1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

why should I get an Iphone?

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by sporty8705, Mar 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sporty8705

sporty8705 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My "smart" phone, the droid had broken 4 times in the past 6 months and Verizon offered me a Iphone 5 for free since my contact is almost up next month. The question is should I get one or not? I am on my phone 24/7, use it for everything, or have people had iPhones and not liked them? Just wanting opinions..

2. IAlowroller

IAlowroller Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    phone

wait a few weeks and get the new Samsung 5S, phone sounds awesome. I have the 3, waiting until I get enough points to upgrade for free, which will be soon! My wife has the 4 and loves it and has never had any problems with it and she's on it 24/7. Battery life is amazing. I'm a MAC guy but would not own a iphone, there are better things out there.

3. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My name is hammie, and I use a Blackberry q10, my first smart phone. Wife and daughters all have iPhones and think I'm nuts, but it's my life, and I'm gonna live it. Sorry, I can't help your decision, I just had to have a physical key board. End of confession.

4. gpenguins67

gpenguins67 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have both an iPhone 5s (work phone) and a Galaxy s4 (personal phone)

I prefer the android phone over the iPhone: Bigger screen, better resolution/HD screen. faster processor, no major software issues. A removable battery (I take a spare battery with me when I go to vegas so I can swap them out)

I'm not saying the iPhone is a bad phone, but I don't think it lives up to the hype and following it gets. Battery life isn't that great if you are on it a lot. The new software has had numerous problems from the get go and several software updates to correct them. Plus I'm not really a big fan of apple and how they make you do everything their way unless you jailbreak it and void your warranty.
    The plus side of apple: 1 year manufacturers warranty where they cover any defects even without apple care or 3rd party insurance(but going to the apple store can be an absolute nightmare). The touchscreen keyboard is pretty responsive even though its smaller than the android screens.

5. JosieCat

JosieCat VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When I was looking, the people at T-Mobile actually discouraged me from just ordering an iPhone. They encouraged me to go to the store and see the phones. Said they had quite a few people who weren't happy with them. I got the Samsung Galaxy 4S. Love it!

6. Vegaslover2

Vegaslover2 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I guess I'm in the minority so far on this thread because I absolutely love my iphone. I'm on it for everything all the time and never have a problem with it. To each his own but I love my iphone!! :peace:

7. zamboni

zamboni VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well, I am in the other camp. I had an iPhone 4S got rid of it for a Samsung Galaxy S3 and hated that and went back to an iPhone 5. Biggest reason- I really missed having my iPod on my phone. With the bigger screen also comes a much bigger phone. I don't need a phone that wont fit in my pocket.

8. sporty8705

sporty8705 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Now my biggest issue with my droid 4 is that there is no removeable battery.. i know NOTHING about apple products or iPhones but does that have a removeable battery? What can I do with an iPhone that i cant with a droid..?

9. GottaLuvCruising

GottaLuvCruising High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My son works for Verizon and hates the iphones (with a passion). We all have androids.

10. lithium78

lithium78 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There are basically two reason to choose an iPhone:

1. You can earn loyalty points on the MyVegas mobile game for leveling up and you can't do that on Android, because Google are being ******s about it.

2. Teenagers will all think you are cool.

Reason #1 is much more compelling.

11. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is one of those Ginger/Mary Ann, filet/ribeye questions. And you're going to have to answer it for yourself.

Apple is Apple. It's not an understanding thing. You're just an Apple person or you are not. I have no clue why my iPhone is better than everything else, it just is. I don't know why my first iPhone was better than anything else in the market at that time. It just was.

I'm comfortable with it, it does everything I want, and well. It likes my laptop. It likes my wife's iPhone. It likes our Nano. It likes our iPad. It apparently likes something called the Cloud. I'm sure the Pope is an Apple guy.

Putin likes Blackberry, I'm told. Or maybe it's Android.

Some people are Nash Rambler people. Not that there is anything wrong with that.

;)

12. Hogman

Hogman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I really like my iphone5. This is my 2nd one had iphone3gs before. I can not compare it to anything else. The only complaint that I have is poor reception. But I think that is more at&t than the phone.

13. thecarve

thecarve Misanthrope

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I like my iPhone 5s 'cause it's easy peasy and I'm not tech savvy. Also, it isn't the size of a laptop like some of those others. (Have cargo pants made a comeback or do people just not put those things in their pockets?)

