1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Sunrise in Vegas - Best place to view it coming up?

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by EastCoastVegasFan!, May 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EastCoastVegasFan!

EastCoastVegasFan! VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Where is the best place to view the sun coming up in the morning? Normally, I am already up, so I figured it would be cool to watch.

July 19th - July 24th
  2. ncfatcat

ncfatcat Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
  3. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you can get out of the city for the sunrise, I highly recommend it.

On the other hand, I like to just lay in bed with the window open and watch all the neon turn off as the sun comes up.

4. easystreet57

easystreet57 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Your post and Sonya’s reply about watching the sunrise out of your hotel window brought back a Vegas memory to me. Please allow me to share;

Can’t give you the best location, but I can encourage your sunrise quest based on an unplanned, unforgettable experience during a Vegas stay a couple of years back.

A December trip, we had book a standard room at the Flamingo. Somehow we were given a front facing room on the 28th floor, our view was of the strip and staring directly at Caesars out of the nearly floor to ceiling windows. I awakened pre-dawn the first morning of our stay for just a quick and urgent visit to the bathroom. The drapes were left open because of the nighttime view we enjoyed before bedtime, that’s when I became a witness to the most beautiful sunrise I had even seen.

What caught my eye was not only the twin white tower of Caesars, but above them set a beautiful full moon about to be pierced by the peaks of the mountain in the west, their outline visible only because of the moon light.
    First I sat on the sofa in front of the window to enjoy the unexpected show, then I retrieved both the camera and the girlfriend but neither were taken as much as I. The camera (or the photographer) was not able to capture the scene through the glass to do it justice, and the GF’s interest was short-lived with a “Yeah, nice, wake me for breakfast”.

I continued to watch and the show got better. As the moon sank in the west, the eastern sky behind my perch began to lighten with the rising sun and I swear to you, as this unstoppable display continued, the sky, along with the mountain faces turned to a most magnificent shade of purple. I had been watching for nearly an hour now, the last view of the moon contained the silhouette of the mountain tops across its face as it disappeared behind them along with the purple hues, as by now, full sunlight turned the sky its natural blue and “morning” had arrived in Vegas.
    The event repeated itself the following day, but the position of the moon was somewhat different so the same performance was not the same, perhaps never to be repeated exactly, and if so, not likely that I would be present to see it.
    So yeah, try to catch a sunrise or sunset in the American Southwest, it just may have it own brand of beauty, even in a city that claims it’s about “sin”.

5. Tammy58

Tammy58 Frugal Slot Jockey

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No idea who has the best view...I love to watch the sunrise over the mountains. I have been lucky enough to have an east facing room at Flamingo and Harrahs...yup, opposite of the strip...high floor...at night you can see the lights on the streets reaching out to the east as far as the eye can see...I tend to wake early...so I would sit at the window and watch the sun come up over the mountains. Others can have the strip view...I love the sunrise over the mountain view. Once I had a total east view from the top floor at South Point...that was great for the sunrise...but not as many city lights at night as mid strip.

6. kitson

kitson VIP Whale

hey dfalk! got any pictures that illustrate the topic?

7. CJ's

CJ's Plumbing the depths of debauchery

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I got a nice view from the mountain view room in the Aria, watched as all the shadows were chased away shorter and shorter from each of the buildings and hotels in the "way" of the rising sun:blowkiss:

8. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well, the easiest way is to simply book a room on a high floor of any hotel with an unobstructed east-facing view.

I like Tammy's approach. I love being out at Red Rock or the JW Marriott, west side, looking at the canyon and the Spring Mountains burn to life. There's a rainbow of color and changes that far eclipses the retinal sear of looking east.

Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2014
  9. kitson

kitson VIP Whale

you guys are just too classy, actually talking about watching the sunset rather than seeing it during other early morning activites...

i feel so ashamed for my thoughts.

10. flyguyfl

flyguyfl MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think you are thinking about seeing stars.:wink2:

11. chef

chef Resident Buffetologist

Really isn't that one good place, as the position of the sun is different, depending on time of year. Probably a high floor facing east would be best.

12. EastCoastVegasFan!

EastCoastVegasFan! VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm sorry I wasn't more clear. I meant, after the random sex and night full of drinking.

July 19th - July 24th
  13. yoyoseven

yoyoseven Grizzled Vereran

Trips to Las Vegas:
    From a comfy chair in the Spearmint Rhino. Oh wait, that's the moon. Never mind.

14. lotso-bear

lotso-bear VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    +1. I enjoy my mountain views at Aria.

15. GilGunderson

GilGunderson Classy Degenerate

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Saw a nice sun rise from my room at the Rio a few years back. Previous night's antics with everyone involved was there to witness it. We all fell asleep right after, at least those who didn't leave the room after sunrise. Unlike anything i'd ever experienced in life before. A southwest sunrise is beautiful.

16. mescalita

mescalita old and in the way...

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What is this "sunrise" you speak of?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.