1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Maid coming into room before check out. Inappropriate?

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by zamboni, May 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zamboni

zamboni VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Got married last Wednesday and we stayed that night at the Tropicana in a very nice whirlpool suite. Check out time is 11, and at 8 a maid walked into our room. We did not have the DO NOT DISTURB hanger on the door, but I figured they wouldn't walk in before check out time, or at least until they got word we actually checked out. I am really still quite pissed off about this. Am I wrong to be mad about it?

2. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You did not have the DND sign on, but usually they wrap very hard using their key card before entering. Were you still asleep?

I can't fault her if the DND isn't there and you didn't hear her. We for example, never check out of a hotel, we just leave the room cards and go. So how are they supposed to know if the room has been vacated? Only way is the DND.

And congrats on the marriage!:thumbsup:

3. zamboni

zamboni VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Huge two room suite, bedroom was quite a ways away from the door. Idk, 3 hours before check out time to me is quite inappropriate. Most hotels the maids can use a radio to find out if someone has checked out.

4. leo21

leo21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sorry but you should have had the DND out and had the extra security locks on. They have a ton of rooms to clean and not much time to do it. They can't afford to wait til 10 or11 if there is a chance you left without checking out in person. On check out day, I make sure that bad boy is on the door until I am ready to go.

5. zamboni

zamboni VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Can't check in until 2 or 3 but it's ok for the maids to enter room 3 hours before check out?

6. Auggie

Auggie Dovahkiin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you didn't have the "do night disturb" sign or the door latch on then I'd say you are wrong to be mad about it - when people say "got to the hotel at 9AM and was able to check in..." thats how they get those rooms: by cleaning rooms from people that checked out early.

I would think that at the start of a shift they get a check list of what rooms were occupied the night before and then just grab their cleaning cart and start working their way down the hall to the rooms that don't have a DnD sign on the door.

Though it might seem like they could just phone down and check if a guest checked out or not, that just seems pretty inefficient and a waste of manpower (plus it might wake up other guests having a maid in the hallway checking down if a guest checked out or not)... especially when you figure that the only people that are negatively effected by current procedure are those that forgot to put the DnD sign out.

7. GoFlamesGo

GoFlamesGo Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you look at it from their perspective they don't know if you have simply checked out or not.

The part nobody will ever know is how loud did they knock? If they didn't knock then ya they are in the wrong but if they did, and you didn't hear then what they did is ok.

8. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't know about the hotel you were staying at, but at our normal place they start cleaning rooms at 8 AM. Zamboni I think you need to chill a bit. You didn't have the DND on the door.

9. Bommen

Bommen High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah you are in the wrong to be mad about this for reasons others mentioned above. Next time be sure to use the DND sign on checkout day, lesson learned.

Also its not like you were staying at the Mandarin were you can expect service out of the ordinary but to expect it from the Trop, com on now.

10. LolaDoggie

LolaDoggie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Congrats on your marriage. I wish you many years of happiness.

I hate to do this to you because I know you to be a really good guy. But, if you said they knocked on the door or knocked on the door and then barged in or just barged in, I would be with you 100%. But, without the DND sign, I would expect them to knock. You may or may not have heard the knock if it was a big suite. If they didn't knock first, that's a no-no.

I know you're upset about it. And the timing sucked. But, I don't think you can fairly blame the hotel and/or the maid on this one. Trust me, it'll be something you guys will laugh about for years.

And some unsolicited, free marriage advice that might make you throw tomatoes at me. It's better if you start admitting to your little mistakes like forgetting to put the DND sign up early in your marriage. If you ever hang out with married women, that's a topic that comes up frequently. Not in a good way either. If you cop to it quick enough she'll think it's cute and endearing.

11. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I agree... staying at the Hard Rock, it's not uncommon for some of the "night owls" to walk the hall and flip the DND signs over to the "Please a Tidy The Room" side or knock them on the floor all together. It's why I prefer a corner-room, but even that doesn't make me completely immune.

I have, on occasion, gotten the "key rap" from housekeeping, but never had one attempt to enter. Even if they did, I ALWAYS have the various locks flipped when in the room.

Are you wrong to be upset? No... I wouldn't be thrilled either... but the DND and the locks would've mitigated this and also, what "real" harm occurred?

