1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Putter discipline

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by ken2v, Jul 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My gamer has been doing yeoman's duty since coming out of detention hall a few years back. Apparently it is time for a refresher, some dark-lonely time at the back of the close for Mr. Anser while the mallet sees a bit of sunshine and fresh air.

Terri and I walked nine yesterday evening. I coughed up a 42 with a double and four, three-putt bogeys, and missing two six-footers for birdie. Sometimes you just gotta shake up the bag. Clubs start getting complacent.

2. nickle

nickle Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You are absolutely correct Ken! Yesterday I had the pleasure of having a 71(tie for low round of my 48 years golf!). Putter was either on fire (2 18-20 foot birdie putts and another for a par save) or atrocious (7 missed putts of 5 ft or less). I'm not sure how to treat my Odyssey. Maybe the wielder needs a lesson!

3. klawrey

klawrey High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm of the differing opinion on switching clubs well especially putters. I've been using the same Studio Style since it's release is 2005 and frankly won't use another putter likely ever in my life. Much like Tiger's old attachment to his Scotty, mine has made some very big putts and won some pretty big events and matches for me. More than the technology in the putter it is the history it has and confidence it has bred.

Similar goes for the same Titleist 735cm irons that I've had in the bag since 2007. Wedges get replace every year or two with new model Vokeys.

The only the place I really tinker much with is driver and fairway woods. Technology advances much faster there than with forged irons where there isn't much room for change. But the lack of change is just my opinion, I like to stick with what has worked and continues to work and help me win whether it's a full field event or the weekly cash game.

4. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Players are a superstitious lot, as you know from being a top-end stick. You have an obvious love affair with your Cameron, Calc will play a major with a putter he picked up the previous week from the overstock bin in the shop. I know sticks who tinker all the time, I know hacks who don't and probably should. We're all just weird birds, really.

I think forging is one area where a good OEM can still make strides since everything else is now effectively at the MOI and COR limits.

5. Snidely

Snidely VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My Mr. Anser is in deep doo-doo. He might not get out again this year. The B60 is in my bag but the 8802 might make an appearance tomorrow.

71 is some damn fine golf.

6. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    NO kidding!!

7. USCHawks

USCHawks High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm not one to change my putter too often, but I do have two others that are ready to go into action if need be. I have a Studio Style Newport that I used from about 2007-2012, then I switched to an old Ping N-Echo that I inherited from my Grandpa after he passed away. Last year I picked up some $50 putter that is basically a ripoff of the Odyssey #9 and it's been in the bag ever since.

All in all, I can still miss a 6 foot birdie putt just as good with my $50 putter, my 40+ year old putter or my $300 putter.

8. zamboni

zamboni VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My Scotty Cameron stays. Will never change it. Well, if I do, another Scotty will appear.

9. Snidely

Snidely VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The B60 was behaving very poorly yesterday. The greens were a lot faster than what I usually play on and I had no problems blowing the ball 10 feet past on a 20 foot putt. Oh, and Mr. Sandwedge was very bad, too. They might both need to go sit in a dark corner for a few weeks to adjust their attitude. But the new $40 driver was excellent. Long and straight.

10. Joe Strummer

Joe Strummer VIP Whale

I'm jealous !
    I've been too busy this month to dust off the clubs.
    I've played twice ALL MONTH........and historically, July has always
    been my best golf.
    I guess, not this year ?......Life got in the way.
    BTW........71 is awesome golf !

11. Malibugolfer

Malibugolfer High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    While I've used my same Newport since 1998, twice I had to put it in the corner for a time out when it wasn't behaving.
    Also mallets are of better use on true links courses for me, as I have trouble putting 30-40 yards with an Anser style.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.