14. gpenguins67

gpenguins67 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No removable battery on the iPhone. Although that seems to be getting more common with android phones now, but Samsung has not jumped on that bandwagon as of yet.
    I really don't see anything special that an iPhone can do that an android cannot.
    I work part time for a cell phone store so I have a bit of experience with both devices. Here is some things I have seen in the past.
    - People get used to a type of phone / software and it can be hard at times to switch to the other b/c they are so used where buttons are / how things are setup, etc etc. An android person who switches to an iPhone hates it b/c things aren't where they want it to be b/c they are used to android software( and vice versa).
    - some people have an absolute hatred towards android phones b/c the phone is slow or the battery life is bad, blah blah blah. Well a couple things here......
    a) they got the cheap/free phone--- great no money out of pocket but you already got an outdated device. the software and apps have developed and evolved so much the last few years that if you don't have at least a dual core processor in your phone your phone is gonna lag. and even with a dual core , you really need to be at the 1.5 ghz or better.
    b) software- yes companies put out software that they find issues with... and it sucks, but apple did too. I had a number of people come in with their iphones that got completely wiped with a couple of those first iOS7 software upgrades.
    c) battery life- Samsung did have a bad batch of batteries and they did replace them for people even if the phones were out of warranty. Bad battery and you're out of warranty... big deal.... go on eBay and you will find an oem battery for under 10 bucks.
    d) more on battery life- people think androids have poor battery life b/c they had an android 5 years ago and those had horrible battery life. The new batteries have much more battery life then before without being much larger than they used to be. The current android software is also much better on battery life than before..... the first few versions of android used to be a pig on the battery and it kept apps open and drained the battery. In my experience, 9 out of 10 customers who come in and complain about battery life or software issues have installed a battery saver app that actually causes more harm and ends up interfering with the built in task and battery managers.
    Before you decide on a phone, spend some time at the store and mess around with them (most stores will have live demo versions of the newer phones). See what feels better for you, faster, better camera, and has what you like. Don't always listen to everything the sales person is saying. They might be directing you to a certain phone b/c they are getting a spiff or higher commission for selling one phone over another.

15. 9wishes

9wishes Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am very happy with my my iPhone 4. Getting a 5 for $100 as my regularly scheduled upgrade. Going to use the old 4 as an iPod. Reason I like the iPhone is it's my hotspot for internet. I connect my windows 8 laptop and ipad 3 with the phone via tether, wifi or Bluetooth so I have internet anywhere. Also absolutely everything I use or need is synced between them automatically. Notes, contacts, documents, bookmarks. All the same on all three automatically. I love idiot proof stuff. They aren't perfect, but great for what I need.

16. sporty8705

sporty8705 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think I am going to get it, since it is an iPhone 5C whatever that means and i cant get it until tomorrow, but since my android crapped out in Vegas on Tuesday, they sent the android replacement to my house, so I will have both and I will see how they work and if i like the iPhone and if not, I still have my android..
    ahah thanks guys

17. Julie888

Julie888 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm likely switching from Android HTC to iPhone 5 S because

- size and weight
    - sync with iPad
    - unlock with thumbprint technology

I am concerned about battery life.

Too bad they cost so much vs Android

18. wpete

wpete High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My wife and I were Iphone people. We changed over to the Samsung Galaxy
    S4 active (waterproof) and like them very much. I really like being able to load apps/music without having to use ITunes or typing my password for downloads over and over again. The other great thing about the Samsung is the ability to drop an micro-sd card in it, increasing the hard drive space from 16GB. Right now we both have 32GB chips in the phones.

19. sweetcanadian

sweetcanadian High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    i love my samsung and my husband HATES his iphone with a passion. The only thing it has that samsung doesn't is itunes. Samsung is actually getting ahead of iphone and it won't be long before iphone is left in the dust.

20. grosx2

grosx2 Have fun storming the castle!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The iPhone was passed by the top android devices several years ago. It's still a fine phone, and some people will choose it over android due to personal preference. Others will choose it because they blindly buy whatever product Apple releases. They are still at or near the top when it comes to tablets, laptops and mp3 players, but flagship android devices have been outclassing the iPhone in every meaningful performance category for quite some time now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.