1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

This ain't MLB, the NBA, the NFL or anything involving Lance Armstrong ...

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by ken2v, May 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Justin Rose called a one-stroke penalty on himself for a double hit. He missed the cut by that one stroke. Tour officials reviewing HD video saw no basis for the penalty. Rose said he was pretty sure it happened and assessed himself the stroke.

2. geoff

geoff Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    that is an exceptional case of class integrity.. however, you don't think tiger (and others) are on the vitamin S?

3. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    But there is no exceptional to it as it happens all the time in golf. All the time.

As for juice, have you seen Jim Furyk, Phil Mickelson Miguel Jimenez?

A wise man said years ago: Test one guy, if he's clean does it matter what everyone else is taking? Everything I know from my friends who cover the tour is that if it is happening it is rare. The game doesn't lend itself to linebacker bulk. Hell, they got Veej for deer-antler spray. And they didn't even "get" him, he just tossed it out in an article and then someone figured out it was on -- but no longer -- WADAs hit list and it's going to cost the tour a ton of money. A ton.

4. Snidely

Snidely VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    At the pro level, golf is played between the ears. It's all about performing under pressure.

If Tiger is taking a little something something, it's to heal up quicker; not to perform better.

5. shokhead

shokhead No big spender unless eating drinking having fun!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Because we don't see it doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

6. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Profound. I get it. I've never been to Jupiter, for instance, so maybe it doesn't exist.

If you would like to offer up some evidence, articles, studies, proof, I'm all ears. Do I think golf is pure? Of course not. Do I think it's MLB, not remotely. I'm not in the meetings, I'm not in the testing lab or witnessing the protocol. I can just go off what I know about the game, which is a fair amount, and what people who are around the professional game -- inside the ropes and out -- tell me.

7. shokhead

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Do I think golf is pure? Of course not. Do I think it's MLB, not remotely

I agree with that.

8. Malibugolfer

Malibugolfer High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If the guys in MLB, NHL, the NFL or NBA were to call "penalties" on themselves there'd be no other pro sports.

9. bardolator

bardolator Lifelong Low Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Penalties in hockey, football, and basketball are subjective, as are the strike zone and the check swing. In golf, there is no opponent as such, and things are rather more cut and dried. Either you touched the ball or you didn't.

There is a significant cultural difference, though, at that level at least. Team sports fans would be happy with Godzilla being in the league so long as he played for them. Golf is "honor" policed, formally and informally, much more than team sports. When Matsuyama hit his driver on the ground, immediately someone (a fan, I assume) said something like, "You're better than that." It was audible in the broadcast. Then (for whatever reason) he chose not to use the driver in the playoff.

10. flyguyfl

flyguyfl MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:

11. shokhead

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Also team sports is different then a one person sport like golf, tennis, ect.

12. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So there is no part for integrity in team sports? As for tennis, is there a pro sport with more whiny petulant players? And I've not seen a lot of players say to the chair: "No, my opponent's shot you called out was actually in."

13. bardolator

bardolator Lifelong Low Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Gee, thanks for pointing that out, flyguyfl. I thought the club looked a little funny.

Team sports offer a very limited opportunity for players to confess to anything in play. When an umpire or referee makes a call, that is the call. What a player says does not matter.

14. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Golf has referees/umpires. In fact bazillions times more than any other sport. They are VERY much a part of determining calls and outcomes.

15. shokhead

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I said different, not no part for integrity. Let's not go overboard for a boring sport that other then golfers most don't watch unless yes, unless Tiger is playing. Sometimes the truth hurts.

16. Jerseyguy

Jerseyguy MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Theres a million referees watching golf at home also. How many times have people watching on tv called,texted or whatever to report a violation.

17. shokhead

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not something to brag about.

18. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Man, there were some serious meltdowns yesterday. Matsuyama was clutch after going double bogey-bogey late and dispatching his gamer to the re-shaft heap. And I thought it was interesting that Slugger White asked his caddie if the busted club was out of the bag at the start of the playoff.

There are only a handful of current players who'd not trade swings/places with Adam Scott, I'd imagine, but can he ever kick 'em to the curb at times?!? I think we saw a few instances of old Brainless Bubba yesterday, as well.

Finally, who worse to have to sit around for two hours than Jittery Na. I'd like to have seen him close it out (nothing against Matsuyama, who showed a set).

19. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yep. Indeed. As I was saying. I think it is good the tour is trying to get ahead of this, the USGA (even as Augusta screwed the pooch last year), and allow for rules enforcement and integrity to continue but not be consumed by HD cameras and HomeRats. You could hear the announcers hinting at this very thing right after Matsuyama busted his driver.

With his putter smash earlier this year maybe this guy needs a little anger management session?

20. shokhead

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Bummer Tiger is still on the mend. Bad for golf ratings.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.