1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

What kind of engagement ring did you buy or receive?

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by NYPoker, Mar 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NYPoker

NYPoker Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have been saving up to buy my longtime girlfriend an engagement ring and after getting trickles of information from her about what she likes I have finally picked a ring. I chose this band http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/pave/platinum-thin-french-cut-pave-set-diamond-engagement-ring-item-2018 with a Princess cut .73 carat diamond H color, Internally flawless, GIA described Square Modified Brilliant Cut. I am going to be spending a little over $3,400 after all is said and done. I wanted to go a little bit bigger carat wise but I am entering law school this year so $3,500 is really the budget for now. I was curious as to what others had purchased for their engagement ring :peace:.

2. sweetcanadian

sweetcanadian High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My ring & bands cost less than that but they are perfect for me & my hands and i picked them out. I saw one a bit bigger later that i liked (exact same, just bigger stones) and i would have got it but i am still content with the one i have.

In all honesty it shouldn't matter how much you spend on the ring. It could be 500 or 5000, the meaning behind it is what should count. I have heard price doesn't matter as much in canada and that in the USA it is a status symbol though.

How do you plan to propose? that is the most important thing lol

3. Nevada Kid

Nevada Kid VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Another funny thing when it comes to engagement rings is that men prefer to buy flawless or very good quality, while the women tend to not care about quality as much... it's size that matters!

4. LolaDoggie

LolaDoggie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think the chick should pick it out for herself.

5. NYPoker

NYPoker Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I still haven't decided! We are big on Disney so I have been trying to get the Disney cast at MGM to help me out by getting a proposal into one of the street shows they have. Then having the Disney florists transform our room while we are out for the day so we can return to some romance :thumbsup:.

6. saintpauljeff

saintpauljeff VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I forget all the diamond specs but it was a princess cut .75 carat diamond plus the ring for somewhere in the neighborhood of $7k. Unbelievable sparkle which is why I bought it.

7. Steve1212

Steve1212 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
  8. sweetcanadian

sweetcanadian High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    that sounds awesome.

i disagree that it is about size. I have 3 stone with channel diamonds and i love it. lots of sparkle and looks nice on my hand.

He had actually bought something different i found out when my mom was down 6 months before he proposed but then found out what i liked/preferred so he took it back.

I picked out a smaller ring than what i got and it did not have channel diamonds, he found this one with channel diamonds and asked if i liked it. I said yes, then left the store for him to decide if he was getting it.

Make sure you have an idea of what she wants but it doesn't have to be exact.

9. Bernie2

Bernie2 MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My advice would be to price them at a buying club (Sam's, BJ or Costco) why because their markup is maybe 12-4%. Jewelry has a very high markup. Good luck

10. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    33 years ago we went the practical route and never have regretted it. No engagement ring, just two matching gold bands with 5 tiny diamonds in each one. Diamonds almost too small to see w/o a pair of reading glasses.

I've said it before. I was so lucky to find my soul mate and we agree on almost everything, including how to spend our money practically.

But, every woman is different and I understand some need a big diamond.:peace:

11. NYPoker

NYPoker Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Haha, what she really wants is a Tiffany Novo ring but I can not spend $12,000 on a ring :faint:. She tried on one at Caesars last year and fell in love. So the one I found is pretty close.

I have been checking but for the style she would want the cheapest is $7,000.00. My parents live for Costco so they've been checking for me too.

12. dfalk

dfalk VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've been lucky, 30 years and havn't had to buy a ring yet, hopefully the next 30 will be jjust as good.

13. wpete

wpete High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you're concerned about the price of the ring, then the general rule of thumb is twice your gross monthly salary.

14. Auggie

Auggie Dovahkiin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When I bought the engagement ring I went with something that was pretty simple/basic and it was a lot cheaper than that as well.

To me the engagement ring was just the engagement ring and my intent was to spend a lot more on the actual wedding ring itself, plus I just wanted a ring for the sake of proposing and would prefer for her to actually be the one to pick out a ring that she was going to be wearing long term.

15. JWBlue

JWBlue VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Niessing tension set.

Never got married though.

[​IMG]

16. sporty8705

sporty8705 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    just not the marrying type, or havent found anyone worth putting a ring on it?

i am not sure what kind I am, but I do want kids, and these days we dont have to get married to have them.. i have one already lol

17. Julie888

Julie888 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    OP, very sweet that you've found a very similar ring to the style your GF loves. JMO, you're paying many extra dollars to buy a blue box. No one sees that on her finger.

Your romantic presentation can be retold for decades. There's not much chance to talk about where the ring was purchased. I think you're doing it right.

18. FXT

FXT VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I decided to go with a princess cut diamond from Blue Nile. My budget was 2kish and the entire thing cost less than that with the band. I was pretty satisfied with the purchase. I went with a VS1 and to be honest, you can't notice any flaws by eye so if you're willing to make a few adjustments/sacrifices, you can get a bigger diamond and better band for the same price. You can check out the thread I made on it.

19. dfalk

dfalk VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    little of both but pretty sure I don't wanna get married.

I do not want kids at all. If fact when I get back from my trip I'm going to the doctor and getting a vasectomy for a 30th bday present to myself.

20. LolaDoggie

LolaDoggie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Don't stress too much about it. I had a really crappy proposal and no engagement ring at the time of proposal. I still married him and we're still married and we still talk to each other most of the time. Some of those fairy tale stories end badly.

It is awesome and a good sign that you want to do right by her. But, keep in mind, it's one thing to try on rings at Caesars and actually pick out your own engagement ring and wedding band set. If you let her pick out her ring she might surprise you and pick out something very different and maybe even cheaper. I'm not saying that as a cost cutting suggestion. I just believe the chick should pick out her own ring.

It was a while after we were married that we could afford a real engagement ring for me and I picked out an estate ring (estate = used). Huge savings. But, I love it and get complements on it.

She might surprise you if you loop her in on the decision.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.