1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Donation station at TSA

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Terry Benedict, Feb 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Terry Benedict

Terry Benedict VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I just read an article that said about $400,000 a year in change is left at TSA security checkpoints in US airports.

Someone suggested they donate it to the USO. I love this idea and think it should be expanded, or should I say solicited. I would support TSA having donation stations before and after the security checkpoint. And keep a running tab, a "thermometer" that shows how much that particular airport and the nation contributes.

They might get a lot of chips at McCarran.

2. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Source or article link please.

3. Terry Benedict

Terry Benedict VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
  4. thecarve

thecarve Misanthrope

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Lol. How did Joe miss an article from [STRIKE]The Daily Worker[/STRIKE] Huffpo? :poke:

(Nothing but love, Joe!:beer:)

5. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I always go into a state of panic for the 10 - 15 seconds my $4K is going through on the way to Vegas.

6. Auggie

Auggie Dovahkiin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't know how the donation stations would work: that money isn't really being donated by people, its money they are forgetting to pick up and take with them after they pass a screening point... so one action would need a conscious action on the people's part but whats happening is just them forgetting.

As for them giving up the money: it is easy to say what they should do with the money - its always easy to be generous when telling others how they should spend their money, however reality is that this is a pretty significant amount so its not likely they are going to be wanting to give it up its like a free $300-400K in their budget every year to work with.

7. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Put it in a tip can like the dealers and divvy it up after the shift.

8. wpete

wpete High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The TSA works under a budget just like any other Government agency. You just can't add money into your budget from a loose change jar. Being a government worker myself, I find it hard to think that this money is being used to buy light bulbs. My bet is that the money is going into the airport TSA slush fund to offset the price of soda and snacks for the TSA employees.

Also, why does the HuffPo always seem to drag my internet speed back to the 1990's?

9. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Comrade, what are speaking of?:peace:

10. Terry Benedict

Terry Benedict VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That's why I would support one before the security checkpoint. That is really being donated by people.

I think customers, especially men, would actually dig in their pockets for the 73 cents they got as change when they bought that soda, magazine, or coffee in the concourse. Women, in general, keep change in their purse which would just go on the belt. I'm guessing a high percentage of the $400k is from men.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 25, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.