1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Safe Transport for the Single Gal?

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by fenway68, Mar 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fenway68

fenway68 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am trying to give some advice to a coworker who is traveling to Vegas in Mid April to meet her girlfriends for a 50th birthday blast. They are booked at Treasure Island, and I helped her secure a decent Flight itinerary on SW without breaking her bank...

She arrives in vegas very late on a Thursday night, and wanted to know what mode of transport you would recommend for a late 40's gal traveling alone from the airport to TI. It is her first trip to LV. I explained longhauling to her.

options: presidential limo?? concern would be cost...
    taxi: obv concern is the long haul...so I would want her to confidently tell the cabbie how to go...I dont stay that far up strip but would you still do paradise, trop, koval, sands and cross the Blvd there? or would the tunnel actually be faster?

any other options...

2. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would do a taxi. "TI, take Swenson to Paradise", said very confidently.

3. robert m.

robert m. High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Taxi would probably be the most obvious choice.

However, if it were my wife, I'd reserve a Towncar ( not a limo ). Presidential. Probably cost 2 to 3 times the cab fare. However, it would be safe, anxiety-free & a nice memory.

4. fenway68

fenway68 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    thanks!

yes, town car over limo...i will give her these options...she used to live in NYC, so she can be confident in a cab, but she may want the extra safety of a Town Car...

Cost these days of Airport-->TI?? about 15-18 w tip?

5. g8rb8k8

g8rb8k8 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am mid 50s and usually take one of the shuttles just outside of baggage claim. I've done the R/T with at least a half a dozen times and i've never had any problems with getting picked up for the return trip to the airport as some people have. I saw that you were trying to not break the bank for her and I think its about $14 r/t.

6. tringlomane

tringlomane STP Addicted Beer Snob

Trips to Las Vegas:
    More like without tip. It's a $2 fee to leave the airport now and $2.80/mile when you lump in the gas surcharge. With my g/f it cost about $19 to get to Mirage taking the route suggested by dmr, so it would have been $18 if I was solo. TI instead of Mirage will likely save another buck.

Kicking off the Trip with Two New Hotels to Us!!!
  7. WHIVGOYTUBE

WHIVGOYTUBE MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If she doesn't want to be alone, and control cost, then Shuttle it. Her first time to Vegas?
    Yea the shuttle takes longer, but she'll get to see some great sights along the way. :thumbsup:

8. GottaLuvCruising

GottaLuvCruising High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I went by myself one time, flew Orlando to Las Vegas after work one evening and arrived about midnight. I just took a shuttle to Harrah's. I never felt unsafe in Las Vegas alone, but I was always aware of my surroundings. Just tell her to follow the signs for the shuttle and for her to walk like she knows what she's doing (even if she doesn't).

They'll have a great time!

9. bjpcyclone

bjpcyclone High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Cab. Getting long hauled may cost you an extra $10-$15 but its still a safe way to travel. I wouldn't book a limo just because you are afraid to get long-hauled.

Every time we've told the cab "no tunnel", they don't take the tunnel. Maybe once or twice they will say "it's quicker with traffic", but we just say "no thanks, no tunnel and have been fine. Unless you get a terrible cabbie, they aren't going to sit there and argue with them. And if they do, politely tell them there will be no tip unless you are taken the way you asked.

10. dankyone

dankyone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Plus, going to TI is actually one of the few places where they have a decent argument that the freeway is meaningfully faster...

11. tringlomane

tringlomane STP Addicted Beer Snob

Trips to Las Vegas:
    At this moment according to google, the tunnel will save you one minute and will add a little over 4 miles to your trip.

:evillaugh

Kicking off the Trip with Two New Hotels to Us!!!
  12. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Actually, a few years back when I picked up a friend at the airport who was staying at the Mirage, I did take the expressway (and the tunnel). I just didn't feel like futzing around with the hassle as you exit on Swenson and then had to catch that easy to miss turn onto Naples to get over to Paradise. Then the Strip traffic.

13. Canuckgem

Canuckgem Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When I travel solo, I generally take the shuttle. Haven't had any problems with this. Don't need to be in a hurry when I'm on vacation. It isn't as if the hotel will refuse me if I'm late lol!

14. Chuck2009x

Chuck2009x VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Why load her up with all this angst?

Honestly, first time to Vegas, arriving late at night after (I assume) a long flight and the #1 thing to start the trip is don't get tunneled?

She isn't even going to know if the driver followed her directions or not until she sees the fare.

If an extra $10 isn't going to break her, why not just take the tunnel - no stop lights, boom, she's there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.