1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Score! TSA pre check

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by Joe, Jun 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just did the check-in for tomorrow's flight. Not the greatest boarding position on SWA. I got A59 and my wife B9 (separate tickets) but I got the TSA pre-check on mine.

Yes! Shoes stay on along with the belt and I can throw a couple of 187 ml wines in my carry on..:beer: Winner already!:thumbsup:

I was getting jealous, my wife has gotten this 3 of our last 4 flights, but first time for me.

2. Buddha

Buddha VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes !! That TSA pre-check really gets you through the screening, in very little time. Strange that your wife had it last trip, but not this trip.
    We both had it both ways back in April ... Chicago to Vegas, and the return. We hope it continues for us in Sept. & Nov.

3. bubbakitty

bubbakitty Doing retirement again and happily so....

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A royal can only follow....good luck Joe!

4. queuetee

queuetee VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Both DH and I scored one out of Boston...It was good for both legs of the trip. Boston had no separate area, but in LV, the screening area is totally separate from the normal one. There were three agents and just us.....while on the other side of the hall, there was a huge line.

5. CalifLovesVegas

CalifLovesVegas High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I always get Preck but spouse 50/50. Maybe cuz I'm AList.

But bring your spouse with you, and ask, Were traveling together, can my wife come with me?

Sometimes they let both in, so give it a try before sending your wife to the LONG Tsa line...........

6. br549

br549 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Gotten it the last three trips to Vegas and back to San Antonio. Love it!

7. keno60

keno60 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I got it this time too. I had already taken off my shoes.??? I was flying to McAllen.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2014
  8. dfalk

dfalk VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've had it like the last 3 times leaving Vegas, very nice.

9. VPDana

VPDana High-Roller

I live in the Midwest, St. Louis, MO to be exact.
    Trips to Las Vegas:
    Way to go, Joe !!! Hopefully your luck continues while in LV. For our April trip, I got pre-check going and my husband and I both got pre-check goming home. After reading some of the above posts, I'm wondering if you're more likely to get the pre-check after you get it the first time???

10. merlin

merlin MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I got the pre-check on my return on wed...of course with my luck there was no one in line anyway.

11. Wezvidz

Wezvidz High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I paid the $85 and got fingerprinted 3 weeks ago at a local TSA branch and just got my KTN (Known Traveler Number) in the mail.

So so crucial if you fly a lot. I fly at least 12 roundtrip times a year up to 15. Just added the KTN to my Southwest/United/Delta accounts and it will be applied to all current and future reservations.

This is such a nice thing to finally offer on their part. Only downside is randomly assigning it to people who didn't sign up (like most of you above it seems) who then slow down the line because they don't understand the 'leave your shoes on and everything in your carryon' policy. This mostly applies to our elderly friends.

12. 44inarow

44inarow VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The other thing I've found is that at least at some airports (*cough* JFK *cough*), they randomly assign more people to Pre, but they've also turned up the sensitivity on the metal detectors slightly. For some reason, my plain black Rockport dress shoes set off the JFK detectors; this didn't happen in my first couple years of Pre, and it doesn't happen anywhere else, but every damn time at JFK the thing goes off.

13. ardee

ardee It's only money.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hope you're having a great time, Joe!

Started with some good luck, it seems. Keep it going. :beer:

14. Chuck2009x

Chuck2009x VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I didn't think pre-check was exempt from the 100 ml limit, it's just that you don't have to take them out of your bag.

15. lotso-bear

lotso-bear VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Exactly.

16. Busyman

Busyman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Pay the $80 for the background check and you are good for 5 years, folks. It won't be random then.

17. Dweller

Dweller Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is not true, it still depends on the airline you are flying and you can still be randomly selected out (instead of in). I have Global Entry and most of the times I get my precheck on my boarding pass. But sometimes I don't and when I've asked they told me it is still on a flight to flight basis and there is no guarantee.

Also the PreCheck line is sometimes as long or longer than the regular security line now because they are letting so many people into it. They will let people into it right at the airport and many people who are not frequent travelers don't know how to go through the PreCheck line so the slow it down.

18. Busyman

Busyman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Mmk. It's not as random then. I'd rather roll the dice on being randomly out and most times in.

Besides that, Global Entry is not TSA Pre. You only improve your odds with GE (and this goes up every time you use it). TSA Pre is a different animal altogether.

So.....it is true.

19. Kickin

Kickin Flea

Global Entry DOES give you TSA PreCheck, if you're a member of any of the Trusted Traveler programs you get TSA Precheck. Global Entry is just more robust because it includes expedited CBP screening as well. If you're going to apply for one you might as well do Global Entry so you're covered for international travel along with the benefits of TSA PreCheck.

Also if you have an AMEX Platinum (and maybe some other cards) they will cover the application fees for one of these programs....but you still have to go in for the "interview".

20. miniwhale

miniwhale High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    True! If you go to sign up for pre check, it states that you don't need to if you have Global Entry. Global Entry is awesome! Coming back from Dominican Republic, we walked right through immigration and customs, right past the pilots and flight attendants.
    I also agree with some security lines allowing more non paying precheck people through the line. Coming back from Vegas, right before we got to the line, the other side was waving a ton of people over to the precheck line. It does hold up the line since most don't know the rules. One person told me, in Houston, she was held up because a family with several children were told to go through the precheck line. I would be beyond irritated!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.