1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Buffet service Question?

Discussion in 'Restaurants & Buffets' started by sm2420, Apr 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sm2420

sm2420 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't usually go to the high end buffets because I find them too expensive...
    In March we went to the Bellagio ( thanks to Myvegas reward ) we really enjoyed the food, but our server was just awful. After bringing our first drink that was it for him, had to flag him down for refill, to take away plates...
    I noticed that the table near to us was receiving excellent service, the waiter kept bringing them drink after drink, and it was the same waiter, wow.

Do the servers know who is comped, and therefore ignore them???
    Needless to say even though the food was quite good, we left Bellagio with a bad taste in our mouth. :thumbsdown:

2. BayouBengal

BayouBengal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    They can look at your receipt and tell. But they get paid the same regardless so it shouldn't matter in the end.

3. seviay

seviay High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Maybe that waiter had a big group, or maybe the waiter had had bad luck with myVegas folks giving poor tips, so he hedged his bets? I had an experience like yours at the MGM a few years back where our waiter never cleared a single plate, nor brought us a refill, so I left $0 tip; that's the only time in my life I have never left a tip, but he didn't deserve a dime. If you enjoyed the experience and the food other than the server, I wouldn't let that taint your overall view of the buffet. Maybe let your feelings be known to management and/or leave little to no tip, but other than that, just chalk it up to a bad apple

4. Morpheus7272

Morpheus7272 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Before I had made my first trip using MyVegas rewards, I heard rumblings about bad service to myVegas diners, and when we went to NYNY to use the credit at Nine Fine Irishmen, I asked the bartender about it, and he did say that he had seen some of that. How often comped diners don't tip is certainly open to interpretation, but we did mention that even though we had the myVegas credit, we'd take care of the staff. Our service was fine, and we tipped well on what the total bill would have been.

5. Auggie

Auggie Dovahkiin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't think comp or not had much of anything to do with it but what can really affect the service you receive is if you are ordering alcohol or not - they seem to come around pretty often if you are ordering drinks.

If you are a pop drinker and drink alot during dinner and have another person or more at the table drinking the same thing you can ask them to bring you a pitcher

6. sm2420

sm2420 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That's a good idea, maybe next time I will tip in advance to get good service.

Does anyone do this (advance tip) and what was the outcome ?

7. WHIVGOYTUBE

WHIVGOYTUBE MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Tipping in advance = they got your money now, so why bother with you (unless they think your will tip afterwards too)? :evillaugh

They will then focus their attention on the people that have not tipped yet, not you!

8. WHIVGOYTUBE

WHIVGOYTUBE MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yup, the waiter created a self fulfilling prophecy.... MyVegas customer's do not tip well, so give them crappy service. The MyVegas customer receives poor service and leaves a crappy tip...... Waiter see's another MyVegas customer ==> Repeat Loop. Dum Asses :Þ

9. leo21

leo21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Servers will invent all kinds of reasons to justify discriminating against customers with poor service and can't connect the dots that their poor service contributed to their poor tip. I had something like the OP described happen to me. I never saw that waitress again after we reported her to management.

10. paperposter

paperposter MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    alot people eat in vegas on comps all over, in fact if eat on a comp i tip more.
    the servers make there money on tips.

i think there more worried about foriegners who arent used to tipping and they get pissed when they get stiffed.

11. sm2420

sm2420 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What annoys me even more, is that I still left him a tip. And did not say anything.

BIG mistake, never again! :grrr:

12. CJ's

CJ's Plumbing the depths of debauchery

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I had shitty service from a server in the B too once, sounds like the same guy misserable cuss. and I had comped myself with EC's. Made sure i didnt sit in his area again :poke:
    However, There was a particular lady, mid fifty's absolutley top notch service. she even remembered me a week later with a smile and knew what i wanted before i asked.
    So you can get assholes anywhere I guess it's kinda the luck of the draw :rolleyes2:

13. WHIVGOYTUBE

WHIVGOYTUBE MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Always Report to MGT. If the person had an off day, OK. But if a pattern develops, MGT will see it, unless no one reports it.

MGT understands that not all people are capable of working the front lines (Customer end), and if that is the case for a particular waiter, they usually offer a position back end behind the line (if the employee accepts).

MGT knows that not all front end people can handle the Drunk, Cranky, Demanding people on the front end.

BUT IF PEOPLE never report it, what is MGT to do about it. :whistle:

14. hedgehog

hedgehog Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If tipping in advance, tear the bill in half giving your server one side. Then if the service is terrible rip it up into powder and sprinkle it on the left overs

15. chef

chef Resident Buffetologist

My experience has been that lower-priced buffets generally offer better waitstaff service than places like Bellagio and Wynn. And, I base that on at least 250 trips to various Vegas buffets

16. lotso-bear

lotso-bear VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    +1 which is why Miami instituted a mandatory service charge due to foreign tourists.

17. Hey guys, I'm just about to claim my rewards from MyVegas and I have enough for 3 lunch buffets at the Bellagio (where I happen to be staying anyway). Can I use my points to claim 3 of the SAME reward or do I have to mix it up??

Thanks

18. lollyb

lollyb Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Check the T&Cs, rewards are usually limited to one per person per visit. But you could redeem both a lunch and dinner buffet at the B, since they're separate reward options.

19. WHIVGOYTUBE

WHIVGOYTUBE MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That will piss them off (for anyone that has ever waited on tables, waiters feel they are in control) getting one half up front, and give you crappy service. They think they have won, but you get the last laugh, when they see the sprinkles on the left overs. That will really piss them off!

Just be sure you leave the one half, AFTER the food is served to you.

Very well done, I love it! :nworthy:

20. Googleboots

Googleboots Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Forgive my noobilty, but I don't understand this method. You tear the paper receipt in half? What does this accomplish?

Thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.