1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Best place to stay for future comps

Discussion in 'Downtown Hotels' started by thatguy1976, Jun 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thatguy1976

thatguy1976 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hello everyone!

I am new to this board and have really enjoyed reading all of the great posts. I will be visiting Las Vegas in August for 5 days and I will be staying in downtown Las Vegas for the first time in years. I'm super excited about it because I have grown tired of the Strip. My question is, which hotel is the best to stay at/and or play at to receive the best future offers. I typically visit Vegas 1-2 times per year. I play Video Poker. I am a lower roller as my game of choice is Multi-Hand Double Double Bonus nickel video poker (50 cents per hand). I usually do play most of the day though.

I currently have reservations at The California and plan to do most of my play at the 3 downtown Boyd properties. But I am wondering now if I would be better off staying at either Four Queens, The D, The Plaza, or somewhere else and giving them most of my play. From what I have read, these properties seem to be about equal as far as gaming goes. Any comments or suggestions are greatly appreciated! Thanks : )

Jason

2. Royal Flusher

Royal Flusher Savvy Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm guessing you would get some offers from Four Queens and possibly Boyd as well on your play - one thing though - you said you play multi-play nickels, 50 cents a hand - I'm guessing that you did not mean to say you play 2 hands at a time... So does that mean you play 10-play, nickels? If that were so, it would be $2.50 a hand and if you played that all day, you would definitely get some offers of some sort.

3. thatguy1976

thatguy1976 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for your reply. No, I usually play 3 hand or 5 Hand nickle, using 2-3 credits per hand. So Typically I will average 50 cents total per hand. Is that usually enough to warrant some offers if I play for a long period of time? Thanks!

4. aaisack

aaisack VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's pretty tough to find good 3/5/10 play, particularly at the nickel level. I did a quick search - Main Street Station has 8-5 Bonus poker 3/5/10 play at the quarter level. I don't play a lot of 3/5/10 because I would rather play the single line with better pay tables.

Your best bet are probably the Boyd properties. Main Street Station, California, Fremont - MSS is the best of the 3 for VP - they have 9/6 JOB at their bar which is great for free drinks. They also have a nice bank of 10/7 Double Bonus.You will receive future offers for a reasonable level of play. If you make Sapphire they will give you 3 free nights at any of their properties (I got that offer a month after making Sapphire for the first time). They also would occasionally send me free or close to free room offers prior to this year with minimal play (never half way to Sapphire until this year).

You also want to stop by the Downtown Grand and sign up for a card. I literally put 5 bucks into one of their VP machines a month ago and they just sent me an offer for two free nights - either they're really desperate or they know i'm giving Boyd properties some decent action.

The Four Queens, the D and El Cortez are also good options. They have sent me offers for dirt cheap rooms with minimal play - FQ just sent me one - 2 nights for $25 total + $20 slot play and no resort fee. The most I've ever given them is an hour a day at quarter VP. Maybe the Plaza as well - they're making a move to be more competitive with other downtown properties and I hear they can be an easy room comp. They certainly need more gamblers.

5. aaisack

aaisack VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes, if you concentrate your play at one property and give them at least a few hours. My suggestion would be to switch over to single line 10/7 Double Bonus (100.17% payback with proper play) or 9/6 JOB (99.54% and low variance) and bet 5 quarters a hand.

6. thatguy1976

thatguy1976 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Aaisack, thanks for your great reply. I think I'm gonna stick with The California and play mainly there and Main Street Station. I really enjoy playing there. And now that I've been thinking about it a bit, rooms are pretty cheap downtown anyways so I guess it doesn't matter too much. But I plan on doing some play at Four Queens, The D and Downtown Grand. Thanks again! 70 more days and I can't wait!

7. thatguy1976

thatguy1976 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    After playing triple and five hand, I have found it difficult to go back to single hand cause it seems boring to me. I know the payback is better but it's not my preference. But maybe I will try a little bit of it in August for a change. Thanks!

8. TIMSPEED

TIMSPEED VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    100% honest, with your betting level, MSS/Cal is about your only choice downtown to MAAAAAAYBE get on their mailing list...
    If you play ALL DAY, you may be able to get something...
    I think the minimum to get on their mailing list is like $2000 coin-in, so if you were willing to play like 4000 hands @ 50c a pop, you'd get something...

9. thatguy1976

thatguy1976 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I appreciate your honesty. I'm really not holding out for much. I'm only paying $24/night but I was just curious if some places such as The D or Four Queens would be more generous with offers than the Boyd properties.

10. keno60

keno60 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Try the 4 Queens if you play all day at a decent speed your coin in will add up. I think they will offer you a BOGO for rooms and you can see if they will comp the other one. Good luck

11. thatguy1976

thatguy1976 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Okay thanks very much! I appreciate everyone's feedback. Does Four Queens have decent video poker?

12. keno60

keno60 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes, it does!

13. aaisack

aaisack VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes they do. They have a bank of 10/7 Double Bonus quarters up against the wall near Magnolia's that is especially good. It gives a progressive bonus on the royal flush with the added bonus that Four Queens is great for cash back. A great bank of machines to give a few hours to if you want to get on a mailing list.

14. aaisack

aaisack VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    They also have good bartop VP (9 7 Double Bonus + quad progressive)

If you want to do some added research I recommend visiting vpfree2.com

15. thatguy1976

thatguy1976 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Oh okay cool. Will definitely be checking that out!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.