1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

My Golf Game has returned Guys, for how long who knows

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Jerseyguy2, Jun 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jerseyguy

Jerseyguy MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Made a slight adjustment to my swing path and had a 79 today .From the yellow tees ,but only 10 yards closer on most holes. I know ,if it wasnt for the damm windmill
    I would have gotten the last shot in the clowns mouth for a free game. Used the same ball all morning on a wooded course on both sides ,thats the first time thats happened in a while ,usually loose 2 or 3 at least.

2. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Good shooting, jersey! Gawd, I haven't broken 80 on a full-length course in, oh my …

You actually can tweak your swing? I just wish I could make mine look less like a seizure than it does.

3. Jerseyguy

Jerseyguy MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes you can tweak it ,I was taking the club away too far outside and coming over the top a lot. Now I go back further inside and keep my swing path closer to my body on the downswing.

4. Snidely

Snidely VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What course did you play?

Any time you break 80 and use the same ball is a good day. I fight coming over the top, too. I cured my hook with the driver but now it's a power fade that leaks into a slice if I don't watch it. It's always something.

5. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Releasing early here, adding loft. And I need more hip release and less lift. VERY timing dependent, which is blatantly obvious in my Jekyl/Hyde scoring. Only athleticism keeps me remotely "in" the game.

My power fade turned into a draw when I -- and this is counterintuitive -- went to an open-faced driver. Yep.

6. Snidely

Snidely VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Are you a flipper?

7. flyguyfl

flyguyfl MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My golf game returned to Scotland years ago!

8. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Isn't that what I wrote??? lol (Remember, I get paid by the word.)

Last fitting article I wrote, the guys at Titleist in Oceanside got to the point where they were yelling right before impact, "CHEST DOWN." (You pretty much can make all the noise you want when I play.) It's actually turned out to be a good swing cue, but of course I don't practice remotely enough for the mind/muscle memory to change for good. But it works when I do it. I'll crater an iron or two before I remember to get my hips out of the way, but it works.

9. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That's funny!!

10. wpete

wpete High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I remember for a few outings my Driver deserted me. Can't say I blame it, I suck. So I decided to try a 4 iron off the Tee. I wasn't getting the distance that I was with the Driver of course, but at least I was staying in the middle of the fairway with it. That lasted for about a half dozen rounds, then it too deserted me.

11. Jerseyguy

Jerseyguy MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Cedar Creek in Berkely Twp. Nj.Average public Course.some over 400 par 4's ,some elevation changes ,miss the fairway ,deep woods.

12. Jerseyguy

Jerseyguy MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As long as were talking about golf

For West Coast Guys like Ken,what can bite you on the butt in the Northeast especially this time of year is the tons of rain we get which allows the roughs to grow up high and thick in some places that can turn an everyday "cookie cutter" course into a challenge. There's some links courses and some courses have cleared the underbrush from under the trees so if you miss the fairway you can punch the ball out and keep it in play. Courses like the one I played today ,you risk lime disease from deer ticks if you venture into the woods.No Thanks.

13. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I lived in the PacNW for a long time, so empathize with the wet-shaggies, though most of my life's play has been of the cactus-and-rock variety. Out here in places we have something special called kikuyu (can kill ya). I'm sure Malibu has plenty of good kikuyu tales.

14. Snidely

Snidely VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just hit a large bucket and tried out some demo irons. I'm friends with a guy that teaches golf. 15 swings and 5 or 10 minutes and I'm hitting it well. As time goes on I revert back to my wild ways. Sprayed the ball pretty well. Tried I25, G25, and AP1. Wanted to love the I25 but couldn't hit them. The G25 with graphite shaft was pretty sweet. AP1 were very nice, too.

15. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you can stand to look at that G25, it is a damn nice club. I play the i20. Wow, 2+ years in the bag, gotta be some kind of modern record for me. lol

16. Snidely

Snidely VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I remember when you bought the I20s. Glad to hear you still like them. I've been playing standard clubs my whole life but the Ping website says I should be playing upright clubs due to my short arms. The G25s I hit yesterday were slightly upright (blue dots). The modern clubs hit with a more penetrating flight than my older irons which seem to go straight up in the air. I'm attending a Titleist fitting next week so we'll see what the Titleist people say.

17. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Static measurements are a good start, but ball flight and an good old fashioned impact board can best answer the question, as can one of the high-tech diagnostic processes, too. Since they had you in blues and you were at a demo event sounds like they tagged some of those bases. As posture is one of the big bugaboos for recreational players, the industry has by default gone to longer and more upright "standard" configurations as such players are always chasing the center of the club face.

That's weird about your traj. What are you current clubs? All this player-improvement stuff is designed to launch higher. Of course, if that demo club fits your specs better you can center-punch it more often and pured shots certainly don't look like ones hit just OK. Also need to keep in mind if your clubs are quite a few years old that that demo 6i has the loft of a 5 or 4 from not long ago.

If you're in the market for new sticks you are doing the right thing. And while I question the industry practice of every year telling us last year's stuff is obsolete -- but not every OEM is on that fast of a replacement cycle -- it is fun to go out and beat stuff. Remember, none of us ever have found a club we couldn't kill on the range. ;)

18. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
  19. Snidely

Snidely VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks. That's a nice piece of writing with a lot of truth. If you suck, don't buy new clubs that conform to your suck, fix your swing first unless you plan to just suck. I didn't get fit or anything last night, the pro just handed me a handful of demo clubs and said go have at it. Thinking about it today, the G25s appealed to my right brain but the AP1 touched me deep inside. Especially because I found a ball on the ground while leaving my stall and, you know, had to hit one last shot. Used the AP1 and just flushed it.

I played a LOT of golf about 30 years ago with tour blades then took a hiatus for 20 years. Just got back into it 3 years ago. Showing up at the course with a Pittsburgh Persimmon driver generated a lot of curiosity. I have a 7 year old set of Titleist 775 in my bag that look new that I bought for cheap off eBay 6 months ago and have played 3 rounds with them. Hitting the ball really well with them. Before that I had sets of X20 of Burner 2.0. The X20 aren't bad but the Burner 2.0 have a mind of their own. No telling how far the ball will go with them.

20. Malibugolfer

Malibugolfer High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Snidely, I just hope you didn't jinx yourself by making the "I fixed it" statement. The golf gods can be very touchy and are insulted easily. Also never say things like "# 7 is an easy par four."
    Always say "less difficult." It's not a trap, it's a bunker.
    You may think I'm superstitious but I'm not, being superstitious is bad luck.
    And yes Ken, I know kikuyu. They just replanted all the bermuda in my club's fairways with it.
    I wish the pros would play Riv in the summer, I saw guys in the U.S. Senior Open whiff right under the ball there years back. It can make for some awsome flyers too. And talk about hosel grabbing.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.