1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

American, Delta, and United reduced size limit for carry-ons

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by Mandiferous, Jun 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mandiferous

Mandiferous Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
  2. lotso-bear

lotso-bear VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is good. Some people have some ridiculously large suitcases that they try to cram into the overhead bins.

3. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I always travel with a carry-on and almost always check it. It just makes the whole airport experience and boarding/deplaning so much easier. I agree with lotso-bear, some people have gotten stupid with what they try to cram up there.

4. Snidely

Snidely VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've only been asked to have my bag checked once. The guy was a jerk and made me take a sweatshirt out of the bag and carry it on the plane so the bag was smaller somehow. You just can't give some people any power without it going to their heads.

I'm betting they don't enforce it. They didn't really enforce the old rule that much.

5. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    +1 on this!

6. hillwood24

hillwood24 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As others have mentioned, this is a good thing. If your bag is HUGE, you should check it. It slows down the whole boarding and deboarding process when people try to cram suitcases into the overhead bins that they should have never carried on in the first place.

This is the one thing I like about Spirit Airlines. Since they charge $35 for carry ons, you have a lot less people carrying bags on. This results in quicker boarding and deboarding.

Great move. I'm glad to see American on the list.

7. C0usineddie

C0usineddie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Doesnt bother me in the slightest. I check my bags. Never carry on, never have and I have flown all over the world many times.

Lets get real now. We all knew that once people started abusing this policy that this would happen.

Weight is weight and aircraft , just like cars, use fuel. Its also a safety concern.

Also the balance of the aircraft is a concern that most people dont factor in. The cargo area is where it is for a reason and is designed to carry a certain amount of cargo, Put that cargo up higher in the plane and it affects the performance which in turn will affect fuel mileage.

They are a for profit industry so I dont mind them making some money, I am all for it.

8. thecarve

thecarve Misanthrope

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'll pile on: I applaud this! People who carry on what should be checked are part of an ever-growing group of selfish pricks, oblivious to the existence of others. :grrr:

My MO is a small backpack with my iPad, some headphones, a few magazines/books, a bottle of water and my roll. It always fits neatly under the seat. Everything else is checked.

9. RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa Front Line Winner

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yep I'm on the "it's good" train too.

Nothing grinds my gears more than people schlepping huge bags on board and trying to cram them into the overhead. Especially the people who seats are in the back and they're throwing their huge damn bags into the overheads in the front and middle of the plane. Oh it's too heavy for you to carry and lift? Check it!

When I'm sitting at the gate and the gate agents decide to enforce the rules I smile when they make people gate check and pay the fees. Trying to run game and getting caught is funny to me.

If I'm carrying on then I have my backpack and small roller bag or nike duffel.

10. Kickin

Kickin Flea

I have to go to JFK in the morning. I think checking bags is nuts unless absolutely necessary. But I don't mind the new size restrictions because all my bags fit. United has been very strict on the new policy especially out of EWR.

11. ardee

ardee It's only money.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've always found it interesting that much of the time, it's the business/frequent flyers (who generally get upgraded to first) who are some
    of the biggest offenders of stuffing the overheads to overflow by the time anybody else gets on the damn plane.
    So slick and smooth they are.
    Hiding a giant attache/briefcase packed like it's about to burst, as well as a huge carry-on and covering it with a raincoat or jacket when boarding.
    By the time anyone else gets on board, there's no room to place your own bag in at least the general vicinity of your seat.
    I've been a frequent flyer for several years and do get upgraded to first from time to time and it's amazing how rude and standoffish some of these fellas can be.
    They don't care if they've filled an entire bin with only their belongings.
    The flight attendants often pretend they don't see what's going on (I'm talking Delta, mostly) while the entire overhead gets stuffed by about 5-6 people with
    laptop cases, attaches AND bags. And of course, it's almost always the guys who like to sit in the bulkhead row for "leg room" and they can't put anything under the seat in front of them.
    Spoiled brats, they are. I'd like to know how they're going to handle these offenders on a regular basis. Though I'm sure it will still go on because they're special.
    These are the same people who take a fit when they find out they haven't been upgraded to first/business class.
    But I digress...

12. leo21

leo21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am all for ending the overstuffing of the overhead compartments. But it is shady to do it right after starting a policy of making customers pay when they have to check a carryon and only making announcement on half of the policy change. Changing the size of a carry on is a pretty big deal and there should have been more info out there about it.

13. Snidely

Snidely VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    They're only making it an inch smaller or am I missing something? It just makes existing carry-on bags obsolete in order to raise additional revenue for the airlines.

14. RockyBalboa

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Solid rant, ardee.

I have been a lowly silver on Continental and United so I occasionally get an upgrade bone thrown my way. I mainly buy first seats or the E+ seats so when I do get the upgrade the free booze while en route to Vegas is nice.

I'd be for airlines (all) charging for carry-on's to be honest. That would really speed the boarding process up. It blows when people are fighting to find space. A late rollback because someone is trying to stuff a huge bag into a small spot or if no space is left then the agents have to gate check it while on the plane. Hurry up and let's get in the air!

Passengers would get one free small carry-on like a backpack or diaper bag type deal and have to pay for an extra.

15. lotso-bear

lotso-bear VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've had people who hit me with their carry on bag because it was too heavy to hold onto. It's really frustrating, especially when the bags hit my head and they're not aware of it (which is generally the case).

16. lotso-bear

lotso-bear VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As someone who generally purchases paid First Class fares for domestic travel and paid Business (sometimes First Class) fares for int'l travel, I'd hate to see the airlines charge me for my carry-on bags. Unlike some First Class pax that hog the overhead (which I've seen as well), I only bring on a carry-on suitcase and laptop backpack which I place under the seat infront of me. The biggest issue with the boarding process taking forever is that every wants to have their suitcase with them since it takes forever for checked bags to arrive at the carousel. This is why I like Alaska Air since they have a 20 min. guarantee on the checked bags arriving at the carousel.

17. RockyBalboa

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes! I sit in the aisle 90pct of the time so my arms and head get smacked once in awhile. Some apologize and others are totally oblivious.

Or people who don't take their backpack off to walk the aisle and when they get to their seat they turn to face their seat and the poor sap across from them gets a face full of backpack.

18. RockyBalboa

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm the same in purchasing the first and business seats. I'd say I'm probably paying to ride up front 75pct of the time.

I'd think the free carry on would be a first class perk and I'd be cool with that. However even if I'm riding in the back I'd be ok with paying $25 or so for a carry-on. It's worth it to me to streamline the boarding process and get us going.

19. lotso-bear

lotso-bear VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    +1 on the carry-on charge. My only request is that they don't charge the higher status members (75K+ flyers), especially with all of the legacy airlines going into a revenue-based program.

20. RockyBalboa

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Agreed. The devaluation of the FF programs is a shame. And the qualifying dollars schtick now? Ugh. That's a killer for some people especially those who book through company travel agencies. They lose the EQD bc of the special fares.

Just like the players clubs...take care of your loyal customers and quit shafting them. As a salesman I value brand loyalty and reward my customers for choosing my company. Some corporate reciprocation would be nice rather than pretty much saying "we don't care if you choose to fly a competitor"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.