1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Are you finding rental car rates high too?

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by Jonnyvegas, Feb 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jonnyvegas

Jonnyvegas Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have only rented a car for my whole stay in Vegas once. I don't recall the prices for rental cars being so steep. I've tried a few search engines, Costco and AAA.

My trip is first week of June. Is there a timeframe prior to the trip that I might find a better price?

This trip is for 5 nights / 6 days. What kind of rates for a full size is reasonable in your opinion?

Thanks!

2. good4uccm

good4uccm Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The best rate i could find was with Hertz. I was looking for a mid size suv for 6 days (chevy equinox) seeing there is going to be 4 of us. I signed up for the Hertz Gold Club thing its free and it gave me the best rate even after using different discount codes. All in all I'm going spring break time April 19-24. with no add ons or anything my total was 322.34 after taxes n fees. It was the best rate i could find to date for what i wanted. So best bet do research and look frequently hope it helps!

3. southernyankee

southernyankee Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was in another place in this forum and someone turned me onto the Total Rewards site Alliance section. If you have a Total rewards account log in and go to "TR Alliances" -->"TR Getaways"--> and then the Enter button. Do a search for cars and the date. I was getting the same prices you were for my March trip and going through here I got a car for 5 Days for $163.00 out the door.

hope it helps.

4. Piston12

Piston12 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    With dollar or thrifty use the code 5C11M for 15% off.

5. matguy

matguy High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah, I thought the car rental was too high, so I brought my own. Also reduced the flight costs; funny how that worked. :evillaugh

6. jpeter1093

jpeter1093 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Do they charge you immediately, or is it a reservation? Also, do you when the extra charges (airport fees, taxes, etc) show up? The site shows taxes & fees are zero.

7. NandJfrmNJ

NandJfrmNJ VIP Whale

The good prices on TR are no longer there. We rented through them for our Jan trip and the price was as shown; no additional taxes or fees.

To the OP: yes. car rental prices have gone way up. In the not too distant past we used to be able to rent through Dollar or Alamo for a week for under $150 using discount codes and coupons. That is no longer the case. It's getting to the point where we're considering renting for only part of the time we're there but the thought of not having a car scares me because we travel around a lot. Car rental is getting more expensive than airfare.

8. tinytim

tinytim Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You must pay up front. Glad I found that site via Total Rewards as I have TWO reservations. 1 week each, Nissan Maxima $108.
    Both paid in advance. Includes taxes, fees and unlimited mileage.
    T-8
    T-81

Last edited: Feb 26, 2014
  9. southernyankee

southernyankee Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I booked just 3 days ago for March 14-19 through TR Getaways and and total cost was $163 paid up front. I chose Dollar rental and if I tried to do the same dates through their site it came to almost $300. So the discount you get is pretty good

10. Thickskinnedalive

Thickskinnedalive Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Was lucky to get in on the TR rate too for our upcoming trip. Signed up for Dollar express and the lady was shocked by the price we paid as it is triple now

11. Iu25

Iu25 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I booked the TR deal about a month ago for our 5 days trip, got a Standard car for $115, couldnt come close to that anywhere else except Payless, and some of the reports about pushing upgrades and long waits scared me away from them.

12. DonnyC

DonnyC VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So the question then is, 'Why are rental rates increasing so much?'

And if you say supply and demand then you have to believe that the demand for rental vehicles is higher now...and I'm not sure that is true.

13. Steelers7

Steelers7 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    read a few post, will have to try the total rewards thing myself...I rent from dollar, no deposit, no payment upfront. When I first started looking at prices about 3 weeks ago I couldn't believe the prices. Currently though I have a reservation for just over 19.00 a day, which is still about 25/30% more than I have usually paid in the past. I do seem to find my best price about two months out but always continue to check. currently I'm 2 months out, lol, but the 19 is down from around 38 when I first started looking.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.