1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

15 day Bus Passes

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by cartoonp, Mar 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cartoonp

cartoonp Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ok let me start by saying I do not want to brake any rules of the board or the Bus system in Vegas .

As I am in Vegas for 15 Days on the strip I was thinking of buying the 15 day Bus pass and using it for the Duce ect world this be allowed or is this braking the rules. I have seen on a site based in the UK saying people have done it but I thought I asked on a better board for Vegas.

Many thanks

2. mikenhe

mikenhe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Break.
    breaking.

FFS - I'm doing enough damage to the reputation of Brits on this board - I don't need help :D

anyway - I've used multi day passes in the past with no problem

http://www.rtcsnv.com/transit/fare-information/

it doesn't show 15 day passes for visitors though

3. cartoonp

cartoonp Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hi yes I know :eek: but I was told that they brought a 15 day pass and used it on the Duce bus :eek: but I do not know if you can do this or not . The lady seemed adement you can but as I said I do not what to buy a 15 day pass and being told you can not use the pass on the Duce she said she was not asked for I'd only when she brought the tickets and she showed her uk driving li

4. Jimbo338

Jimbo338 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It is true that it is not listed in the RTC as an all Access pass. However, several people have been told that it is by RTC Personnel. Since I usually stay 9 days on my annual trip, I personally called the RTC and asked directly and was told that the 15 Day Pass IS ALL ACCESS. It has been verified by our resicential bus guru Dewey.

This question comes up again and again here on the board, the last time being about a week ago with the same answer and was closed by Sonya who said something to the like of......the question has been asked and answered. CLOSED

I have never even been asked for a reduced fare ID or any ID. I will need a new on next year just before I arrive in LV and the RTC lady at the Bus Transfer Center told me I could buy it there or at Walgreens Phamacy by showing my medicare card for ID so I imagine a Gov't Driver Licene would work as well.

Jimbo338

5. cartoonp

cartoonp Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Cheers for that I did not know it was asked before . So world admin or s mods please delete or close this many thanks for the replys as I said I did not want to brake any rules on the board or the bus

Thank you

6. English Dave

English Dave Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My wife and I buy the 15 day bus pass. As we're now 60 years old, only $17 each..... a fantastic bargain. We had our photos taken, and issued with cards to show with our ticket. We were assured the passes were all access, including the deuce.

7. Jimbo338

Jimbo338 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    English Dave and the Mrs.,
    Welcome to the 60's; you've now learned the only benefit of being old! lol. Really, the 15 day pass is the only way to go if you are going to be there a week or more. Funny thing, the RTC says you are supposed to show your reduced fare ID whenever you swipe your pass. After all these years, I am convinced that there is no code or electronic thing on a pass to signify that you paid half price. Often I forget to show it, other times the driver isn't looking, often they wave you on without using the pass or collecting the fare. This year I decided not to show my pass and was never asked for it at all. I had it of course, as well as my medicare card and Driver License if needed.

Jimbo338

8. Dewey089

Dewey089 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You break no rules if you use the 15 or 30 day pass for the Deuce and Strip. No local ID is required.
    A half dozen people have confirmed this with conversations at the BTC and it has been the rule since the 15 day pass was created. Why the Asterik is off the chart on the RTC website is a mystery and it keeps causing the confusion on the 15 day all access pass. The same confusion existed with the 5 day pass back a few years. No asterisk on the website, but assurances that no local ID was necessary to use it even on strip buses.
    Here are some of the reports back two years.
    http://vegasonthebus.blogspot.com/2012/10/bus-passes-that-are-all-access.html

You break a technical rule if you are not a local and use a 24 hour residential pass ($5) and don't have a local ID. Some riders on this board break that rule and none have reported getting bothered. To call you on it, the driver would have to ask for a local ID. RTC did tell me that they installed the machine at the airport because too many people were getting a residential 24 hour pass and using it at that stop near MGM to take a strip bus. With luggage it is pretty clear they are probably not local.

