1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Culinary Dropout

Discussion in 'Restaurants & Buffets' started by smartone, Mar 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There was a thread about whether or not it's worth your time to fill out those electronic "how was your stay?" comment cards a while back and I couldn't find it, so I'll post this here.

I had lunch this past Tuesday at The Culinary Dropout inside the Hard Rock. It was past 1 pm and there was only 20 or so people dining and the bar was empty, so I sat there. A very friendly bartender came over and took my order, Shaved Prime Rib Dip. I have the same thing almost every visit, so I'm there once or twice a month, though I don't generally see the same faces like I do at some of the Hard Rock's other venues.

I waited and waited and waited for a long time for a simple order at a slow time period. The food finally came and the sandwich and au jus were cold... though I had time, I was hungry, so just ate it paid the tab and left. Now I've eaten at this place probably 25 times since they've opened and the food has been outstanding except for the past 2 times... same thing, long wait and then cold food.

I know from previously being in the business, that a manager can't correct what he or she doesn't know about... I should've said something while there... but I also know most customers aren't the "let me speak to the manager" type.

Yesterday I received the usual "how was your stay" communication (e-mail survey) from the Hard Rock. I fill it out every time and I ALWAYS look for positive things and people names to relay on it as well. Example: this trip I stayed in an area of the hotel I'd never been in before and leaned out the door to a young guy vacuuming the hallway and asked, "which way to the ice-machine?" He responded, "may I fill that up for you sir?" Well... heck yeah. Of course, it earned him a nice tip, but I made sure to get his name and include it in the survey response.

Anyways, back to my Culinary Dropout story...within 15 minutes of the time I pushed send, I had an e-mail message from the General Manager of Culinary Dropout in my inbox apologizing for the recent visits that haven't met my expectations and asking to allow him to make things right. Now I'm sure these surveys aren't always reviewed that quickly or closely, but maybe they are! The Hard Rock had to have time to forward that part of the survey to the restaurant. I enjoy this restaurant, so will gladly go back now that I know my business is valued.

So... the point of this is... in my experience, it's well worth it to communicate... not about every little nit-picky thing and I think it adds credibility to the matter when you point out the things you like and appreciate too. It's not that hard to "catch people doing things right"... it's so easy for people to look for something they didn't like and grind on it over and over.

2. dglen

dglen Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I agree with your comments, people rarely take the time to praise an establishment for good service or behavior and only complain for bad service, usually looking for compensation.

I think complaints carry more weight if they are constructive instead of my meal or visit was horrible and also identified what was being done well.

3. NYPoker

NYPoker Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I totally believe in giving comments good or bad when requested. I also believe when you have a bad experience, and you know the quality that you have gotten before is better, that you write to a manager, owner, etc. No business wants to fail and like the OP said, that manager can't fix what he doesn't know. So feedback, even negative, is positive for the future of the business.

4. Kickin

Kickin Flea

It may have been this one: https://www.vegasmessageboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103099

I agree with you completely. I've always felt the way service personnel respond to an issue is more important than having the issue in the first place. The latter can happen to anyone, but a good business will try to address it. They just need to know about it in the first place.

5. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That's it!!! Thank You!!!

6. bbbaer

bbbaer Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just luck,never got answers from HR about complains.Only via my host.

7. robert m.

robert m. High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am pleasantly surprised that you got a response.

I completely stopped doing surveys when I realized that after years of doing them, I had never received a response.

I wonder what percentage of surveys result in corrective action. My guess would be about the same as a dealt royal. It happens, but don't be disappointed when it does not happen.

8. bjpcyclone

bjpcyclone High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I always fill out the comment card (the last half dozen trips have been at Monte Carlo) and do the same as you, let them know what (and who) I liked and what they could improve on. Last time my biggest complaint was they had 1, maybe 2 people working the MLife desk and you could easily wait 30 minutes in line. I mentioned it and there is a box that asks "would you like us to call you to discuss your issues?". For the first time, I checked YES mostly just to see if they actually do follow up.

They don't. At least in my case they didn't. But that's cool they followed up with you, that's what they should do.

9. Piggylane

Piggylane Well-Known Member

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A couple years ago I took a buddy, who was just recovering from a nervous breakdown, to the Capital Grille. Bob was extremely paranoid about his food preparation. The waitress sensed this, took his hand and led him into the kitchen to meet the Chef! This calmed him and pleased him immensely. I really enjoyed the meal and we left her a nice tip.

When I got back to my office a week later the experience still impressed me so I called their HQ, I believe it was in D.C. and asked to speak to someone about the wonderful experience. A few minutes later the CEO of all people took the time out of his day to talk with me, got the waitress's name (I had the receipt in hand) and said that he would personally do something for her. They are a class act!

There are many chains who could care less about your dining experience (Friday's, Joe's Crab Shack, Applebee's - I could go on and on, I eat out constantly due to travel) but there are some who care. Tweeting your experience, writing reviews on TripAdvisor or Yelp or just calling Corporate can do wonders sometimes.

Great feedback! Wish more would take the time to do so!

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.