1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Hi all... Major help needed!

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by Blondieacerider, Jul 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blondieacerider

Blondieacerider Newbie

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hi there al, nice to find you and hope you can give me some advise! We are off to Vegas in October for 2 weeks and its my first time, OH has been a couple of times before but it is me that does all the planning and my head is spinning already! Florida is so easy to plan and I know it like the back of my hand but this is a whole new ball game! :ssst:

I have looked at some flights and it seems cheaper to fly to LAX then drive out to Vegas. Norwegian airlines are looking favourable at the moment but I know the route has not yet started so I will be watching it for a while before we book anything. Not sure if we want to stay on the strip or if we might like somewhere a bit quieter better being reserved country folk! We know we would like to do the Grand Canyon and Hoover dam and get back to LA for a couple of nights before we fly home so we have time to do Universal HHN, but other than that I am open to any advise, opinions views, idea's or general help anyone may have to offer!!

We are early 40's like to do outdoor things, not really gamblers, I love my horses and other half likes hunting/shooting/ country pursuits. Please help!!!

Thanks in advance for any advise
    Sarah xx :wave:

2. David Grant

David Grant Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hi Sarah,

first thing - fly direct. It might seem like you are saving a bit by flying Norwegian airlines but changing airplanes is a real pain. Flying direct is 100% better. Having done both please don't even consider a multi stop trip.
    BA, Virgin, Thomas Cook all have direct flights.
    Look at packages as well. That will end up saving you money. especially on resort fees which can be a bit of a killer.

Hire a car in LV. There are plenty of options, LA is a four to five hour trip so you could easily go there for a couple of days.
    See some of the LV shows.
    Go to a really good restaurant.

Don't over plan. Let it flow.

Most of all relax and have fun.

David

3. Readingfanman

Readingfanman Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Look at booking direct with BA, it is cheaper to do it that way than book flights + a hotel separate. You'll save on resort fees as well that way with a lot of places.

I recommend flying direct to LV, then hiring a car, drive out to the Canyon for a day and stay over for a night there (Especially if by the sounds of it you'll be over there for 7+ days), that way you'll get full enjoyment from the Canyon.

Take a look at http://www.cowboytrailrides.com/ for a cowboy trail on horseback whilst in Vegas. There's plenty of options for shooting at ranges in Vegas as well at various places, I'm sure you'll find advice elsewhere on the site for that.

Overall, I'd advise you to enjoy Vegas, and love the site, it is a goldmine of information.

4. bardolator

bardolator Lifelong Low Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You don't want to waste time driving to and from LA unless you plan to do something in LA. LA-Vegas is a crashing bore to drive. If HHN is important to you, go ahead and fly to LAX. Otherwise, fly direct.

We always rent (hire) a car in Vegas. If you don't rent one in LA, you'll want one when you get to Vegas. You can get good advice on how and from whom to rent elsewhere on this board. However, if you stay where I suggest below, Fox is very convenient. Fox is also among the cheapest rental places in Las Vegas. Fox does require two short shuttle rides instead of one because the Fox facility is not in the main rental center.

South Point, which is on the same road but several miles south of what is known as the Strip, is easy to get to from the airport and is "horse people" friendly. The Equestrian Center there has three events scheduled for October. South Point is not expensive, and the rooms are spacious and pleasant. I don't know your travel dates or the dates for HHN. You could have a problem seeing horse-related shows at South Point and also making HHN.

If you take side trips, try to schedule them for Friday and Saturday nights. Prices in Las Vegas are much higher and the town is busier on weekends, while prices outside of Las Vegas do not vary so much.

5. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
  6. blackjacker2

blackjacker2 Never ever play 6:5, it is not blackjack

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I could not agree more with others about flying direct, it also saves you lots of time waiting for connections and avoids the hassle. Yes there are extra costs, but from where you are flying from Gatwick with Virgin or another airline is going to be best. I am a little surprised you are having two weeks in Vegas given the interests you list, it makes a good base, but you are going to have to travel to get to places to fulfil the country pursuits.

I am sure Vegas will convert you and with the shopping, sightseeing, shows and food etc you will not be bored. Gambling is not an essential activity these days but it is worth a small investment.

7. Corinne

Corinne Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yep, fly direct for sure. BA has a sale on at the moment and I expect Virgin does too. Their prices tend to be similar all the time. I try and do out Gatwick and back to Heathrow with BA. Flight times are much better. You can book exit row seats on BA 14 days prior to the flight but only at the airport on Virgin. If you register for Frequent Flyer on Virgin and book a complete holiday by phone you get 7% discount. Extra legroom seats are worth paying for on both airlines. Also booking car hire through BA or Virgin is mostly cheaper than through the US companies. Bear in mind if you have holiday insurance then you don't need the extra insurance they will try and sell you if you book through anyone other than BA or Virgin. All BA and Virgin prices for hotels include the resort fees and taxes, even if you book them separate from a flight. Try Funway Holidays as well. They are sometimes cheaper for the same thing. As a UK citizen you get 10% off at Macy's which is worth having. Try and sit towards the front of the plane. Customs can be a long wait and on a huge plane if you're last off it's not a great start. Don't forget your ESTA. ENJOY.

8. merlin

merlin MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The grand canyon is a long drive, it's worth it but it's a long way away. Other driving options to see outdoor things are death valley(about 3-4 hours west), It's very interesting. Another is zion national park in utah(maybe 2-3 hours away).

