1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

First Look: Clint Eastwood's "Jersey Boys"

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by seneca7, Apr 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. seneca7

seneca7 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
  2. freddywill

freddywill Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oE7VvaTU4kY

Trailer looks good, but I don't think you can beat seeing them live.

3. redzone

redzone Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There's something about a movie where the character turns to the camera and talks to the audience that I find distracting.

It is my main reason for not watching House of Cards after a couple of episodes. I want to immerse myself in their world not having them come into mine.

I also think from watching the trailer that they picked the wrong guy to play Frankie.

Just my opinion.

4. DBear

DBear VIP Bear

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm sooo looking forward to seeing John Lloyd Young play Frankie! He played Frankie originally when the Broadway show opened and won a Tony for it. Not seen him before live but only on tv and YouTube clips, I can tell he's much better than the 4 other Frankie's I've seen live. But with all musical and stage actors, does he have the charisma to pull it off on the big screen? I think that's why they brought in Vincent Piazza to play Tommy's character. I think he's the only one with previous tv/movie experience. Tommy's character is a bit more dramatic so I think it was a wise move to cast an experienced actor. The other 2 are Jersey Boys show veterans and for what it's worth, in the 4 times I've seen the show in various cities, Erich Bergen and Michael Lomenda were the best actors I saw in their respective roles. I'm not surprised Eastwood hand picked them after watching several JB companies perform.

I'm mixed too on actors turning and talking to the camera but i suppose that's what they did in the Broadway show.

I've been waiting for this movie since it was announced in 2010! Clint Eastwood gives me much better hope than the original director slated, Jon Faveau. Can't wait for June 2014!

Last edited: Apr 18, 2014
  5. DBear

DBear VIP Bear

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So, who's seen Jersey Boys in the movie theaters?

I just saw it this afternoon. I'm on the road and finished work early so I treated myself and went to see Jersey Boys! Actually, the treat was the $15 popcorn/candy/soda combo.

As much as I tried, I couldn't stay away from reading reviews prior to seeing the movie. Honestly, the reviews make it out to be worse than Howard the Duck! It's not! I liked it, didn't love it, but I would see it again if the opportunity came up.

Reviews from newspaper critics are generally spot on. This cast is better suited on the stage, not the big screen. I was so looking forward to seeing John Lloyd Frank play Frankie as he was the original on Broadway. His voice is great (sounds just as good as the Broadway CD that I've listened to for years in the car, of course it's his voice on the Broadway CD recording) but he lacked in acting talent. Very one note with facial expressions and energy. Very little on screen charisma which is crazy given he won a Tony for his stage performances.

Vincent Piazza as Tommy was great in the acting department. Perhaps it was because the others couldn't keep up with him that he stood out but it was definitely a wise choice to cast an experienced actor in probably the most demanding acting role in the movie. The quality in his acting over the others is that noticeable. Christopher Walken was great too but that's expected.

Music is great. I'll probably buy the CD when it comes out. I read reviews that didn't contain spoilers but did say the last scene was great. It was. You wish other parts of the movie could have had that magic.

I do think the critic reviews were a bit too harsh on Clint Eastwood's directing. I do think the movie would have done better in someone else's hands but it wasn't as terrible as some made it out to be. Having said that, there's multiple scenes that I would myself have done differently and I never really think about those things while watching a movie.

I liked it but I also loved the stage version. I'm curious to know how anyone likes the movie and hasn't seen the musical before. Could you follow along? Too fast, too slow? Enough background? I've seen the musical 4 times and in some scenes, I could recite the dialogue as it was playing out. Not a bad thing since I'm a fan but the surprise wasn't there for me at any point, except the last few minutes.

I went to the movies by myself after work mid-afternoon. There was a group of giddy, gray haired women in front of me in the popcorn line, and I thought for sure they'd be seeing Jersey Boys. Wrong! They went to see Transformers, lol! Sad, but I was the only one in the theater watching this movie. Hope it does ok for the sake of musicals coming to the big screen. Guess most don't pull it off though or at least draw in the masses.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2014
  6. David Grant

David Grant Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My wife and I went to see this in the uk last week. We hadn't seen the stage play but had heard good things about it. (one of the things I miss about London is the great theatre scene.)

I thoroughly enjoyed the film. Thought the story moved along at a good pace, well acted and well told.
    I will now make an effort to see the stage show when it comes to Scotland.

Overall good film.
    David

7. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Went to see the show in NY with Mrs. Hammie about three weeks before the movie release just for that reason. BTW, I rolled the dice and picked up half price tickets at the TKTS booth for a Saturday matinee, no line and ended up being 11 rows center, perfect seats. The show was awesome and I will buy the CD. The movie was a bit of a letdown but we still enjoyed seeing it. I guess its tough to convey the energy of a live performance to the screen, however, it was done with Mama Mia and countless other musicals.

I'm a big fan of Clint Eastwood's work, but if you saw him on the Tony Awards, he has really declined. I don't think Favreau would have been up to it either. I thought John Lloyd Frank was too subdued especially in his scenes when singing, his lips barely moved, I was hoping for more energy. If you consider some of Eastwood's recent films, Trouble With The Curve, Grand Torino, J. Edgar, Invictus, his films seem to have a slow, measured pace. I think the producers of the Jersey Boys film made a big mistake letting Clint direct this, After all, a man's gotta know his limitations.

8. Jerseyguy

Jerseyguy MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Never really made an effort to see the play or movie.Have seen Frankie V. perform live a few times, maybe thats it. You would think growing up near the bowling alley they named the group after that I would feel some connection but I honestly dont. Funny,I grew up enjoying the groups music .

9. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You can't compare any movie to any play/musical seen live.

I saw Jersey Boys in Vegas and there is no beating the live music and singing. Different worlds altogether.

I saw Hairspray on Broadway with George Wendt (Yes, that George Wendt, to paraphrase Jersey Boys) playing the part of the mother (yes, the mother) and it was just sheer joy watching him sing and dance live.

Just like the old saying, the movie is never as good as the book.

10. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Mama Mia at the Winter Garden theater. Maybe it was the seats, far stage right or the cast that night, but I thought it sucked compared to the film. But then again, my frame of reference was seeing the film first.

11. thecarve

thecarve Misanthrope

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not bad for a rye swilling alien! :nworthy:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.