1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Best cheap way to get to MB???

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by sweetcanadian, Mar 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sweetcanadian

sweetcanadian High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ok, i have been researching options. We have a limited budget for getting around so i am thinking i am going to buy the 15 day bus passes since we are in LV for 8 days. I know it can be a pain but it really doesn't bother me to take a bit of time to get where i am going if that means i save money for other things.

Anyways, we will have luggage, minimum 2 suitcases and a backpack, but probably 1 big suitcase, 2 small roller bags and a backpack.

I do not want to take all that on the residential bus to go to the SSTT to buy the passes as it would inconvenience others.

Looking at my options i am thinking of taking the wax from the airport which then has us get off by trop/mgm. We would then have to cross the street and take our stuff on the tram to MB and that would only cost $4 then i would just have to pay $5 to go to SSTT to get the passes. This seems the cheapest option.

Is it easy to go from MGM to excal and then on the tram with luggage???

Also looks like can take it to BTC where we could buy the passes then take the duece or sdx back to MB, i assume one can take luggage on those busses??

2. Smo

Smo Mr. Las Vegas

Trips to Las Vegas:
    IIRC luggage is not allowed on the MB/Luxor/Excal tram.
    So you may have to rethink this, or just walk. If it's early the weather should be nice!

3. robert m.

robert m. High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    1. WAX from airport to Tropicana @ NYNY. $4 for two people.

2. Drag your bags to the NYNY driveway where there is a cab line. I think that it is pretty close
    to the WAX stop.

3. Catch a cab to MB. It is not too far...guess it would be $15, including tip.

4. Ditch the bags at MB. Either check in, or leave with bell desk ( tip ).

5. You could always catch the WAX at NYNY (tram from MB to NYNY). It is a FAST trip to BTC/downtown. Get 15 day pass & enjoy the frugal fun on Fremont.

I look forward to seeing other ideas!

Best wishes!

4. jh46

jh46 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When my sister and I stayed at MB, we took the WAX bus from the airport and then the tram. It was cheap and easy with no problems taking luggage on the tram. I'd do it again.

5. robert m.

robert m. High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ok.....

You really need to look at the routes & schedules on www.rtcsnv. Changes were implemented on March 2, 2014.

Are you landing at Terminal 3? If so, the CX picks up passengers there & takes them to downtown.
    HOWEVER, the CX does not have stops at MGM & NYNY on Tropicana.

The WAX departs Terminal 1, & still makes the MGM & NYNY stops.

So please, look at the maps on the website.

Also, the prior poster indicated that he or she had taken luggage on the tram from Luxor to MB. That would really sweeten the deal!

6. sweetcanadian

Trips to Las Vegas:
    i planned to go to ground 0 at terminal 1, not go from terminal 3.

If they do allow luggage then that is sweet.

Do they allow luggage on the sdx or duece??

7. jh46

jh46 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you look at the changes after March 2, you will see that the WAX does in fact now go to terminal 3, so no need to go to terminal 1 unless you really want to.

8. teacher1

teacher1 Low-Roller

Yes, both.

9. leo21

leo21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hate to be THAT person but this is a situation where it would be worth budgeting $30-40 for round trip cab fare. It may seem easy now to take a couple buses to get their but you are going to wear yourself out trying to do all that with luggage after a flight. I appreciate being on a budget but never take the time spent and fatigue out of the equation when making that decision.

10. dfalk

dfalk VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I agree that seems like way to much work to save a few bucks.

11. sweetcanadian

Trips to Las Vegas:
    for some yes, but if i took the wax to the BTC terminal and then sdx or duece back it's not so bad.

I do have the 30-40 but i want to spend it on other things.

I thought it was just cx that went to terminal 3 now, good to know the wax does too.

12. dfalk

dfalk VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ya that ain't to bad then. For me personally carrying around all that luggage would be a huge pain in the ass. I assume you're staying at MB? I would take a cab there, drop off all my luggage then deal with the bus after.

13. robert m.

robert m. High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ok. Glad that others re-examined the map.

It does appear that the WAX picks up passengers at Terminal 1, then picks up at Terminal 3, then proceeds to MGM/NYNY -- then downtown.

I appreciate the correction.

14. sweetcanadian

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I thought of that too, but my luggage is not huge. I am leaving the huge bag at home.

I also will not have a purse or anything else on me so just the 2 roller bags and backpack which will be on me plus My husband will have the bigger bag.

I will have to re-evaluate if i find we have more luggage. One of our bags will be empty of the 2 smaller ones, it is for souvenirs

15. Dewey089

Dewey089 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You won't bother anyone going South on the 109 to SSTT. It is the end of that route. There will not be many on the bus, and riders expect you to have luggage since you are boarding at a bus stop at the airport.
    But for that route you do have to board from Terminal 1. There is a shuttle between terminals.

