business was run by an idiot. I fall into that last group. I know that's not fair and probably not correct, but it's my first impression. The bottom line was...do you want 1/3 of the people driving by your business to think you are stupid? What are the odds that they are going to stop in your business?

So ok everyone, if you want my approval you must type and spell correctly, not use the non-word "alot", and not use "loose" when you mean "lose".

16. Electroguy563

Electroguy563 Vegas Joker

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I agree that the lack of paragraphs tend to make me skip the post or trip report. It's just to hard to read.

Paragraphs solidifies the train of thought and also makes the story flow easier. It also aids in comprehension and makes the reader visualize more realistically what is trying to be said.

A big blob of words all jumbled together is a turn off for me. My eyes start to cross after a while......:confused2:

17. leo21

leo21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's not texting. This has been an issue on message boards for me since before they were able to accept posts from mobile devices.

18. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Two similar threads; I'll comment here.

I have no problem with the "rules" of texting/mobile comm. Our language always has been adapted to suit various audiences and platforms.

However, if someone is typing on a regular keyboard, and divulging a tale, a lot of information, then damn, yes, make the effort.

This isn't a matter of typos or just slipping up; EVERYONE does that. Communicating has been my modus make-money for my entire professional career, and I screw up all the time. People get slack in that regard. If you type like a baboon, can't seem to find the cap function, think punctuation is a communicable disease, shorten every third word and misspell every third or fourth, then you have a communication problem. I don't care if you tell me you "can do it." If you choose not, you can't. And I'm not speaking about stylistic or individual quirks that work. It's the cobble and mortar of communication, that thing that does set us apart from the other animals.

I feel sorry for young adults now trying to compete in the job market if they took too much to heart the lazy, sloppy admonition that "it's OK, grammar and spelling and the 'rules' are for old farts." If there are two equally qualified candidates and one writes and speaks like a failed hip-hop artist, I'd take the other even if less qualified in other areas.

Typos happen. Being lazy is just stoooooopid.

19. bardolator

bardolator Lifelong Low Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am new to Facebook. Got on to see my nephews and nieces. Fb makes it hard to use paragraph divisions, as texting does, because if you hit ENTER you just posted. No such excuse here.

I have read just about all the solid blocks of text I ever intend to read. Unless the post is something I am super interested in reading, I'll skip it.

20. Hoowaa

Hoowaa Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Agreed. Too hard to read. I skip it as well.

No capital letters or punctuation ? I may read it, but I have little confidence in what you are trying to communicate.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.