1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

International flights = free drinks?

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by DonnyC, Apr 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DonnyC

DonnyC VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hey all,

Traveling with Air Canada from Calgary to Frankfurt.

My understanding is that I can get free drinks (even in economy class).

I don't sleep well on planes and so am thinking about watching movies the whole time.

Can I order 2 at a time?

Will they cut me off - if I average 2 an hour for the whole flight?

Is it better to order 2 drinks each time or order 1 drink more often?

2. flyguyfl

flyguyfl MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would try the one and repeat route. They can and will cut you off if you are blotto.

3. DonnyC

DonnyC VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    But then...at least at the beginning, I'd be ordering every 30 minues.

Of course I'll was for them to make their drink rounds - order 2 drinks - and then wait until they have served everyone before I start my consecutive rounds.

Thoughts?

4. lotso-bear

lotso-bear VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    AC will offer free drinks on that flight from Calgary-Frankfurt. They probably won't give you two drinks at once, but I doubt they will cut you off unless you're completely $h!tfaced or they run out of a certain drink. Just order the drinks one by one and maybe walk to the galley to grab a few drinks here and there.

5. sabinomarine

sabinomarine Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was on a Delta flight from Honolulu to Tokyo last year and they served me 2 or 3 at a time. Plane was only half full so that might have played a part.

6. lotso-bear

lotso-bear VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Every US airline is different when it comes to free drinks in Economy. It depends on the continent you're flying to and the airline you're flying with. United is the worst when it comes to free drinks on int'l flights. :peace:

Thank god I didn't fly in Economy for quite sometime now. Absolutely the worst, especially to Asia.

7. DonnyC

DonnyC VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Should I walk to the galley more often than hitting the call button?

What of flight attendants prefer?

The flight leave Calgary at 6:30pm...so I'm not sure when they turn the cabin lights down - aka when the flight attendants go and sit near the galley.

Is it a better idea to hit the call button until they turn down the cabin lights - as to not get in their way? Or would they prefer me to get off my butt and find them?

8. lotso-bear

lotso-bear VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No offense to those who are offended, but FAs for American and Canadian airlines tend to be lazy and less service-oriented than Asian, Middle Eastern, and some European airlines. This is why I only fly international carriers since I’m not “wasting” $3K-10K on a crappy product.

They would much rather you go to the galley than hit the call button. As they say “they’re primarily there for your safety”. Personally, I don’t hit the call button on US carriers. I only ask them for a drink from my seat when they’re passing by me, even when I’m in Business and First Class. If they’re not doing a drink or meal service, then I just walk to the galley and ask them for some drinks.

If the flight departs YYC at 6:30PM, they will probably start the dinner meal service an hour after departure. So, they will most likely dim the cabin lights around 10:30PM local time in YYC. Generally, they just chill in the galley after meal service while some of them go to sleep in their private bunks.

Honestly, you’re in for a brutal awakening if you don’t sleep on that flight. If I were in your shoes, I would either drink a lot of booze before the flight and pass out on the flight OR get a prescription for something like Ambien. You’re probably arriving into Frankfurt around 9AM-11AM, so you will have a full day ahead of you. It’s best to adjust to your destination’s time zone on the plane.

9. DBear

DBear VIP Bear

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Going off topic...I've only flown biz on AC a few times domestic and to the US and have had great drink service. Actually, the best service is when I had the entire biz cabin to myself on a 320. Go figure. Had more drinks than I could remember although I was slightly miffed that I woke up only to find my drink gone. We were landing in a few minutes and they had come by to clean up the trays and drinks. If I had been awake, I would have downed it like the first 6 or 8!

But alas, I fly in the back most often. Flew WJ today and actually had more room in the back than I did originally in row 1 due to empty seats. Had the entire row to myself to read WJ's Up! which had an interesting Palm Springs golf article by VMB's own Ken2V.

10. flyguyfl

flyguyfl MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    These are wise words. You won't believe the jet lag you have that made even worse by drinking excessively.
    As for using the all button, most FA's hate that thing and would rather you ask them for any service without using it.

11. DonnyC

DonnyC VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    2 years ago I did a flight from Toronto to Rome - and didn't sleep on the plane at all as my wife wasn't feeling well and wanted to use my seat also. The plane was totally full and no other place to sit.

So I stood and played Angry Birds, stood and watched movies, stood and drank.

I just wasn't sure if my drink acquiring skills were up to where they should be. So i thought I'd get some helpful suggestions.

We are going on a cruise, but from Frankfurt we are catching another plane to city, then changing planes again to our final destination - Venice.

Once we get to Venice, on May 1 at 6:30pm, we will be staying in a hotel on the mainland - Maystray.

Then the cruise leaves on Friday. So I'm not too concerned about sleeping on the plane.

12. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I can't imagine getting potted on a flight, dealing with the time changes and the stuff on the back end, the hangover, etc. I'm not much of a plane sleeper either, only getting some winks here/there when we fly long haul to the antipodes, but the bottle offers me no solace or interest. Now the next night ... lol We all roll differently.

Hey, thanks for the call out, DB. :beer:

13. sweetcanadian

sweetcanadian High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I agree with both these people's points.

Arriving drunk in a foreign country with a full day ahead of you does not seem the wisest move. You would have been up for a full day here and not wanting to sleep away your first full day there.

When we went to vegas there was a row of 20 somethings, one couple and then another guy heavily drinking and it seemed every 5 minutes they pushed the call button. They kept one flight attendant at their disposal the whole flight, i think they thought she was their personal waitress. She had barely walked away when they pressed it again because someone else had finished a drink or wanted a snack. They never figured out to order everything at once so she could help others. It was annoying to the rest of us to hear that button going off so i would suggest getting up and going to them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.