You can buy your 15 day pass full fare at the SSTT with a credit card and then take SDX or Deuce to Mandalay Bay.
    Your 15 day pass will then pay for the higher strip bus fare, saving you $5 each over going WAX to NYNY and then Deuce to MB. Since all the buses are right at the SSTT terminal, there is little energy required to hop off the 109 and on the Deuce, where you will be one of the first to board that route.
    15 day passes at the SSTT will be $34 each.

Alternately, going WAX to the BTC (during business hours) would let you get a photo ID, get a senior 15 day pass and immediately save $17 each. You can do that on one bus WAX from terminal 3, and get back to Mandalay Bay on one bus, SDX or Deuce right from the BTC.
    The SDX is much quicker from the BTC to MB. Weighing exit comfort against speed, I'd take the SDX from the BTC to MB.

When I estimate the times of three buses from Terminal 3 to Terminal 1 to the SSTT versus one bus from the Terminal 3 to the BTC, I would guess the longer ride to the BTC would cost you about 25 extra minutes to the BTC and 30 extra minutes back.
    So you spend under an hour and you are set to go anywhere with no further expense for the rest of the trip.
    If you were staying your entire time at Mandalay Bay or just using the free tram and walking, I agree the cab is cheaper and the best value. But if you have to cab every day, want to see downtown or the North strip, then the bus is cheaper. Count up cab fares. Most places are a long way from Mandalay Bay.
    How much you will actually use the bus for the rest of your trip really makes the difference. How comfortable it would be to plan your next trip with an RTC ID so you could get reduced fare on the 15 day pass at the SSTT next trip also becomes a factor.
    What might that one trip WAX to BTC be worth over cab fare and tip for those 5 years?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2014
  16. sweetcanadian

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We are splitting our stay between 3 places plus going downtown twice so the bus makes more economic sense. If we were at MB the whole stay then i would do cab.

We are 25 years away from being able to get the reduced fare lol.

I thought we would be a nuance on the 109 with luggage.

I know i had already asked your advice dewey but still wasn't sure what direction we were gonna go when it comes to bus and/or cab.

17. robert m.

robert m. High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thank you, Dewey, for entering the discussion.

You have helped me really enjoy my trips on the Las Vegas buses.

I started getting interested in the transit system a few years ago. I had free rooms downtown, but had to attend meetings on the Strip for three straight days. At the end of the trip, I realized that I had spent $200 on cab fares from the airport, back & forth to Strip X 3, then back to the airport.

Like our Canadian friend, I had the money, but I decided to use it on things like eating at new restaurants, etc.

And you know what? It was fun! The WAX was fun. The CX & SDX were fun. It was very pleasant & relaxing to look out the windows.

Anyway, Dewey, I appreciate you mentoring me.

18. Dewey089

Dewey089 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the nice words, Robert.
    Sorry SweetCanadian. I forgot you were so young. You don't need ID.
    And I know we talked about some of this, but it takes time to figure it all out and all the input you can get helps you decide what is worth what to you.

I'd do the three buses to SSTT and use the machine for a 15 day pass. Use the free shuttle from terminal 3 to go to terminal 1 and save $2 each over getting to terminal 1 by WAX. Then it is $2 each on the 109 South for maybe 6 minutes to SSTT. Hop off, get the pass. Hop on the Deuce or SDX and it is just a few stops for the Mandalay Bay stop. note the SDX has to be your choice except from 12:30 am to 9 am when the Deuce takes over. During most of the day, the Deuce does not run to or from the SSTT.

Why not list all the places in order where you are staying and let us try to suggest alternatives getting from place to place.

Do me a favor. While you are at Mandalay Bay ask around about getting on the tram with luggage. A poster here said you could not. A few years ago I tried to track down that information and they were vague but said they thought no one would bother me. I'd like to know what the rule is. Tram to WAX is an alternative way to go MB to downtown that avoids traffic on the strip.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2014
  19. sweetcanadian

Trips to Las Vegas:
    i probably will go the 109 route, i didn't realize it would not be that busy. We rented a car when we went to Disneyworld but used their bus system and it did not bother us having that bit of time, it allowed us to reflect on things, or get excited.

I will definitely ask about the tram when we are there.

MB then GC then MC for our last night. Also going downtown on the 12th and then our last night downtown with some vmbers for a pub crawl.

I have mobility issues and recently found out that part of my problem is that i have twisted hips which is why that particular bus pass appeals to me as we are there for 8 nights 9 days. I like the idea of being able to hop on & off if i feel like it. I have better things to spend money on than taxi cabs, but would take tem if i really had too.

20. joshrocker

joshrocker VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You can always take a shuttle from the airport. They're better equipped to help with luggage and they're much cheaper then cabbing it. It can be a pain waiting for the shuttle to fill since they won't leave until they've filled the vacant seats but it's a cheap and easy option with luggage.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.