1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Where are the Vegas Millenials on the board?

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by Snowbelle3, Apr 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sco5123

sco5123 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What are you up to in Vegas? Do the current strategies in Vegas to cater to our demographic match your interests?

2. dfalk

dfalk VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Lots of drinking, gamlbing, strip clubs, and a show here and there.

I don't know what this means.

3. sco5123

sco5123 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As is often mentioned on the board, the town is "catering" to our demographic through nightclubs, dayclubs, bottle service, etc and generally straying away from the gambling side of things. With this focus, are they personally catering to your own interests?

4. dfalk

dfalk VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I could care less about night/dayclub and $1000 bottles. As long as there is plenty of Miller Lite, a BJ table and some slots I'll always love Vegas.

5. Toast2

Toast2 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah, im more into the free drinks and cheap gambling downtown than all the clubs (frat parties)

6. BayouBengal

BayouBengal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I fall on the older side of the millennial definition but I feel that I was influenced more by my sister and cousin who are both solidly Gen X being born in the early to mid 70s. Plus I visited Vegas as a child when I was about 11 or 12. The city fascinated me and I had been begging my parents to take me there since I was about 8 because I saw their pictures from the then brand new Mirage. They even bought me a JoB handheld game and I had the Vegas Stakes video game on the Super Nintendo. So perhaps I'm skewed to be nostalgic for old school gambling Vegas. I love having nice places like Aria and Cosmo, but I also enjoy a good craps or blackjack table.

Night clubs similar to Marquee, Haze, Hyde, etc... aren't really a big thing where I grew up which was a city of about 150,000. Not a small town but not exactly a major metro. But even once I went to college, upscale clubs with bottle service weren't a thing. Even if you were living on mom and dad's dime, it was about getting drunk as economically possible which meant kegs of Natty, hitting up $1 longneck night, etc. $400 for a bottle of liquor? That's 5 kegs of Natty! The college bars would play Top 40 and hip hop if it wasn't a live music venue. It just wasn't a part of the culture I guess.

Now I live in one of the largest cities in the US. I have friends and acquaintances that are a couple of years younger than me whom are really into the EDC scene and would be much more likely to run up a massive tab at a Dayclub. They grew up here and the city has a rivalry with a city that has a reputation for upscale clubs and $30k-millionaires.

7. ChairmanMeow

ChairmanMeow Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've never been to a vegas club and haven't been to a vegas pool since I was a kid so they are of no interest to me... I just want to gamble!

8. Wolfman619

Wolfman619 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    God, I hate the term "millenial" and the bullsh!t that comes with it, even though I fall into that age group by whoever decided it.

Anyhow, I think I do pretty much what anyone else does in Vegas, I go to blow off steam, get good eats and drink. I don't think I gamble as much as the "older folks" do, but that's probably only because I don't have the disposable income they have. Clubs? Pools? I've been a few times, and always had fun. It's not my main focus though. I prefer staying downtown over the strip, and am choosy about my gambling odds. I doubt I fit the model.:Þ

9. KBT2012

KBT2012 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Gamble a lot and eat really well. Millenial......I'm 24 with an upper management job and not a sense of entitlement, I wish that qualified as a means to not be called a millenial.

10. OhioStateAlum

OhioStateAlum High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I love Vegas and it is by far my favorite vacation spot. The nightclub/dayclub scene isn't for me. However, I do enjoy the younger vibe a popular club can give a property. The eye candy is nice to look at too, but I still have no desire to ever set foot in a club. My trips focus pretty much exclusively on pool time and gaming.

My typical day in Vegas goes something like this:
    830/9a: wake up, grab a quick breakfast sandwich
    10a through 3/4p: hang out by the pool and drink a ton
    5p: grab dinner somewhere laid back where I can drink and people watch (like the PBR Rock bar in front of PH)
    Then the rest of the night is just gambling and drinking until about 1a. Usually end the night at a bar/pub until 3am or so and repeat the next day.

To me the appeal of Vegas is the weather, the "who gives a fuck, we're in VEGAS" attitude that seemingly consumes everyone there, and the ability to explore and gamble in dozens of massive and unique properties with a beer in hand the whole way.

11. tipdrill

tipdrill Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would definitely agree. Just look at the music selection at most top tier LV clubs. Major clubs are playing majority EDM. Personally, I'm 24 and I definitely prefer hiphop/rap for the club scene. Not huge on EDM.

However, my LV interests are Poker, sports betting, nightclubs/dayclubs, good food, Rhino in that order.

