1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Vegas Judgment From Others

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by RWDPeanut, Mar 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RWDPeanut

RWDPeanut Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I know this topic has been rehashed several times, I just need to vent before I punch a co-worker...

Returned home from my March Madness trip with the guys, and already have my June trip planned with the wife! While 95% of my friends and family are Vegas junkies like me, I am already hearing it from co-workers. This is why I try to stay as private as possible!!

"You're already going back in 3 months, you must be rich, I don't have that kind of money"

"I would rather go to Mexico and relax."

"Doesn't it get boring? I couldn't handle going more than once every 5 years."

"I read an article that crime is up, you should be careful."

"Are you saving enough money for retirement and your kids college?"

No, old lady I never talk to, I withdrawal my Vegas funds from my kids Brightstart College Saving account and blow it all. :grrr:

I knew you all would understand! :thumbsup:

2. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't even bother to reply to those people. I just smile and say "different strokes for different folks" and walk away. I don't bother with nosy people or I'll tell them that the prices for air and hotel were low and so worth going now than later when it may be more expensive.

But then with the nosy people, if they go somewhere I will bug the crap out of them so they know how it feels to get the third degree and they won't bother me again. Unless they are good friends I don't give them much info unless they are looking at going and need help.

3. Turtleman

Turtleman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I usually just reply that I don't really feel like going so often, but (depending who I'm talking to):
    1) I can't help myself or
    2) I need the money

4. bjpcyclone

bjpcyclone High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My favorite is "You are so lucky, we haven't had a vacation in years and you go all of the time!"

You choose to have 5 kids while my wife and I have chosen to hold off for awhile so we CAN do things like this.

5. Persistent Cat

Persistent Cat Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I hate the scrunched up face asking, "what do you do there?"

me - "Drink and gamble, what else would we do?"

idiot - "I guess you can sit at the pool."

me - "There's a pool?"

6. TDB Aces

TDB Aces Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Many folks still frown on Las Vegas and/or gambling. I get very tired of trying to explain or justify it. I don't need anyone's approval. The bottom line is that it is no one's business.

7. Gaggles

Gaggles VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:

I am hitting the "Like" button on this one!

I Like to Drink and Gamble
  8. vegas_or_bust

vegas_or_bust High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My problem is that when coworkers come up to me and ask where I am going on vacation, I have a hard time lying. So I always tell the truth, and then I get the same reaction the OP gets.

For people that don't travel to Vegas often (or ever), they still affiliate Vegas with hardcore gambling as if there is nothing else to do. There are days when I am in Vegas and I don't gamble a single dollar. There are other days when I gamble a lot. The city has so many things to see/do/experience. That is what non-Vegas people don't realize. They think its just gambling 24/7, and they associate that with negative/irresopnsible behavior.

As the OP attested to, it's difficult not to let those people get under your skin, as I often feel pangs of embarassment/anger when people say: "Vegas again??!?! Didn't you just go there three months ago??"

9. matguy

matguy High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Feel free to use my (new) excuse:

We have family that lives in Vegas.

True or not, usually ends the negative portion of the conversation.

10. Jonnyvegas

Jonnyvegas Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My reply to all questions about my vacations..."There is no luggage rack on my hearse."

Where else can you stay in a five star hotel for ~$100/night?, so many dining options, the weather, entertainment, etc, etc.
    It really is adult Disneyland.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2014
  11. Vegaslover2

Vegaslover2 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Some people "get it" and others don't. If they want to frown on my frequent trips there then that's fine with me:thumbsup: I'll be in Vegas having the time of my life while they're sitting back judging me! :woot:

12. RWDPeanut

RWDPeanut Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think a few people alluded to it, but I think it stems from jealousy and envy, especially if you have never been to Vegas.

Around Chicago, most people assume a vacation means you go to the Wisconsin Dells or Michigan for a week with your entire family. It's hard to comprehend flying across the country to eat, drink, gamble, and overall just have a carefree time.

And let me tell you, I have spent more during a weekend trip at the Dells, than I have in 3 trips to Vegas. Decent to nice hotels are $300+ on the weekends.

13. Jake&Avery

Jake&Avery Planning my next vacation!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    None of my GF's get the pull of Vegas - everything they hate about it, the lights, the noise, the vibe, and that everything seems larger than life - I LOVE!

Yes, we take family trips, but Vegas is for me and my DH and we like it that way..

I could go and go again, and again...:evillaugh

and I love the comments..."oh, at least the food is really cheap out there...don't they have like $9.99 buffets?"...

if they only knew that we spend on food!! We enjoy going to fancy-pants dinners since we are kid-free...

that's ok - the fewer people who know how much fun Vegas is, the better.. :thumbsup:

14. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I worked at the same place for 35 years. 95% would be, oh Joe is off to Vegas again, good luck! The other 5% and their negative comments, just fu*k off.

We can afford it and we enjoy it. I can't help that you don't know how to save. Maybe try a condom and not leasing a new car every 3 years.:poke:

15. DMSCR

DMSCR High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There are many folks who doesn't get and understand Vegas. Since mostly all of them have never been there so they make judgements. They think it is some seedy place. Maybe it is maybe it isn't. It is all about what and how you make of it. For instance I can say that my work place/industry is even more seedy and corrupt compared to what you will find in Vegas.

16. LolaDoggie

LolaDoggie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've said this before and I'll say it again; usually the worst people for that type of Negative Nelly-isms are the ones who do the same thing year in, year out. They go to the cottage or they go to the condo in Florida or whatever. Yeah, I go to Vegas but it's different every time and I don't have to bring my own sheets and I've never been bitten by a mosquito there.

17. sco5123

sco5123 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Absolutely 100%. At the end of the day, who is on vacation? no ome takes your vacation for you. Let them judge you from work or from their beach somewhere...you are having a world-class vacation the way you love it. You never think about these comments when you are on your trip.

18. hattrick225

hattrick225 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Great Topic

Great topic.

I had this exact conversation at lunch today with co-worker, when I mentioned my summer vacation plans included a trip to Vegas, for the 4th year in a row. And I was left defending myself that I'm really not a low-life.

The post from vegas_or_bust sums it up perfectly for me. There's so much to see and experience, that it makes for a great vacation destination.

I've only "discovered" Vegas in the last 4 years. My trips are usually solo, and are a break in the summer from the corporate rat race. I can gamble. I can eat at any number of great restaurants. I can see a show or go to a club. I can visit places like Red Rock Canyon, Hoover Dam, or VOF. I can hang out at the pool. So much to see/do, all in close proximity to one another. No itinerary. Just whatever I feel like doing at that moment.

Vegas Vacation 2024
  19. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hell, I've had people here say, "You're going to Hawaii … AGAIN?!? WTF!?!"

Vegas is very easy to misunderstand. That's most of what you're getting. And then way too many people simply do not travel, or at least don't travel interestingly. I know some folks with more than enough $$$$ to do whatever they want but simply won't travel.

Diff strokes and too bad for them.

20. TIMSPEED

TIMSPEED Money’s on the way, with CashNetUSA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My Former boss had been burned by gambling (she squatted in Reno while her husband gambled all their money away)
    So as soon as she found out I went to Reno, from that day forward I was the spawn of Satan and she made everyday of my life miserable...
    Lucky for me I no longer work there. :wave:

To this day, a LOT of people I meet have a VERY dim view of gambling...apparently being a drug addict or alcoholic is more socially acceptable.:thumbsup:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.