1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

No tunnel to downtown!

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by banddswig, Mar 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. banddswig

banddswig Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What is the best route to Golden Nugget, besides the freeway(BOOO)? I'm sick of the $35.00 trip which seems to go way outta the way to get there. Trip is May 5-8.:beer:

2. bluesdude

bluesdude VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Paradise to Sahara to LVB and then to downtown. I suppose you could go further north to St. Louis Av. and then LVB. The caveat here is what time of day will you be traveling. I know that we took one of the shuttles and that was a flat fee no matter how much traffic there was. For two people I think it was about $18 not counting tip. I don't remember which company we used. Maybe check online to compare pricing if you decide to go the shuttle route.

Dead & Co with my son! June 4 or 5th - June 8th
  3. banddswig

banddswig Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We've used the shuttles before they were okay to get there, but they made us very nervous to get to the airport. Once we had to call a cab because our flight was fast approaching and we needed to go. Nothing but cabs to and from airport since. I just hate that when you get in a taxi it seems the first thing they do is hit the freeway and make the meter sing, and when you get off the freeway you sit through 2 or 3 stoplights. ARGGGG

4. bluesdude

bluesdude VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When you get a cab, have a predetermined route that you want the driver to take and tell them what it is. Also if possible, have an idea of how much the fare should be to your next destination. There are always variables like traffic and red lights that you have to contend with.

Dead & Co with my son! June 4 or 5th - June 8th
  5. TIMSPEED

TIMSPEED Money’s on the way, with CashNetUSA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Damn son, Catch the WAX for $2!

6. Icedgenes

Icedgenes Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
  7. VegasSteven

VegasSteven Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
  8. da1chifan

da1chifan High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Absolutely WAX bus for $2! Takes just as long as a cab basically. I can speak from experience that it starts out your trip with a GREAT feeling that you didn't get ripped off from moment one. I would do a sedan/limo hire before I ever did a cab to downtown again!

9. Candy Apple

Candy Apple VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Another vote for the WAX! Take the money you save on the taxi and get a couple buffets downtown!

10. DonnyC

DonnyC VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    you just have to wait for the darn bus to show up - doesn't leave that often.

11. banddswig

banddswig Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    On the WAX what kind of a wait time do you experience? We will be coming in to town on a Monday afternoon. Is there ever a hard time getting a seat on the WAX, or your luggage? Sounds like it would be worth it if there was not much of a wait. Like I said, with the "Shuttle" services I have little confidence!

12. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Bus is very under utilized and runs about once an hour. I don't know why, but I can't figure out how to post a link to their PDF schedule. Anyway, for afternoons on a weekday, they leave at:
    12:15
    1:13
    1:59
    2:42
    and the list goes on in that pattern until the last bus leaves McCarren at 11:18 PM

13. merlin

merlin MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No problem at all getting a seat, it must hold 40 -50 people and usually maybe 5 -8 board. From my experience alot of the riders are airport workers so only a few will have luggage. i can be a wait if you just miss it but you can always hop on the 108 or 109 to get to downtown, it takes a little longer because it has more stops and will drop you at the bonneville station which is maybe 5 blocks from fremont st.

14. banddswig

banddswig Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Awesome, I think will give it a try on this trip....40 more days

15. merlin

merlin MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You will like the savings for sure, one thing though, when you walk up to the bus area on level zero there is a ticket machine there, you dont need to buy a ticket from that machine as it does not sell single ride tickets(only passes for one or multiple days). If you are not riding bus's anywhere else you should just pay the $2 cash when you board, either paper or change, exact change only, the bus driver will help you if you are unsure where to stick the money.

16. VegasSteven

VegasSteven Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Great decision! You'll never look back once you ride the WAX downtown. So far every time I've taken that route the bus has been very punctual.

Even if you have to wait for a while (like if you just missed it), head back into McCarran and hit the new liquor store inside.

17. banddswig

banddswig Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the extra tips guys and gals. I cannot wait for next trip. meeting daughter and fiancé for there first time ever. We are spending three days Down town, and three on the Strip. GN then ARIA, WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!

18. DonnyC

DonnyC VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    And how long is the bus ride?

I land in July at 1:50...so I'd have to wait for the 2:42 - but after we deplane and get our luggage it might be close.

19. merlin

merlin MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    30 min ride, only a few stops, you would get off at 4th and carson downtown, near the walgreens.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.