1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

need help with one good meal

Discussion in 'Restaurants & Buffets' started by fire46149, Jul 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fire46149

fire46149 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am meeting a buddy that is a local and will be on the strip for one night. I am torn as to what place to eat at. I haven't eaten at any of these places so looking forward to something new, but they all look great.

couple criteria, if we are up money by dinner, then we will eat higher end
    Options for this:
    Craftsteak(love the dessert options)
    Mastro's
    Ramsey Steak, enticed by the sticky toffee pudding

If we are down by dinner then these options:
    Fix, looking for some good wings and he swears by them here
    Ramsey's Burgr leaning towards this one
    Something at the Linq Yard house or Chayo

Thanks for any input!

2. Travel Fanatic

Travel Fanatic The Arbiter of Taste Caviar Kid

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I like Ocean Club. Good drinks and food and an interesting atmosphere inside Crystals

The plans have changed
    Post-Shopping Recovery Period
  3. highlow

highlow Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Whatever you do, you guys should post up at the bar. 2 guys eating alone at a table on a busy weekend is a little odd...

4. JerryVO

JerryVO Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have eaten at craft steak and Ramsay's and liked Ramsay's better. Best beef Wellington ever. And when I was single I went to all sorts of fancy restaurants with other single guy friends and sat at a table, just because I was single I was not going to deprive myself of good food.

5. fire46149

fire46149 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Any other suggestions?

6. progrocker2112

progrocker2112 Watch out for this guy

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Why is that?

7. ah6tyfour

ah6tyfour High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Gordon Ramsay Steak would be my choice. The sticky toffee pudding is amazing and one of the best desserts on the strip. The savory menu is done very well. I'm not really a fan of Wellington (filet is just too lean a cut for me...I feel it has no flavor), but the Wellington portioned for 1 person is very good. DO NOT GET THE WELLINGTON FOR TWO. You are better off with two orders of the normal wellington. With the double portion, it throws the entire lean/flavorless meat to crust ratio off and you'll have bites that are just bland. With the single wellington, you at least get some crust with each bite. I'm partial to the bone-in rib eye instead.

If you want wellington and sticky toffee pudding, you might just order the Hell's Kitchen Tasting Menu. It's not as cheesy as it sounds. It's actually a very well-done menu. The risotto is rich with a large and perfectly cooked scallop on top. And then you have the wellington and the sticky toffee pudding. It's one of those times where a Tasting Menu gives you a satisfying portion of everything on the menu you would have ordered anyway (plus the risotto, which is only available on the tasting menu).

Coffee service is also done well here. You get a pot of french press-brewed coffee (the small is enough for two) and a plate containing three spoons of chocolate-covered alcohol. I forget what they were, but one was Bailey's and another was something raspberry-y.

Even if you don't choose Gordon Ramsay Steak, you can head there after dinner and just sit in the bar area. They have nice tables in there as well. You can order the wellington and some coffee. Perfect nightcap.

8. breanna61

breanna61 Super Moderator

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Say what? It's 2014.....why would 2 guys eating at a table together anywhere be odd?

9. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Holy shit. Scores of dinners in Vegas -- and elsewhere -- with this bud or that bud over the years and now to learn that's not kosher? Wow.

10. judy

judy High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    agree! it was even ok in Don Drapers day (50 years ago)on mad men! what kind of food do you like? all these places for Steak sound great! I like Rao's for Italian.♥

2024’s Second Trip
  11. RiddickBull

RiddickBull VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I always like Cut, bu that is not in your selection. Craftsteak is a good place. I have never been to Ramsay so I have no opinion on that place. Le Cirque and Joel Robuchon are good places also.

12. dankyone

dankyone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hard to believe anyone thinks it is odd for 2 guys to eat at a table together, whether or not it is a busy weekend...

13. fire46149

fire46149 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks guys for the replies! Yes I'm a big meat and potato guy so that's why I picked what I picked. To me the best steak in vegas is at SW and I need to save that one for my wife and I. Raos was also good but found the fried cheese to be the start of the meal. Add in a good dessert and that's why I added the above places.

14. queentata

queentata VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you do end up at the Linq, I prefer YardHouse over Chayo, both of which I tried last week. Ended up at YH twice. Creative menu, and lots of beers/ales. We did LOVE the lobster tacos at Chayo, but found the service there quite slow and the place was nearly empty. YH service was very good and friendly.

15. PopMegaphone

PopMegaphone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ridiculous.

16. Tellafriend

Tellafriend MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have to be honest, I have eaten at GR steak 3 times now. Not once did I get food or service worth having. Do yourself a favor and go somewhere, anywhere, else.

17. ah6tyfour

ah6tyfour High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That's too bad. I usually get pretty good service. And food has been quite good. I've been to many of the steakhouses in Vegas (Cut, Palmer, Stripsteak, SW, etc...still have to try Prime and Carnevino), but I usually end up back at GR Steak. But then again, it's not often that I choose a steakhouse for a nice dinner. Service-wise, we have not had any missteps except for once when we were brought bottled water (and charged for it) without us ordering it.

I sometimes take my visitors to the bar area just to get Sticky Toffee Pudding and coffee service.

Which steakhouse do you like best? I really want to try Carnevino's reserva aged beef.

18. hedgehog

hedgehog Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:

Not that there is anything wrong with that.......

19. Tellafriend

Tellafriend MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    since you asked :)
    1. Prime - what else can one say?
    2. Jean Georges @ Aria (yes i'm a mark for the guy).
    2.5 Vic & Anthony's
    3-5. Old Homestead
    3-5. Strip Steak
    3-5. Heritage

I must add that I have yet to go to SW but have heard great things about it.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2014
  20. KBT2012

KBT2012 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Craftsteak is wonderful and the dessert is really really good.

My steakhouse choices

1. Jean Georges @ Aria
    2. Craftsteak @ MGM
    3. SW Steakhouse @ Wynn
    4. Prime @ Bellagio

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.