9. heatherlovesvegas

heatherlovesvegas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's a good 4.5-6 hour drive from LA to Vegas, and it's extremely unpleasant. besides, don't forget to factor in the cost of the rental car, and gas is about $50 each way depending on the car. If you definitely want to spend a few days in LA, then I'd say do it, your trip is long enough. If it's possible just look into a Southwest airlines flight from LA, often those are $45 each way... I got an e-mail about that rate this morning actually. Take a look.

In Vegas go out to Red Rock Canyon, it's only about 15 miles from the strip and it's beautiful. You can hike there, and just take in the sights. Also I've seen in my searches you can ride horses there.
    http://www.cowboytrailrides.com/

There are also things you can do like ATV rides, and all sorts of stuff like that in the desert..
    If you like shooting I know there is a ton of places to do it in Vegas, but i don't know any specifics.
    Check out the Neon Museum, also the Shark Reef and the Dolphin Habitat, off the strip you can go visit the Lion Habitat.

In LA, you gotta do Disneyland! All the other theme parks are lame in comparison. I've lived here all my life, and Disneyland is still special. Also go to the Griffith Observatory, beautiful! If you are interested in pop culture at all go to Hollywood and Highland and do the Chinese Theatre, might be able to catch a movie premiere, go to a Jimmy Kimmel Live taping.. The Getty Museum. Go to Malibu.

10. Corinne

Corinne Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You could always fly one way to Vegas and the other to LA so you only have to go once between LA and Vegas. Both Virgin and BA will let you do this.

11. Blondieacerider

Blondieacerider Newbie

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks very much for all the info guys... I would only ever fly direct and the flights with Norwegian are direct flights from Gatwick to LAX.. We wont book a package as we don't like to stay in the same place for too long! We did Florida keys and west coast last time and clocked up 1300 miles in 10 days! We both drive so sharing it is not so bad. Other half has driven from LA to LV a few times and is happy to do it that way, we wont be staying in LV for more than a week as I know I could not cope with that much activity for a complete holiday. I thing we may well do a heli flight out to the canyon then drive back to LA via Death Vally then spend a few days in LA to do some parks and stuff before flying home.. Thanks again..

12. Snidely

Snidely VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just some nomenclature clarification to make sure there's not suprises. Non-stop flights make no stops. It does not visit another city, and simply takes you from your origin to your destination in one flight. You literally make 'no stops.'

Direct flights are different. Like a non-stop flight that will travel from your origin to your destination, there may be a stop in between in which other passengers may leave and others board. Most all direct flights, unless otherwise specified, do not have you leaving the plane until you reach your destination.

13. dannyocean

dannyocean High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you like outdoors things and have a sense of adventure, this is really fun:

http://www.flightlinezbootleg.com/

I'm NOT into the outdoors or adventurous things ... and I absolutely loved it. It was thrilling.

14. Cinwhim

Cinwhim Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We did this last year and it worked out well for us. I think we were 4 nights in Vegas and then 6 in LA and San Diego. We flew out of Ronald Regan which was a breeze getting into and out of. Lots of good advice here! Enjoy your trip. :)

15. Blondieacerider

Blondieacerider Newbie

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for clarifying that!..

http://info.flightmapper.net/flight/Norwegian_Air_Shuttle_DY_7095

The new route started yesterday..

16. KellyLovesVegas

KellyLovesVegas Earthling/retired space nerd

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Absolutely! We've done the BC ziplines in August and December, and it was awesome each time! The guides are personable and professional.

17. Blondieacerider

Blondieacerider Newbie

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Seen this on a website and it looks amazing! think we may have to give it a go! Not keen on heights but you have to push yourself out of your comfort zone now and again!

18. firstkill

firstkill High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Blondieacerider, The timing of your trip is crucial for out door activities. I am from los angeles and go to vegas monthly and will call my self an medium outdoors person.

If its EARLY October, I would do a lot of outdoor activities. Towards the end of October, things start getting cold and dark early, so its hard to do outdoor stuff.

UK to vegas how ever you like.
    1. in vegas for maybe 3 nights
    - rent car for traveling around
    - shoot a machine gun http://www.battlefieldvegas.com/
    - drive a race car at a track. (Italian horse) http://www.exoticsracing.com/
    - play with bull dozer. http://www.digthisvegas.com/

tons of free stuff to see at the hotels. between walking to different hotels, checking out the free exhibts, this can take 3 days and then some.

Keep car, drive to Zion national park. Spend 1 or 2 night here.
    the main hikes in my opinion. "the subway" and the "narrows" 5k-7 km worth of hiking you must google to pictures

Leave zion national park to Page, Arizona to see 1 night here, if not enough time, I would not stay here, just see the sites and drive to grand canyon
    1. Antelope canyon (must google pictures)
    2. Horse Shoe Bend (must google pictures)

Leave page for Grand Canyon south Rim (2-3 nights)
    - hike, horse trails, donkeys, rafting

at this point you will need to make a decision. 10 hr drive from Grand canyon to either San Diego or Los Angeles. Or 5 hours back to Las Vegas.

If you can do the 10 hr drive. I would go to San Diego
    - la jolla cove x 2 night. (google pics) then a 2 hr drive to los angeles
    - Los Angeles x 2 night. just to look around. Hollywood/Beverly hills/ tons of ethnic foods

Then 4-5 hr drive back to vegas. Its a boring drive, lots of rocks and desert. If you want to kill time to break up the drive, theres
    http://cms.sbcounty.gov/parks/Parks/CalicoGhostTown.aspx old western town that is deserted. But its "on the way"

By my calculations, this trip can be done in 14 days. If you only have 1 week, I would skip Los Angeles and San Diego.

Fk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.