1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Airline CPAP question

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by dreric, Jul 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dreric

dreric Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I will be flying Southwest into Vegas next month, and it will be the first time I have flown in about 15 years, but I use a CPAP machine. Will I have any problems getting through security with it? Is it considered my carry on, or does it become exempt as medical equipment? Any advice, suggestions greatly appreciated.

2. Snidely

Snidely VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    CPAPs, BiPAPs, and APAPs are allowed through TSA security checkpoints once they have been screened. The passenger should inform an officer of the CPAP, BiPAP or APAP and any special requirements before the screening process begins.

All CPAPs, BiPAPs, and APAPs must be screened by X-ray. If the X-ray cannot see through all parts of the CPAP, BiPAP, or APAP, additional screening by X-ray or other methods may be required.

Passengers are required to remove CPAPs, BiPAPs, and APAPs from its carrying case, though facemasks and tubing can remain in the case. A passenger can provide a clear plastic bag in which to place the CPAP, BiPAP or APAP during X-ray screening; however, an officer may need to remove the CPAP, BiPAP or APAP from the bag to test it for traces of explosives.

3. LVHooked

LVHooked High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Another reason I like SWA, my cpap is my second checked bag. I carry it in a 12 pack cooler, and then when I get there I have a cooler.

4. dreric

dreric Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    But does it count as a carryon? I was hoping to have my CPAP and a rolling carryon for the flight and DW would have her purse and CPAP.

5. LVHooked

LVHooked High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    On SWA you would be OK, not sure on any others.

6. gigglets

gigglets Newbie

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Medical equipment typically does NOT count towards your carry-on allowance, but you should call SW to confirm.

7. LVHooked

LVHooked High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    SWA allows one carry on, and one personal item. If that's who your flying your good to go.

8. JTEINMN

JTEINMN Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've traveled on SWA with my CPAP without issue. I asked several SWA employees until I finally received a concise answer to that very Q. Medical Equipment counts towards nothing...You are still allowed 1 carry-on, 1 personal item, AND the CPAP!

I hope this puts your mind at ease.

Relax and enjoy!:peace:

9. maxnew40

maxnew40 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I had no issues with my CPAPwith Alaska Airlines two years ago. I just told them up front and they had me take it out of the carry bag.

I also travel with insulin and needles and all that stuff that goes with being diabetic.

-Max

10. dreric

dreric Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Outstanding!! I knew I could count of the wonderful people of this board!

11. NeonTurtle14

NeonTurtle14 I Run the Vegas Hotdog Stand

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've been hit-or-miss depending on the airport/TSA security team when going through the security checkpoints regarding having to remove it (like a laptop) while passing through the xray. Most airports haven't said a word, but 1 or 2 have asked me to remove it and had to re-scan it. I think you're supposed to take it out anyway. But they all know what it is.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.