1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

38 mil gallons of water dumped

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Joe, Apr 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is just a head scratcher to me. First, how do you store clean water in an open reservoir? From there it goes right to consumers. Second, you dump 38 million gallons, because one guy took a pee in it. How many birds flying overhead poop in it?

PORTLAND, Oregon (Reuters) – Portland, Oregon is flushing 38 million gallons (143 million liters) of drinking water down the drain because a 19-year-old man urinated in an open reservoir early on Wednesday morning, city water officials said.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/04/16/portland-flushes-38-million-gallon-water-reservoir-after-man-urinates-in-it/

2. Wolfman619

Wolfman619 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My guess is that they are uncertain as to whether the guy was only pissing in the water. Maybe the guy who was trespassing claimed he peed in the water, when he may have done something far more devious. Not playing conspiracy theorist, but with a security breach that can affect millions, you can't be too safe.

It sucks though. California could certainly use some of that water.

3. marcianofan

marcianofan High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It was caught on camera, he was pissing and nothing more. No conspiracy. The same thing happened last year and they emptied the water then also, and the idiot who did it got off with a very small fine. The Feds are making portland put a cover on the open reservoirs, which is one of many, many reasons portland has one of the five highest water/sewer rates in the country, even with all the rain and snow melt off mt hood. There's going to be a ballot measure next month to try to take the water bureau private for portlanders.

4. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Marcianofan, wasn't there also some similar lunacy with Bull Run some number of years ago, even though those are pre-treatment impoundments?

5. bardolator

bardolator Lifelong Low Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We'd all be in big trouble if they started watching fishing boats.

What could be that dangerous but still be able to pass through a person without killing him? If they want to be ridiculously safe, bring the dude in, make him pee, and test it for whatever toxins. Then fine him 500 bucks plus the cost of the test.

6. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Welcome to the United States of Mollycoddle!!

7. marcianofan

marcianofan High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not sure about that, there's been some problems thru the years like most places I guess. Portlands main problem with water bureau is the elected officials were raiding the water fund and raising rates big time to pay for pet projects that had absolutely nothing to do with water or sewer. Finally last year we got a new water chief but they still want to raise rates a lot. There's also a lawsuit going against the city of portland and the water bureau. On a last note, portland politicians like to really brag about how great the water is, but that was also before the idiots started peeing in it.....

8. Auggie

Auggie Dovahkiin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thirty eight million gallons... that sounds like a lot of water, and it is... but to put it in perspective that amount of water only represents about 25% of the water used in a single day in the Portland metropolitan area.

9. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Maybe I'm thinking of something back when I was still living there, but that seems too long ago.

I remember a study or what not years and years ago that rated Portland's vaunted Bull Run Watershed one of the least desirable municipal supplies in the nation in terms of taste and purity. Just cause it rains a lot …

10. dvandentop

dvandentop VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Too bad they cant just refilter it through the system again somehow

11. symbols

symbols Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is not the first time this has happened in Portland.

Back in 2011,
    It cost Portland over $36,000.

The issue with uncovered reservoir that comes up asks why do we let everything from bird droppings to dead animals in but flush down urine?

More than once Portland has challenged the Safe Drinking Water Act which mandates these type of reservoirs need to be covered. I believe a couple years back they were granted an extension to leave them uncovered through 2020.

12. symbols

symbols Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I believe in 2011 it was for 8 million gallons.

13. DeMoN2318

DeMoN2318 The DERS

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Poor engineering if you ask me...put an in-line filter (or multiple) in the outlet...problem solved.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.