1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Do you ever feel like you bring too much bankroll?

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by NYPoker, Apr 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NYPoker

NYPoker Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Each time I've been to Vegas I bring about $500 a day for gambling only. The first time I brought $500 for an overnighter, last trip I brought $3,000 for a week trip and this time I'm bringing $1,500 for 3 1/2 days. I never use the full amount, usually because I run out of time to gamble. Each trip I feel like I take too much money but am too nervous to bring less. Does anyone else feel like they bring too much money with them?

2. kps

kps High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I do the same thing but my daily bankroll is for everything..gamble, drinks, shows, clubs, pools, dinners, etc. which explains why I am a low roller and more about the entertainment. I've come back with money and at times left with all the cash used I set up for.

That's your comfort zone/bankroll. The fact you never use the full amount is a win in my book. Nothing wrong with the way you are doing it.

3. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    NEVER!:poke:

4. KBT2012

KBT2012 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not really, I take x amount that is planned as a gambling budget per day. However, I use that bankroll for every expense and keep my credit cards locked in the room at all times - I actually only bring them to check in and for emergencies (getting robbed, go on a drunk degen session, etc.).

5. vegasvette

vegasvette High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I carefully budget my bankroll. I break it down to the type of expenditure (food, car, misc, shows, golf, gambling), and further break it down for each day. I then put away the daily amount I didn't spend, allowing me to bring home money from each trip.

Sometimes I blow through the entire daily allotment, but most days, there is something left over as a result of a winning session.

That's the other trick I use. Whenever I win at a table game, I separate the winnings from the buy in and bank it, so I bring it home. Same thing with slot play. If I have a decent winner, I bank that as well, so I bring it home. It's funny how $50 here and there accumulates over an entire trip.

This style isn't for everyone, but being a beancounter by trade, it sure is easy and works for me.

6. Fafa2e

Fafa2e High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I use the daily envelope system and bring my bankroll for each day. I hope that I don't use all of my daily bankroll and come back with money in the envelopes.

I prefer to have more bankroll than I plan to use so that I don't have to hit the ATM (or the Devil :wink2: as I like to call them)

My Longest Trip Ever
  7. jackincols

jackincols Guest

"Do you ever feel like you bring too much bankroll?"

Only time I questioned that was on my very first trip. A 1977 gambling junket out of Columbus, Oh I had no business being on because I had no track record in Vegas. Minimum for 3 days/2 nights was $600 and that was what I brought. Wondered if it was too much?:confused2:

Over the years, before I retired, I took out as much as 1k a day for gambling. How times have changed.

8. DeMoN2318

DeMoN2318 The DERS

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Too much? hmmm...interesting question. Usually it's " I didnt bring enough"

I do $500 a day, and I will say the first night I have "too much" since its only a few hours...usually arrive around 10pm so 4-5 hours of gambling the first night. but then the subsequent days I feel it is too little since it a whole day of gambling...a poor session in the AM really puts a damper on the evening sessions.

BUT when I first started going to Vegas I would bring 200 a day and play penny slots, then I bumped up my BR to 500 a day and moved to dollar slots...soooo I guess my bankroll IS too much per day since it caused me to change to a higher denom game...

Interesting questions though...

9. Malibugolfer

Malibugolfer High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've been going for so long and often enough that I bring an amount that will be commensurate with my play.
    I don't get how anyone can come to Vegas for 10 days or 2 weeks and gamble though. That would be hard unless one won a lottery.

10. GottaLuvCruising

GottaLuvCruising High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Only after I get home without it! ;)

I actually use the previously mentioned envelope system. I try not to borrow from one day to another (defeats the whole point) and usually bring some funds home...sometimes even more than I took in the first place. But I always have fun and can't regret that.

11. tipdrill

tipdrill Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    OP, as another poker player, I'd say no. $3000 lasted one week? That's impressive. You crush 1-3?

12. grosx2

grosx2 Have fun storming the castle!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If I ran out of money, I would probably feel like I didn't take ENOUGH of a bankroll. I'm not sure how one would feel like they took too much, unless they got home and couldn't pay the bills or something. In which case that person should probably abstain from Vegas until they take a class on money management or something.

13. VegasChic-

VegasChic- VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not anymore!

20 years ago I had gone on a gambling junket and the machines were BRUTAL, lost everything in literally hours, but was stuck on a 3 day trip. Pooled resources and managed to get some more $$ and luckily, managed to slowly and carefully claw our way back to fill up the 3 days.....it was an AWFUL feeling! Young and not a lot of resources!

Now when I go I base my bet size on how many spins I have with my bankroll to hopefully hit something to float through the day. The machines are so volatile, there's just no way to ensure enough playtime. I don't expect to win with my bankroll, but I hope to fill the time.

My last 2 trips illustrated this.....1st one was lots of tito's to play through....play 100 win 600....lose 200....then win 100. The next trip though I didn't get anything worth cashing out, but would let me play a wee bit. The only thing that saved us was a Handpay part way through the trip.

I panic at the thought of that trip 20 years ago....still haunts me!!!

Thankfully, I've not hit any bank machines and both cases came home with some money, less than what I left with! I'm okay with that!

14. Kobra2848

Kobra2848 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Last trip I tried the envelope tip. We went for 5 nights and I had 3 envelopes with $2500 each. I only ended up opening one of the envelopes the whole time there. Whenever I cash a tito or cash chips at the cage and I receive hundred dollar bills they go in my wallet until I get home. Last trip the flight back was a little uncomfortable sitting on my wallet and when I counted at home I had 31 hundred bills in my wallet. The best part was when I got my credit card statement and only had one charge for the Wicked Spoon.

Mark

15. Big Tip

Big Tip VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I take a lot more than I would want to lose. It's a psychological thing for me. I might lose a 1/3 of what I took, but I can say, "Hey, it's only a 1/3 of what I took." Even though that 1/3 is a significant amount.
    I hate being in Las Vegas playing with scared money. I like a cushion.

16. NYPoker

NYPoker Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I wish I could say I got to play a lot of poker but sadly I did not and probably will not this time, just a couple tournaments and maybe a session of 1/2 nl. I just can't find the time while I'm there, just too much to do and I play enough at home that I don't "need" to play in Vegas.

17. Bossplayer21

Bossplayer21 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is exactly how I feel.

If I brought $1000 and lost every single penny I would be dejected and depressed. But If I brought $2000 with me, hey I only lost half my bankroll, could be worse.

Purely psychological

18. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I find myself bringing more and though I still don't play more than 2-4 hours in the evenings, that used to be 1-2 hours and I've systematically moved up in denomination. I play at the $1 VP and Slot level, where that used to be .25 and .50 Why? I wanna win something good!!!

19. LV_Bound

LV_Bound VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Bring too much money???
    Are you trolling??:wink2:

Why not ask if you ever feel like you drink too much?? Oh wait, that would be true for me. :eek:

How about do you feel like you have too much sex in Vegas. Yeah, i wish.:cry:

20. sco5123

sco5123 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes I have felt like that once.

So I lowered my bankroll.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.