1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Red Rock & Mt Charleston

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by blackjacknut, Feb 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blackjacknut

blackjacknut VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Will be in Vegas from March 21st to March 31st and plan on doing Red Rock and Mt Charleston (some easy to moderate hiking). Any tips for either of these places. I know about the scenic loop for Red Rock how about Mt Charleston, any ideas for easy to moderate hiking trails, best places to get good scenery pictures both from trails and driveable locations. Thanks!

Last edited: Feb 22, 2014
  2. blackjacknut

blackjacknut VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Re-post try this again...Bueller....Bueller...Bueller...anyone...anyone?

3. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
  4. blackjacknut

blackjacknut VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks Joe, this place looks cool...added to our list of places to check out.

5. jackincols

jackincols Guest

I've been to that lodge joe linked. Pretty nice place. I'm not a hiker either, but I would think a staffer at the lodge could give you some hiking ideas in that area.

6. nystocktrader

nystocktrader Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    At Red Rock, depending on how much CLIMBING you want to do, the first and third parking areas were our favorites.

7. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm not a hiker and "most" of the time I try and not post stuff I am not familiar with, but here is a link to hiking in Vegas. And no, I've never done any of them.

http://www.hikinglasvegas.com/Hikes.htm

8. zamboni

zamboni VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have said it before on here and will again- Valley of Fire kicks Red Rocks ass. It is amazing and there is more to see and explore. I have done both, and know several others that have and will agree. The park and hike is better- the Red Rock loop doesn't have many places to park, but VOF does and they all lead to some very cool stuff to explore.

9. Reston

Reston VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    @blackjacknut,

I've been doing hikes on my Vegas trips the last several years. One thing I learned is to match the location to the season. Mt. Charleston is so high up that it makes for great summer hiking. Red Rock, on the other hand, is generally good for winter hiking.

One suggestion for you is one I tossed out to Chef in his thread about avoiding traffic to Hoover Dam. There's a trail outside of town that follows an old railroad track that terminates at the top of the Hoover Dam parking garage. It strikes me as perfect for an early Spring hike. (I did it the first week of April one year.) It winds along Lake Mead at points and goes through old railroad tunnels. Very scenic at times. Plus, you would have the opportunity for great pictures at the dam, including from the new bridge highway that towers above the dam. (The trail passes by the walkup to the bridge.)

10. chef

chef Resident Buffetologist

The man knows what he's talking about.

11. gambler

gambler VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That's a good site with lots of hikes listed. It also shows time and elevation.

Thanks for posting Joe. It's giving me some ideas too!

12. NandJfrmNJ

NandJfrmNJ VIP Whale

Some of our favorite hikes at Mt Charleston are : Fletcher Canyon Cathedral Rock and Mary Jane Falls.
    At RR: Calico Tanks, Ice Box Canyon, Oak Creek Canyon, La Madre Springs and First Creek.

There are a myriad of trails at both places depending on your ability level. We have also hiked the railroad trial at Lake Mead; nice but we really like slot canyons and there are lots of them at RR.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.