You break a firm rule if you take a reduced fare pass and use it but are not qualified. 60 or over for seniors. I've seen inspectors make people buy a different pass. I've been asked by drivers to show my ID after swiping the 15 day reduced fare pass.

You break a rule if you buy a pass, do not validate it in the machine and use it first to board the SDX bus. All other buses validate when you swipe and enter near the driver. Hop on, hop off SDX needs you to first validate in the machine. What will happen is an inspector will ask you to hop off and validate, but the SDX passes some rather tough neighborhoods, and you will probably end up having to wait for the next bus. Validation is what stamps the time on the pass and starts the clock.

You break a rule on jay walking if while waiting for the bus you walk out into the street to see if the next bus is coming. I've talked to locals who were fined for what was labeled, "intentional jaywalking." The fine is hefty.

Okay, this is off topic, but I want to add it to every bus post because I missed it. The Deuce does not run to and from the SSTT except 12:30 to 9AM when the SDX does not run at all. So at the SSTT take the SDX for most of the day.
    Also, the reduced fare machine at SSTT is reported this week as being unable to bring up the reduced fare menu with senior ID. Thanks to Keno for this later info.

He also shares that the reduced fare passes are available at Walgreen's just one stop West on the 201 West from the Orleans. Nice resource.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 26, 2014
  9. cartoonp

cartoonp Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was going to buy A 15 day Pass as I was going to use the Duce quite a lot but I manged to get A 7 day Mono Rail pass for quite a good price Pre paid so I got that I will still use the Duce bus but I will buy one or two day passes . I booked 2 tours so will be outside Vegas for a couple of days

10. Jimbo338

Jimbo338 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Monorail is good if you are going between the hotels it serves or to the LV Convention Center from one of the hotels. Otherwise it is quite a hike to get to it, it is far from convenient for most tourists and the two greatest opportunities for the monorail.......connecting to the airport , and connecting to downtown, were never done and probably never will be done.

Jimbo338

11. Dewey089

Dewey089 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No worries, Cartoon. Most questions on this board come up over and over again and threads duplicate often.
    Actually, although I write often about buses here and on my bus blog (in link below,) I had not really framed a succinct post all around rules until I was prompted by your post. So thanks.

Do you feel you know where you will buy your 15 day pass? You can't buy it at the airport or along the strip. Where are you staying for the 15 days?
    Are you over 60 years of age?
    I'd recommend that you take the WAX bus from Terminal 3 to the Bonneville Transit Station (BTC) when you arrive and buy the pass, but you have to arrive during business hours.
    But perhaps after the long plane journey that is just too hard to do right away.
    If you tell us what you plan, we can help you figure a good way.

12. Morpheus7272

Morpheus7272 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    RE: validation of 15-day pass on SDX

Hello All,

When you buy your 15-day pass, it is indeed all-access (confirmed a bit over a week ago) and there is a validation machine near the middle door on the SDX. We had to validate ours on the bus, since the machine next to Binion's would not validate it, and the security officer told us about the machine on the bus. Certainly, if the 15-day pass was not valid on the SDX, we would have been told at that time.

This brings up an interesting point. The Binion's machine would not validate our pass, and I wonder if that's because it's *technically* not for use on the SDX / Deuce. This may very well be one of those situations where RTC originally planned to have the 15-day pass invaild on the SDX / Deuce (and thus programmed Strip and Downtown machines not to validate those passes) but has relented on this rule.

Or those machines near Binion's might just be kinda broken.

Dave

13. Dewey089

Dewey089 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks Dave. I had not known about validation on the bus itself. Nice.
    I doubt that it was more than a malfunction at Binions. When passes are invalid on the Deuce and SDX, that is just for tourists. Any local can buy even a 24 hour residential pass and use on any bus. Locals also buy passes ahead of the time they are going to use them. With local ID all passes are valid.
    Also it has been a good long time since all this was established and they would have had plenty of time to fix machines.
    I often hear of them not functioning in one way or another.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.