1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Six Flags Magic Mountain (LA)

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by StuartUK, Mar 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StuartUK

StuartUK Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hey guys,

Any of you been to the park in Valencia ?
    Were going in May (May 23rd), Friday........
    Any ideas if the park will be super rammed ?

ie: Theme Parks in the UK on Saturday/Sunday = super rammed (Busy)
    Same parks in School holidays through the week = super rammed!

But normal school day, weekday, the park is busy, but with like 10 to 20 minute queues.......

Is Magic Mountain similar ?? not as busy on a weekday ?
    I ask, as am trying to figure out if its worth buying the Flash Pass....

Show me the money Jerry, show me the money!!!
  2. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm no Magic Mountain expert, but have been my fair share of times, and it's going to be "rammed" since it's So Cal, that's a Friday and it's also Memorial Day Weekend. Just no avoiding crowds like when we were kids and midweek or offseason did mean breathing space at Disneyland or wherever.

Unfortunately I can't quantify what "rammed" means. But there will be lines on all but the weak-sister attractions.

3. donfairplay

donfairplay VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Friday shouldn't be too bad, kids are still in school in the morning to 2pm.

Saturday to Monday on Memorial Day weekend... probably bad. :evillaugh

4. StuartUK

StuartUK Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    that's my thinking....
    Kids are still in school on Friday 23rd May (Mem weekend busy stuff will be Sat, Sun & Mon)...

So my thinking is, if most kids are still in school on that Friday, then in theory, the park will be busy as normal, but not stupid busy by where the queues are over 2 hours per ride, etc!! :)

5. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We did a midweek stop at Disneyland last year. Non holiday. It was packed. Neighbors were down there two weeks ago for two days, midweek, packed. MM ain't Disneyland and no one can look into the future, but …

In all of these things, YMWV.

Great coasters at MM!!! Have fun!!

6. sporty8705

sporty8705 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It depends on when you go. Some schools get out that week, or the week before for the summer. It is also a Friday, and a holiday weekend, meaning some schools have that day off, kids may skip school, be off already and some states have vacations..

P.S. Ken I was at Disneyland yesterday 2-8 and not crowded.

7. MikeE

MikeE The Shah's Slightly Hairy Cousin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's a thrill park with only a dozen or so rides that are truly worth going on. No "nooks and crannies" to explore and general transformative Fantasy that is just hanging out in a Disney park. The "kids" stuff is akin to carnival attractions.

If you can get there very early before the crowds start rolling in and have the energy (and stomach) to handle the rides nearly back-to-back, you'll make a big dent in your itinerary and then have a more leisurely time as the crowds take over.

8. Terry Benedict

Terry Benedict VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When we went to Universal Orlando a year ago and the first thing we did was go into a gift shop and popped a Dramamine (motion sickness pill). Wouldn't hurt, could help.

9. StuartUK

StuartUK Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Cheers for the info....
    I guess, like you say, 1 day away from memorial weekend, and being a Friday too could mean it gets super busy later in the day.........

Plan is now to:
    Buy The GOLD Flash Pass.....
    But get to the park for 10am ish, queue to get in, and then get straight on the big rides, then normal rides, and then use the flash pass for later in the day :)

We did Busch Gardens 3 years ago (best park EVER!), had an unlim fast pass, was great going on the same ride 4 times on the trot!
    We like Xtreme rides, so back to back on crazy rides is nothing! :D

10. MikeE

MikeE The Shah's Slightly Hairy Cousin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I envy you. When I was 18, I used to go to Magic Mountain every few months or so and do the same. Ten years later, some friends and I had the brilliant idea of reliving our teenage years there. Let's just say, we were beyond grateful to wait in line while our equilibrium reset from the previous ride.

11. heatherlovesvegas

heatherlovesvegas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I grew up in Valencia, so safe to say I used to go a lot...haha. I'm not into it anymore. I still have a friend or two that work there.

Honestly, hard to say. I would guess it won't be too bad. I mean, it's not Disneyland, not really the most popular place anymore...people aren't clamoring to get in. It's not even open year round anymore. Not like it was 15 years ago. I wouldn't buy it until you get there and see if you need it.

My word of warning it'll most likely be REALLY hot outside, it could be 100 degrees, so make sure you are up for that...

12. worldtraveler661

worldtraveler661 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have lived in Valencia for 12yrs. I can actually see the park from my house. I pass by the fwy exit everyday and yes its not the big happening place that it used to be. Its no Disneyland crowd thats for sure. It does get busy on Summer time and some weekends.
    The rush is usually in the morning for the first couple hours.

So if you plan to make the most ouf of the day, get there first thing in the morning or even 30min before. Theres a couple fast food places and big gas station right before the entrance so you can grab something to eat before coming in.

For that friday before MDW, it shouldnt be that bad as far as top 10 busiest days of the year. Not even the top 20. It'll just be a typical day. Like HeatherlovesVegas said, dont buy the Flash pass now. You can always do that when you get in there.

I havent been inside Magic Mtn itself in a couple years but since I have young kids we have a season pass to Hurricane Harbor there. On those summer weekdays and some weekends, we would just come in for an hour or so and play in the water. It wasnt hard to get in and find parking.(They both share the same parking and main ticket/entrance area.

Dont sweat the crowds the beginning of the day. Just prepare for the heat if it get unusually hot by end of May.

13. StuartUK

StuartUK Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    thanks for the reply peeps :) :) :)

Heat we like (100 degrees to us Brits is perfect, even for walking around a park!)..
    Good idea with regards to the flash pass, guess best to buy on the day if it starts to get real busy.....
    Totally understand that Memorial Day Weekend will be Busy (Sat, Sun and Mon), so fingers crossed, as you say, it will be a normal work/school day on the Friday so shouldn't be toooo busy........
    Park opens at 10:30am, so was planning on getting there for 10am, get in, go straight to the big rides, and then work our way round as normal..... and buying the flash passes if it starts to get super busy!

Thank you all :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.