1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Flying out of Michigan.

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by Jennylove59, Jul 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jennylove59

Jennylove59 Well-Known Member

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hey guys! We will be flying out of DTW and I am looking for any input. I have only flown once in my life and everything was prearranged for me (it was a school trip) and this will be my families first flight. Do you have a favorite airline, if so who? Any tips, suggestions, beware of's that anyone can offer?

Last edited: Jul 20, 2014
  2. BellaBlvd

BellaBlvd Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm not sure I have a favorite airline - but I do enjoy flying Delta out of DTW. I personally can't stand United but that's because every single problem I've ever had flying has been with United.

3. Sdebruyne

Sdebruyne Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not sure where you are coming from, but if you are anywhere north of Detroit, Bishop airport in Flint is the way to go. Southwest has direct flights to Vegas at good prices. Easy parking, no shuttle necessary. Park right in front of the airport, only a few terminals, quick through security.

4. Matty Ice

Matty Ice High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Southwest has a few non-stop flights from DTW to LAS each day and you can usually get a good price when they're running a sale. Spirit also has a few non-stop fights each day from DTW and may appear to be cheaper, but look out for their fees like choosing your seat, bag, drinks, etc. I personally would and do choose Southwest.

5. gradytripp

gradytripp High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would go with Delta, although I've never flown Southwest and I know a lot of people like it. I'm also in Michigan (northern) and have flown Delta many times from DTW, MSP, and lots of other places. I've had very few problems of any kind.

Although that non-stop on SW from Flint sounds good, too. I'm just paranoid about having my flight to Vegas cancelled and not having a later flight that same day (costing a day of precious Vegas time); flying Delta out of DTW there are so many flights that I feel like it's less likely that could happen.

6. Jennylove59

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We are coming from southern Mi. Have heard awesome things about Delta from others and with the help of you guys im thinking thats probably who we will choose. Thanks for the info everyone!

7. ghettodan

ghettodan Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I 2nd the flying out of Bishop vs DTW. Both DTW and Bishop have 1 nonstop SW flight a day to LAS. Bishop is worth the extra 10-15 minute drive for cheaper parking and the ability to walk to the terminal.

8. Ty

Ty ?

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Comments on Airport security. I noticed flying out of Atlanta we didn't have to take off our shoes and they wanted us to put everything in our 'bags' (regarding phones, wallets,etc). Just about everyone had something to put their stuff in, whether it was a purse, backpack, or carry on. Of the 30-40 people I watched around me, I saw one person using the plastic bin.

Leaving Vegas we had to take our shoes off. I had some folding money in my front pocket, after going through the body scanner, the guy said, "I have to pat you down", then he quickly touched the outside of the pocket and said Ok.

9. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just a guess, but you might been selected for the random Pre Check procedure. You keep on your shoes, belt and the liquids stay in your bag. This takes you into a separate line, so everybody is doing the same thing.

10. Cinwhim

Cinwhim Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We fly Southwest out of Ohio and have never had a problem. We like the no extra baggage fees and my husband loved the direct flights. I flew Delta a lot to Florida when I was a kid and they were always great but that was manyyyyyyyyy moons ago!

I like to start my tipping in Columbus and use the skycap desk to check my luggage. It is usually at the main entrance to the airport and if you have already printed your tickets you just drop your luggage there and don't have to lug it thru the airport. They will print your boarding passes there too. We usually tip $3-$5 per bag, deending on how many we have. It is worth it to me and believe me, I love to save money on everything!

The best advice I can give tough is to get to BOTH airports in plenty of time. You never know when security is backed up and just because it was slow once, it may not be the next time. It's a vacation, but sitting in the airport for a half or hour more is worth it to me to make sure I have my seat. I suppose if I flew every week, it might be different.

It looks like you are doing tons of research so wanted to give you another forum to check out - http://www.flyertalk.com It's an active forum with tons of information from flying, trip reports to rental car booking and anything travel related.

Cin

11. da1chifan

da1chifan High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Delta will likely give you the best rates from DTW-LAS. Plus you will have the option of several NON-STOP flights a day and you can choose the time that works for you. :)

12. WHITEJACKET73

WHITEJACKET73 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Since you are not an experienced flier; I would beware of using Spirit Airline for your flights. Their airfares are usually a lot lower than the major carriers, but you have to watch out for their "hidden fees" that can drive up the cost of your flight significantly. Also, their seats are uncomfortable; with leg room being a problem if you are over 5 ft 10 inches. They charge for carry-on as well as checked baggage, charge you for selecting your seat assignment, charge for drinks on the plane (including water), charge for printing out your boarding pass and their weight limit for your baggage is 40 pounds instead of the standard 50 pounds. I have flown Spirit several times out of MSP; taking advantage of some ridiculously low fares out to Vegas, but I had to do a lot of homework in order to keep the added fees to a minimum....stick with Delta or Southwest.

13. Jennylove59

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thank you all for all of your replies. I definitely think that we are going to go with Delta.

14. JennJenn

JennJenn Low-Roller

We live in the Detroit area, and the last couple of trips have flown out of DTW via Delta. Love the direct flights, but really do not like the size of the airport there. It seems as if all of the Vegas flights fly out of the farthest gates from TSA and the parking drop off. The plus is there is a tram from right around TSA to the farthest gates, but it's still a hike.

I really like Bishop's airport in Flint though. It's small but very nice. You should also consider the Grand Rapids airport. Alligiant flies out of GRR and it's direct as well. Might have some savings over Detroit or Flint.

Good Luck!

15. ams722

ams722 Side Bet Shunner

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I fly out of DTW for all my trips.

Delta is the way to go, for me at least. The McNamara terminal cannot be beat.

I have flown Southwest, and that is a fine choice as well. However, their rates have skyrocketed and it is usually cheaper for me to fly Delta (I have the Delta AMEX, so bags are free). Plus, Delta offers 4-5 nonstops everyday, whereas Southwest only has 1 each way.

Basically, Delta and Southwest are both good options. In general, I'd recommend Delta. If Southwest is cheaper, I'd recommend that.

DON'T fly Spirit.

16. bardolator

bardolator Lifelong Low Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Someone else mentioned Allegiant out of Grand Rapids. Might be good if you're not too far from there. Now, if you ever head Florida way, Allegiant out of Toledo offers some great flights to certain cities. Allegiant doesn't fly from Toledo to Vegas, far as I know.

17. Bo333

Bo333 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's been so long since I lived in Michigan that I used to fly Northwest out of DTW!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.