1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Problems sleeping after drinking heavy

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by dfalk, May 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dfalk

dfalk VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I know there's some heavy drinks on this board, wondering if anyone else has this problem.

Saturdays are my days to drink. Its no problem to go out with buddies at 4PM and drink till 2AM. I get pretty drunk, go home and pass right out. I wake up sorta groggy but get up and go about my day no problem. The problem comes Sunday night when I'm laying in bed. I lay wide awake till 5 or 6AM and just feel weird. When I do fall asleep its the sleep where you're not really awake and your not really asleep. I'll also actually wake up at least once an hour for 10-15 min before going back into this not awake/not asleep thing.

Whats weird is any other day of the week I go to bed around 2-3AM and can fall asleep within 30 min. I can also go out and do light drinking, 4 hours or so, and be perfectly fine.

Anyone have this problem and know how to fix it, besides the obvious quit drinking so damn much?

2. BeeeJay

BeeeJay President of The Red Lobster Hostess Satisfaction

Trips to Las Vegas:
    when you lay down to go to sleep, mentally go thru your next Vegas trip, step by step, from leaving your house for the airport.....I rarely stay awake past the first day....

if that doesn't work, go thru each shot of Jim Furyk's last round of golf. That'll do the trick for sure, especially the putting.

3. wellmel

wellmel Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    hmmm I only have a problem sleeping if I did drugs as well as drinking. Or if I had redbull vodka.

4. Camp Rusty

Camp Rusty VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Oxidized Sugar ?

I believe that what happens is the alcohol metabolizes/oxidizes in to sugar at some point giving you an enormous sugar rush.

Could be wrong, but that's what I seem to remember form my orgaqnic chem classes.

5. kittyglitter_mm

kittyglitter_mm Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Drink lots of water/Gatorade during the day then at night take 2 Tylenol PM or something similar as long as your other medications don't interact. Check with dr.

6. DeMoN2318

DeMoN2318 The DERS

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I never have trouble falling asleep but it is never a restful sleep...

Temperature of the room makes a huge difference for me

7. LolaDoggie

LolaDoggie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A few drinks and I sleep pretty good. A few too many and I can't sleep due to heartburn and/or the rumblings of the Mirage volcano in my gut.

8. leo21

leo21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Alcohol will affect your sleep cycles. For me, it will make me sleepy but I don't sleep long or well after drinking a lot. Then once I wake, I have a hard time going back to sleep even if I am still tired. One of the reasons I don't go nuts drinking anywhere, especially in Vegas.

9. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You need to reverse the aging process, return to an age when the dreaded Black Sleep was still pretty much just sleep.

10. LolaDoggie

LolaDoggie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I should have mentioned, that's part of the reason why I'd like to switch cocktails to something less likely to give me heartburn and/or affects of too much sugar.

11. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    For me, dehydration causes the most discomfort (makes me hot and wakes me up) So I drink as much water as I can - I try to drink water in between alcohol and then drink a couple glasses before going to bed. That way, when I get up to pee (and I will...) I usually don't have a problem falling asleep.

My husband agrees (and yeah, getting old sucks:evillaugh) and now knows if he wakes up hot - drink water:peace:

12. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hey you damn kids, what do you know about getting old?!?

And get off my lawn!

13. dfalk

dfalk VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I normally drink a ton of water, like a gallon each day. But thinking about it now I don't drunk much the day after drinking. ill have to give that a try.

14. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I also drink ~ a gallon a day, and I think it's worse for people like us! We're used to more water so when we don't get it.....

15. breanna61

breanna61 Super Moderator

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When I tie one on and am up all night in Vegas about the time the old folk, who are much wiser than I and act their age, are getting up, I get a burst of conscience/clarity and order Baileys coffee.....because that doesn't count as still drinking. Finally when I get to bed round about 9 a.m., I'm a wide awake drunk who can fully appreciate a spinning room.

16. chef

chef Resident Buffetologist

As an ex-drinker, I surmise that the interruption in your sleeping pattern may ironically be caused by a lack of drinking.
    If you're only getting hammered one day a week, your body is going to be out of whack.
    Either stop completely, or go full on with 7-day a week (that was the plan I was on) schedule. That might regulate your sleep.

17. dfalk

dfalk VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:

I drink 3-4 times a week but only get hammered drunk once a week

18. FXT

FXT VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A little nyquil sunday night does the trick :thumbsup:

19. touche22

touche22 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Go for a jog or brisk walk during the day. Always made a difference for me

20. bardolator

bardolator Lifelong Low Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If I drink too fast, or drink less than two hours before going to bed, I sleep heavily for a few hours, wake up and have trouble getting back to sleep.

My solution has been not to drink fast and not to drink in late evening. Since alcoholism is rampant in my family, moderation is probably a good idea anyway.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.