12. Steelers7

Steelers7 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Even when I'm awake and in the room I typically have to door locked with both the deadbolt? and the latch that just flips over so no one can just walk in. I may or may not have the dnd sign on the door, just depends. I would say you made a mistake by not doing either. Congrats on the marriage, I would just chalk this up as lesson learned and be done with it.

13. LolaDoggie

LolaDoggie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Oh yeah, being a chick, I always put the latch on too.

14. Smo

Smo Mr. Las Vegas

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just 4 weeks ago at the Rio, on my day of checkout, they did an 8am "room check". Last year at Encore on checkout day, even though I had the DND lit up on my placard outside the room, security still did their 8am security check and entered my room while I was in the shower.

It's a 50/50 chance that some hotel will do this IMHO.

Oh, and congrats on your Marriage!!!!!!

15. C0usineddie

C0usineddie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    She is just doing her job. You should have put the sign out. Thats what its for. Let it go.

16. SH0CK

SH0CK Stylin' and Profilin' Quasi Tech Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Years down the road, this will be one of those funny stories you tell about your honeymoon, but right now... not so much. I agree with smartone on this one, I would be mad too, but if I've also forgot to put the DND sign and lock on the door after along night of drinking and had a maid knock and come in the room, even after knocking... then quickly scurry away when they find me still in bed.

What does get me pissed off, is when they still knock of try to come in the room after seeing the DND sign... or even worse, call the room before noon to see if I want service. :grrr:

17. Electroguy563

Electroguy563 Vegas Joker

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ths is kinda thread-related and hope it's not hi-jacking.

I stayed solo at the Fremont last year and I had the DND sign on the door but forgot to put the security latch on. The maid entered the room about 8 a.m.

I gotta admit I was pissed. I was up all night and now I can't go back to sleep, even though she said sorry and left.

Same trip 2 days later I left my room in the morning to start my day and the maid calls out to me if I wanted to clean my room, since I left the DND sign on. I graciously declined but she gave me a sad story about if she don't clean so many rooms, yada, yada, she will have to go home early.

I sighed and told her to wait a minute since I left my things all over the room, secured some stuff, left a tip, and then let her in. I was irritated, truthfully.

When I checked out I still left a big tip since I know their job is hard and they don't mean no harm.

18. LolaDoggie

LolaDoggie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've got a maid coming into the room story you might get a kick out of;

Our first trip to Vegas, Xmas-8th wedding anniversary-New Year's 2004 was also our first "real" vacation. I've told the story of the record snowfall the day before which was the day we were doing the 2+ hour drive to Detroit to do a park and fly overnight for our early morning flight to Vegas. We had a hell of a day on the 23rd, next to no sleep so by the time we got off the shuttle to check in at the Orleans we were exhausted. I think it was 10 or 11am. They were kind enough to let us check in.

We get into the room, close the drapes, turn off the lights and just crash. Fully clothed, just spread out like dead people on the bed. Sometime later I kind of half heard housekeeping knock. You know that dead sleep? I didn't respond. She must have thought it was vacant, too early to check in. And the room was dark. She didn't realize we were passed out until she had a light on. My husband didn't wake up at all. I still didn't respond. I might have been about 5% awake. I felt a blanket get put on me and a soft pat on my shoulder. I kind of rolled one eye around. And it's this nice Hispanic lady whispering to me to go back to sleep. So, I did. Slept like a baby.

I told my husband what happened when we got up for dinner and he's such a rube he thought that was "turn down service" and he was very impressed.

19. BackInVegas

BackInVegas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I had just checked in and was just nestling into the suite. I was on the phone calling work when in walked the head of housekeeping.

She did ring the doorbell though. I remember going, "What is that sound?" to whoever I was talking to.

I asked her if she wanted me to leave, she responded, "Sir, if you are in this room before me, I should be the one to get out."

I learned I had a doorbell on my room. I also learned that when you have one of the large suites it takes three or four cleaners for the room.

I am just glad that they are cleaning.

20. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes, this one. If I have my DND on, you can be pretty well assured that I'm not interested in being disturbed. Not by knocking or by phone call to ask if I want someone to bother me. If the DND is on and you don't clean because I'm sleeping, that's my problem, right?

I hear ya, because it's annoying when a stranger comes into your hotel room. But yeah, the DND sign and the latch are your friends.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.