1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Dress code at steak houses (D, Circus circus, Binions)

Discussion in 'Restaurants & Buffets' started by joshrocker, May 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joshrocker

joshrocker VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Anyone have any opinions on acceptable dress for Andiamo steakshouse at the D, or the Circus Circus Steakhouse, or even Binion's steakhouse?

We'll be in Vegas during September. I want to pack nothing but shorts but we plan on hitting up a steakhouse. Probably one of the 3 mentioned (preferably Andiamo's or circus circus). Are they come as you are or will there be a dress code we need to prepare for?

We're attempting not to check any luggage and carry on only and i'd prefer to keep the extra clothes at home if we won't need them (to save on space in the carry on).

2. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's a resort town and I have eaten at the Steakhouse, Binions, Redwood and Second St Grill in shorts and a polo shirt many times during the hot months.

Two trips ago we dined at Redwood Grill and there was a party of 6 across from us and two of the guys were wearing wife beater Ts and baseball caps.

You see people in T shirts also. I don't recommend it, seems to take away a little from the dining experience, but shorts and a polo are totally acceptable.

3. joshrocker

joshrocker VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Great, Thanks Joe. Last time we packed suits and dressed up but it took up a ton of space for something I only wore once for a few hours. They can put us in the back booth in the corner if they need to. :hmmm:

4. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Back in the day, 20-25 years ago, I always brought a blazer, tie etc. I haven't since except for a wedding we attended. Jeans and shorts, but never a tee at night.:poke:

5. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would wear khakis or slacks on the plane and bring a polo, there is a time and place for everything. I don't want to jack this thread or impose my predilections on others. Going to the 777 pub and seeing wife beaters, cut off shorts, flip flops, backward caps.....no problem. It bugs me to see others in shorts and t shirts at higher end places that you mentioned, it lessens my experience. And sneakers are for basketball. But that's my story and I'm sticking to it. I'm in my mid Fifties and still a go to a local old time steakhouse near Camden, NJ and remember when Gents had to wear jackets. Now I see wife beaters on men with done-laps disease, shorts and sneakers and it makes me cringe.

And I would pick CC over Binion's, but I liked both. Andiamo is on my list for my next trip.

I just attended a college graduation on Sunday and some doofus walked in with shorts and a t shirt. :grrr:

6. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is a no-win topic here, more toxic than Battista's and politics combined.

Style once consisted of powdered wigs, long hose and knickers, with waist coats. Top hats once were required. Wouldn't those still be "proper"?

Times change.

While there is some level of dressing down that I think most would agree is just too down … then again, has anyone walked around Walmart recently?

Lotta folks think things like dress codes apply only to everyone else. Some ask what is the standard with no intention of following it. Some folks dress to the nines, regardless. Lotta people don't understand how someone else is dressed can impact another's enjoyment of dinner. How others dress does matter to some. Some people wear cutoff denim shorts. I happen to be a real fan of slippahs but of course wouldn't wear 'em to PRIME. For every "rule" there is an exception, particularly in Vegas. And while something might happen 99 out of 100 times I will guarantee you, here at VMB and out in the field, there will be that 1 out of 100 who says "eff it" and at that point is there even a suggestion or a requirement or a standard?

I think we just need a sticky here, saying something like:

"If you want to know what to wear at a particular restaurant (club, whatever) we suggest you contact the property directly."

This would save a lot of wear and tear on the furniture.

:rolleyes2:

7. KBT2012

KBT2012 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    In steakhouses in Vegas, it's pretty rare I see ANYONE in a suit. Wear some nice jeans, nice shirt, nice shoes (dark jeans, button up, dress shoes) and you'll be good to go. You'll see far worse.

8. joshrocker

joshrocker VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I really only care because if I have to pack extra clothes I may not get everything into a carry on. It will be hot in September so I won't need (or want) jeans or pants and it's just a guys trip so i'm not overly worried about how I look. Last trip the suit pushed me into checking my bag territory and I really try to avoid that if at all possible.

I hear you and I know it's an issue that bothers some people. I'm younger (35, don't know how much longer I can keep pretending that i'm young :evillaugh) and come from the dressed down generation. I already have to "dress up" for work 5 days a week and really have no desire to do it again on my off days and certainly not on my vacation. I just want to relax, be comfortable, and eat a great dinner. Last trip (ate at strip steak at Mandalay) I packed the suit and felt way over dressed while we were there. I was left wondering why I went through the hassle. There were no wife beaters or anything like that but more of a nice casual clientele. I promise I won't be in a wife beater and i'll have a collar on but can't promise much beyond that (unless i'm forced to pack the dress clothes of course) ;).

9. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Josh, I salute you for giving a shit. That's a very commendable trait. Kudos!

10. 44inarow

44inarow VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    :thumbsup:

11. ams722

ams722 Side Bet Shunner

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Basically, there is no dress code.

Even if they say "business casual," there is no dress code.

NO ONE (not even the really nice steakhouses) will deny you service if you are wearing clothes. Now if you're naked, that's another issue....

12. Snidely

Snidely VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I wore shorts and a polo to Andiamo's last year and was definitely felt under dressed. They still treated us great and it was a great meal.

Where is there an old school steakhouse near Camden?

13. C0usineddie

C0usineddie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Slacks are easy to pack, dont wrinkle real bad and take up little space. Replace 1 pair of cottony shorts with slacks. You will feel more confortable and not out of place.

14. NickyDim

NickyDim Hockey is life

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When we go out to dinner in any restaurant that has linen table clothes, men where slacks, women wear dresses/skirts. To each his own, but we like to set a higher standard. Plus it makes us feel better about ourselves and makes the evening a little more special.

15. mossman

mossman Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am actually in the middle here. I don't see the reason to be over dressed, like years past but shorts is a step too low for my taste. You give people an inch and they take a mile comes to mind. To me dress pants seems over dressed, but a good pair of jeans (no Levis here) is perfectly fine with a polo or button up.

Actually whenever I am in Vegas I always switch to jeans for dinner and after. I feel under dressed just walking around in shorts when it gets later. I normally go in Sep. as well.

As a side note, I always wear jeans on the plane. They always say if the plane does catch fire you don't want to be in shorts. So wearing the jeans travel day is what I do. No packing issue.

Having said all that, a few years ago we were wondering around looking for a place to eat. It was around 5.. so a little early. Me and my buddy were in shorts. We stumbled into Crafsteak and got a table. I had no idea the place was more upscale. They had no issues serving us and no regrets. The meal for the two of us came to $450 and I saw countless well dressed people come in, order one appetizer and leave. I personally still felt uncomfortable about wearing shorts and would go back with at least jeans on.

On a related topic, I never understood this fear of check in. I don't get it. One carry on with a change of clothes (just in case) and check it. Easy on you and all your fellow travelers.

16. dfalk

dfalk VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    About as bad as the couple I saw wearing Blackhawk jerseys at Ruth's Chris

17. vegasqc

vegasqc VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As long as you can pay your bill they wont care

They cant afford to let people leave cause their pants are too short

18. Rush

Rush MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:

I'd have smacked them at McDonalds!

19. Rush

Rush MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My feelings?

If you even THINK about asking what you should wear, you dress to the point where you don't have to ask anymore.

20. VPDana

VPDana High-Roller

I live in the Midwest, St. Louis, MO to be exact.
    Trips to Las Vegas:
    In general, it is always preferable to be a little overdressed than underdressed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.