12. phade

phade Keeping tabs on LV while not there...

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't know why we were dubbed millennials...we already had a name in my opinion - Gen Y. Apparently they are one in the same. At 32, I'm the old fart in the group. I'm also married w/kids.

On the other hand, I'm also well-educated and well-paid for my counterparts in my area (of residence). Entitlement be damned, however, as I have three teams full of almost all later-born millenials under my watch. I think the entitlement began with those born 1990 and later based on my experiences. When it is in full-force, it's "rack your head against a wall" in amazement.

My wife and I like to go there to relax now. When I first went, it was the prototypical drink, party, gamble, drink some more, sexy time, crash, repeat.

Apart from the nightclub/bottle service and EDM, I don't think this is generational. I think it's merely age related. At 32, my ideal night wouldn't be dealing with the oomph oomph oomph crowd. A good bar/lounge and a nice meal at night with some gaming mixed in...daytime is relaxing pace. Doing whatever we want.

13. GreatGamblino

GreatGamblino Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Another 32-year-old "Millennial" here. I usually go to Vegas solo or with my husband (35). In both scenarios, the focus of the trip is gambling. We recently started adding good food/restaurants to the mix and find that enjoyable. I also really love a good spa day. Neither of us has ever been trendy enough to check out the happening nightclubs, and now we're just too tired anyway (we have a young toddler).

For us, Vegas is about indulging. I relish those brief respites from the usual day-to-day, where I can gamble, enjoy good food and drinks, be pampered at the spa, and soak up that "I'm on vacation!" atmosphere that Vegas exudes.

14. dvandentop

dvandentop VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    32 here and go for the slots and dining and nice hotels. A show maybe ever 2 trips. Enjoy just walking the strip also

15. sweetcanadian

sweetcanadian High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    All this talk about Millenials is really starting to make me feel old. I am a gen x and my husband is a millenial. I am hitting "middle age" in a couple months. I will now have to click a new age category on surveys and this one has me freaking out, almost as bad as when i turned 25. That hit me harder than 30 because now i was 1/4 of a century. Now add 10 more years.......i think 40 will be tough too.

Anyways, to get back to the question at hand, to be honest, i think it just has to do with where someone is in life.

My official title for my day job is Business Services Manager because my job is so much more than just a manager and i have 2 different businesses under me and i am married, own a home, have a teenager and a dog. With that as my life i really have no interest in a club. I do like to drink, and i do like to dance. I do not have enough disposable income to justify spending it in a club. If i did i would probably only go on special occasions.

I much prefer the outside live band experience that i got by watching Arena on the main stage. Much more entertainment value i think, and i got to bring my own drinks lol.

16. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    "Catering to" and "marketing to" are not the same thing. For however they look in the current iteration, all the Vegas tourism ads always have featured what likely can be considered a important but not dominant sector of the overall demographic. I'd not read much into it. As is coming out in another thread, every iteration of Vegas seems to be alive and well, despite how totally and illogically wound up some folks here are getting over expensive bottles and house music of which no one is making them partake.

I'm supposedly a boomer. A late boomer. Never remotely felt a connection to that post-war/prosperity years cohort whatsoever.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2014
  17. FountainFiend

FountainFiend Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm 28, and so would be called a millenial. Almost nothing that is supposed to appeal to my demographic in Las Vegas appeals to me.

I, actually, had no interest in going to Las Vegas the first time I went. It was my wife's favorite vacation place since she was a child (she has been 20+ times as her parents are big Vegas fans, and she grew up when Las Vegas was catering to families). She wanted to take me for a Valentine's day. I ended up really enjoying it.

My other vacation spots have always been New York City, or Paris, or San Fransisco. Places with lots of arts/culture/dining. I actually found that I could eat and drink all day in Las Vegas for less money and with less money spent on my hotel. That combined with a new love for gambling and the ability to drink throughout the day without any judgy people at hotel bars giving us bad looks, made for a really compelling vacation.

Last year, we spend our main vacation in France for a few weeks, and to be honest, I just wanted to be back in Las Vegas. Although, it made me feel like I might be a bit of a degenerate, there is something about Las Vegas that makes me feel like I can literally do whatever I want, whenever I want, and I don't have to worry about it. That is the exact opposite of how I feel everyday, as my office has gossip about when people come and go from work and what they do all day. I just want to feel free for a time... I get that from Las Vegas.

As to wasting my money in clubs... No interest. I prefer to waste my money pretending that I am James Bond in Diamonds are Forever at a craps table.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.