1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Banff and Jasper here I come!!

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by ken2v, Jun 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Can't wait. I get to Canada most years but I haven't been to Banff and Jasper since the year before Eddie the Eagle soared above Calgary during the Winter Olympics.

2. Someone

Someone High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    im very jealous I love going to Canada and Banff is GREAT and western Canadians really like to dish it out to Texans too so that is even funner

and in Eastern Canada I have an "accent" from Texas so when they speak French and I say "uh" they are usually pretty friendly once they hear me talk (more so now not as much on a family trip when we were younger).....Quebecers :eek: and if they hear you in the ballpark or on the street they will sometimes chat you up really friendly especially Montreal :)

3. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sounds like a wonderful trip! I wanted to go to Banff when my parents visited back in the 80s but they left me at home - it's definitely on my list!

4. dooner

dooner High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Have a great time in our neck of the woods!!! Show them Thompson layouts whose boss now! (especially in Jasper - my top three mountain tracks of all time!)

5. VegasDiva

VegasDiva VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Enjoy!! Check out Jaspers newest attraction , their version of the Skywalk, except over a Mountain Valley :) I'm in Calgary , sorry its raining tho!!

6. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hey, soon, just completed 36 at Jasper.

We're doing that tomorrow on the way to Banff Springs. Weather's stellar here today. Forecasters said that crap from yesterday was moving south and nailed it.

Funny funny week. I start in coastal CA, off to the Canadian Rockies and then conclude in La Quinta!

7. Jerseyguy

Jerseyguy MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Have a great time Ken,that Lake Louise looks beautiful .That Fairmount Hotel(think thats the name ) was always a place I wanted to go to. . Maybe one day. Another place I always wanted to see was Havana Cuba. I came close to a six month deployment to Gitmo years ago, but you never get to see any part of Cuba obviously. So have fun .

8. Joe Strummer

Joe Strummer VIP Whale

"The Burglar Of Banff "
    Every time I hear "Banff" - i think of some dumb TV episode -
    Was it from "F Troop" ?
    and they pronounced both letters ( F)...."Banfff - ffff "

9. Jerseyguy

Jerseyguy MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It was Paul Linde who played the Bandit of Banfff on F Troop.

10. Joe Strummer

Joe Strummer VIP Whale

I can't believe you KNEW THAT !!!!!!!!!!
    Paul Lynde was funny.............................and drunk.

11. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Haven't seen much mega-fauna this time. Good number of elk but that's about it.

Stanley Thompson sure had a good eye for design.

12. dooner

dooner High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You should have played Banff about 20 years ago - before they spent the $$$ to renovate the course to 'return' it to original Thompson design. They didn't re-route any holes, simply made some better 'site' lines, green renos and, most importantly, improved bunkering. I found that it set up some holes better and placed more importance on the tee shot after that.

Hope you enjoyed the tracks. Its been a few years since I've played them. I'm not a huge fan of mountain courses (even though I've played 100's of them :) ), since I spend more attention on my next golf shot, not the scenery. I love to play real fast, with a different focus than most golfers on these courses (love them 2 1/2 hour rounds).

Always a pleasure to hear about your next golf adventures, Ken!

13. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That's one of the things I like about golf, the scenery. After SO many eons of desert golf, this mountain stuff just resonates. It's like seaside play, I just don't tire of it. Now I just bounce errant balls off vineyards and oak trees. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.