1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Yusho Now Open - Hooray!

Discussion in 'Restaurants & Buffets' started by PopMegaphone, Apr 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PopMegaphone

PopMegaphone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have some good news for Vegas diners looking for something a little different. Yusho at Monte Carlo is now open according to eater. This is an outpost of the Chicago restaurant, which I love. The restaurant is features funky japanese style grilled street food and noodles by Matthias Merges, the former executive chef at the famed Charlie Trotter's fine dining restaurant. More good news - Merges is bringing in his Chicago sous chef to Vegas so I expect the real deal. You can checkout the menu here.

I notice they leave off more challenging menu choices on the Chicago menu like beef tongue and replaced it with steak, but most dishes like the "poser ramen" and "2x friend chicken" are still there.

Another great aspect to Yusho is they feature an excellent beverage program. I particularly enjoy their cocktail program. They even feature cocktails on draft!

I haven't been to the Vegas location yet, but if you're looking for something fun and a little different I highly recommend Yusho.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2014
  2. vegas_or_bust

vegas_or_bust High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sounds like an interesting joint. Is this a lunch place, a dinner spot, or a grab some food on the go type of restaurant?

3. PopMegaphone

PopMegaphone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Here's their hours on open table:

I suggest dining in for the full experience. The food is casual, but refined and well presented. It's a small plates concept so expect to order more than one item on the menu. I found a review with pictures here.

4. PopMegaphone

PopMegaphone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
  5. thecarve

thecarve Misanthrope

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What's the story with cocktails on draft?

Forgive my ignorance, but when I hear "draft cocktails", I feel like I'm about to be asked if I want my drink in a guitar, football or Eiffel Tower. Tell me what I'm missing.

6. FountainFiend

FountainFiend Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's a recent trend of craft cocktails pre-mixed and often carbonated to make a craft carbonated cocktail.

Yusho has a sister bar in Chicago called Billy Sunday who has a few of these on draft (still haven't made it to Yusho as the wife doesn't like asian food). It's also caught on in a few other trendy bars. It makes for fast/more casual presentation of high end cocktails.

I'd say that it is like many things... Similar idea at the very basic level to a margarita slushy machine but completely elevated.

7. PopMegaphone

PopMegaphone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Cocktails in a keg. Pull the lever and out it comes:

[​IMG]

Kegs allow flavors and carbonation to blend a bit better, which can change the taste of the drink. It's also a way to avoid sloppy bartenders who don't do a good job of balancing their drinks.

8. thecarve

thecarve Misanthrope

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the explanations, guys.

9. PopMegaphone

PopMegaphone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A great review from John Curtis: http://www.eatinglv.com/2014/04/you-should-go-to-yusho/

Here's a quote:

And more:

10. lotso-bear

lotso-bear VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Interesting. Nice to see the MC offer some interesting dining options. Always tempted to stay here so I can get comped better for my play compared to Aria.

11. JB in MN

JB in MN Low-Roller

This place is absolutely fantastic - DW and I ate there last Thursday night and here's my quick review.

Full menu is listed here: http://www.yusholv.com/food-drink/

We sat at a table outdoors, at first close by the host stand but then at our request we were moved out near the street after one of those four tables cleared.

Started with the special spring greens (ramps), then fresh oysters with crispy shallots. Sorry I don't remember the details (and the specials are not on the menu) but both immediately wowed us and set the tone for things to come.

Followed with housemade pickles, octopus, tofu steak, and maitake mushroom. DW couldn't stop raving about the octopus; it was the best tofu I've ever had, I would recommend this to anyone who says they don't like tofu; the maitake mushroom was so good I immediately ordered a second. Pickles had a wonderful low-level heat from the ginger and I could have eaten a quart of them.

Next up, logan poser ramen and duck leg. The ramen was an absolute delight and the egg put it into over the top territory; DW didn't care for the duck as much as I did, I wanted to pick up the bone and gnaw on it but held back from doing so.

Tried both desserts, and I'm glad I can say I've had a tofu doughnut but the soft serve was the better of the two.

We started with standard cocktails (martini and negroni), I sampled chuhai cocktail, it would be fantastic on a hot day but overall too sweet for my palate. The server did an excellent job bringing us two different sakes - I know nothing about sake and left the choices to her discretion.

Service was excellent, I got the vibe there was extensive training for everyone and it showed - very well informed staff happy to answer any/all questions.

Yusho exceeded my expectations by a mile (expectations were low/wasn't sure what to expect) and I'd go there again, and recommend it to others, in a heartbeat.

Having said that - I don't think the place will last. It was practically empty the entire time we were there and I witnessed more people walk up to the menu stand/host stand and leave than sit down. The restaurant just doesn't fit for the location, it needs to be in Cosmo or Aria. The crowd going in and out of MC and milling about that part of the strip seem more interested in the new Roadhouse place or Diablo's. I don't know that Yusho can pull off being a destination spot. Hope I'm wrong, because (to reiterate the above) the staff was educated and accommodating, the food and drink excellent, and I'm not aware of any cuisine of similar flavors on the strip.

--JB

BTW I used the $50 MV MC dining reward and had zero issues doing so.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2014
  12. ah6tyfour

ah6tyfour High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the review! I have been wanting to try this place, but have not gotten around to doing so yet. It's such a significant opening and all the food critics are calling it the most unique food to ever arrive in LV.

But I do agree with you about it not lasting. I have walked by the area 3-4 times since it opened and often looked in with worry as the restaurant was always entirely empty (well, almost, usually just a single 2-top in use). It really is in the wrong place. It needs to take over the China Poblano space at Cosmo. The clientele at Monte Carlo just isn't the kind to be enticed by that menu or know that this is a place famous in Chicago.

13. Kickin

Kickin Flea

This is cool I didn't even know a new Japanese restaurant was opening at MC, much less a yakitori style place. I can't speak for the clientele at that hotel but it should be pretty familiar type food to most. If not they should add tonkatsu to their fried menu, that'll sell like crazy in Vegas.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.