1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Too early to talk college football?

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Jerseyguy2, Jun 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jerseyguy

Jerseyguy MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Been a lot of talk in my local papers because Rutgers is joining the Big 10 or BIG (whatever)officially today maybe? I love college ball especially the Eastern teams,service academys and really love it when a team from a smaller conference knocks off a powerhouse. In my humble opinion,I think theres more parody in the college game than there was years ago Teams like Boise State, Central Florida to name a couple are now big time compared to years ago. MAC teams can be tough along with a lot of other so-called 2nd level conference teams.
    It may be more tv coverage cash into schools,more bowl games and I really think high schools are really putting a lot of effort into training ,development and putting out tons of good ,big players for all the colleges to choose from. And the NCAA has cracked down on some of the "football factories".for some of their shady stuff.
    Maybe its too early but you tell me.

2. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Never too early!

I don't know about parity as much as there are opportunities now for mid-major teams. Sure the BCS bullshit was stacked against 'em, but those teams still were getting more chances at statement games than in the past. There always was a mid-er or two that every year went 10-1, 12-0. Now they actually might've benefited from the very BCS structure that tried to all but lock them out. Someone did get a chance most years, and they often prevailed.

But whatever parity might be at play is going adios if the big conferences make the break from the current, small-school-dominated NCAA administrative/rules/policing structure.

3. RebelDiceMan

RebelDiceMan VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It is never too early to talk about college football. I had a pretty bad screw up of my foot/ankle after falling off a ladder a month ago. (2 hour surgery-two metal plates & Eleven screws inserted) I sent my GF to Books-A-Million and have been mostly reading football prediction magazines since the accident. I just hope I can get fully healed by the time our first trip to The Grove rolls around.

4. GilGunderson

GilGunderson Classy Degenerate

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think it's exciting for Rutgers and NJ to have a team going to a major conference. Too bad this wasn't 8 or 9 years ago. Those mid-2000s (well maybe just 2006 and 2007) teams would have done well against the competition in the Big10, and probably pulled off a few upsets. They're likely going to have a down year and look bad. Probably a new coaching staff after this year. If Mark Richt gets fired from Georgia, RU would be salivating to get him. I think it would be a good pickup for that program, he's had some bad luck in crucial games, but i think he's a pretty good coach. Schiano was a good recruiter and Gameplanner, as well as a good defensive coach, but terrible game day adjustments (or complete lack of adjustments i should say) were his undoing. He never changed his ways, including with the Bucs in the NFL.

Overall, i think the SEC is still stacked (albeit a little overrated), but the pac 12 should have a couple of teams close to the top 4 by the time this new playoff system starts. FSU will likely be a top team again, maybe due for a repeat before winston decides to declare for the draft. The ACC has had a ton of individual talent over the last 10-15 years, but the coaching and team results aren't as good as the aforementioned conferences. I'm much more into the NFL, but i still follow college a lot more than a casual fan would.

5. chess

chess VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I love college football....can you tell by my avatar....

I hate to break it but Rutgers is going to get smashed in B10 play....

6. Jerseyguy

Jerseyguy MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We'll see starting on Sept 13 when PSU comes to town . Didnt WVU take some whippings when they joined the Big 12 or whatever it is?The shame of it is that NJ has some of the best HS talent in the nation. Always ranked near the top 5 . Most football powers recruit NJ hard. If they could keep the top kids in state they could play with just about anybody.

7. progrocker2112

progrocker2112 Watch out for this guy

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The thing that is going to hurt parity in NCAA Football is season long NFL Thursday Night Football. Boise State was able to recruit over their means because they had national airtime on Thursday nights. TCU and Rutgers also benefited from this, eventually making it into a major conference. Fewer teams are going to volunteer to play with short rest now that they won't be getting the same television exposure, so both the product quality of college Thursday night football and the recruiting benefit received from the schools that volunteer for it are going to be reduced. Boise State is already on the decline, should have made a Pac 10/12 play when they had the chance. UCF will continue to do well because they're just that f'ing big. Really surprised they weren't in a power conference to begin with, they've got the enrollment for it.

Also, don't make any predictions on new power conference members 'getting smashed', they said the same of my Alma Mater, Texas A&M...you never know who will have the next breakout star.

8. chess

chess VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We lost all of our players... its a bad excuse but its very true....As a Rutgers fan you cant talk trash on WVU, as you have never beaten us EVER.........

NJ has tons of talent and they cant keep it... IMO losing Greg was a HUGE loss.... Brandon Coleman I saw play in highschool and he had so much talent but wasnt used enough IMO in college.....

I wish you guys luck !!

9. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Smack talk could be better in NCAA FB than any other sport.

Huck the Fuskies, btw!

10. Jerseyguy

Jerseyguy MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:

11. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sorry, double post :cry:

12. salemorevegaslover

salemorevegaslover Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Boise St decline started about 2 yrs. ago. In my opinion, they will not achieve the heights they've had in recent past. For that matter, nearly all the mid majors time in the spotlight has evaporated. Why??? The major conferences and the TV money that accompanies that relationship will swallow the less fortunate and cash strapped mid majors. I would not be surprised if schools like Hawaii eventually drop to NCAA II or even NAIA level. They just cannot compete with the big boys anymore. Just my opinion.

13. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm still getting used to Nebraska and Penn State and now they're adding Rutgers and Maryland? Ughhhh... I liked it when it was just Ohio State and Michigan battling it out for the title every year, with Wisconsin thrown in every so often for fun. Does Indiana still have a football team?

14. Gino

Gino "The King of Inappropriate."

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah...Fuck this thread...I'm still sore after my Gators going 4-8 last year..:grrr:...Basketball eased the pain a bit, but not much. Our schedule is brutal, new o.c., plus a real young team and a meh head coach doesn't give me a ton of confidence.

15. RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa Front Line Winner

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The school I went to is very small and had no football team. Plus I have spent time in the south so I love watching the SEC. However, I will gravitate to just about any game with any conference playing.

UT vs OU? I am watching.
    LSU vs Bama? IN!
    USC vs Washington? I am watching.

I used to love the Colorado vs Nebraska and Nebraska vs UT games. Also was pretty fond of watching Miami back in the day too.

I am just an all around college football fan. Nothing was better than a huge game and listening to Verne Lundquist or my fellow degen Brent Musberger open with "you are looking LIVE..."

16. USCHawks

USCHawks High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It is never too early to talk CFB! There's nothing better than watching games all day from 9am to 10pm. Well I'll be honest, the 9am Big 10 games are usually a bore so an early round of golf may be in store, but from noon on I'm usually wishing I had more than 1 television to catch up on all of the games.

17. USCHawks

USCHawks High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Truer words have never been spoken!

18. lotso-bear

lotso-bear VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Never too early to talk about NCAA Football. I'm already talking about NFL and how lousy of a season my Jets are going to have again. It sucks that my Boilermakers will probably have a lousy season as well..

19. RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa Front Line Winner

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I loved watching Geno at WV (my cousin is an alum) and think it will turn out to be a decent NFL QB. However, I am a Vick fan and think that he will probably win the job (at least until he gets injured).

I love Rex Ryan too...mainly because of his pops.

20. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Very astute observation up top.

BSU never was Pac-able. Funding, academics, other sports ... the only ones seriously thinking that marriage was gonna happen were desperately hopeful alums and folks in the Idaho legislature.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.