1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

New RTC Service to Terminal 3 starting March 2

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by pdog89149, Feb 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pdog89149

pdog89149 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
  2. mikenhe

mikenhe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    thank you!
    I was looking at that yesterday and trying to work out what was happening - especially as the airport site was saying that there wasn't a service from t3...

3. Turtleman

Turtleman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the heads-up; it's great having another bus option if going between the airport and downtown. It looks like the CX will take several minutes longer than the WAX, but it could be the faster way depending on the time. I've never been to Terminal 3, but I'm guessing that getting there from D gates won't be much different than taking the other tram to the main terminal. :)

4. pdog89149

pdog89149 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It also helps anyone staying mid-Strip. There is a stop right next to TI and the Palazzo heading to the airport and one at Sands and Koval or near Fashion Show Mall heading back from the airport.

5. catman

catman Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    But if it drops you off in Terminal 3...how do you get to Terminal 1, and how long does it take?

6. dvandentop

dvandentop VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Nice might have to check it out

7. Dewey089

Dewey089 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Terminal 3 bus service to start

March 2
    Both the WAX and the CX will drop off and pick up at Terminal 3. This will be a great benefit for International travelers. Each bus makes one stop near the strip (CX on Spring mtn Road and LV blvd. /// WAX on Tropicana outside NYNY.} and both buses go to downtown.

http://www.rtcsnv.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/AirportBrochure_0114_24x11.pdf

There is a shuttle between the two terminals.
    https://www.mccarran.com/Go/Inter-TerminalShuttle.aspx

As well as giving International travelers great options, domestic travelers arriving at Terminal 1 and shuttling to Terminal 3 could now get on the CX bus that would access the strip at Spring Mtn Road directly from the airport. So it opens up the possibility of staying at Wynn, TI, Venetian, Mirage and getting very close by residential bus directly from the airport. I'd expect both of the buses to comfortably accommodate luggage unlike crowded strip buses where large suitcases can be a nuisance.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 14, 2014
  8. Royal Flusher

Royal Flusher Savvy Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Great news! Will the WAX still stop at Terminal 1 as well as 3?

Edit yeah, it looks like it will.

9. Dewey089

Dewey089 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes, the WAX will still stop at Terminal 1. The times will be slightly altered. The CX will not stop at Terminal 1.

10. Jimbo338

Jimbo338 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Do we still able to get on at ground zero like we have before?

Jimbo338

11. Dewey089

Dewey089 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You can get on the WAX at ground zero just as you did before. However, get a new schedule of times after March 2 as those in your book won't be current.

The CX will not stop at Terminal 1 ground zero, but only at Terminal 3.

The shuttle between Terminal 1 and Terminal 3 leaves also somewhere near the bus stop at Terminal 1. Some parts of the airport website tell folks to make a reservation if they want to take it, but I suspect that will go away once this becomes a regular route.

No one loses on this improvement except it will add a few minutes to some WAX trips.

12. pdog89149

pdog89149 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It looks like if you want to take the WAX from terminal 1 you should NOT get on the one that is still going to Terminal 3. That's the southbound trip and all that happens is that you sit at the end of the line and potentially miss the one that is heading northbound towards the Strip. At Terminal 1 it looks like you should ONLY use the northbound schedule and route, do not get on the southbound one.

13. Dewey089

Dewey089 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks Pdog. As always you are right on the money.

14. Turtleman

Turtleman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Maybe I don't understand, but I seriously doubt there will be two separate WAX's serving McCarran. I assume the same bus will go from one terminal to the other before heading north, which accounts for the longer times.

15. Dewey089

Dewey089 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think the fine print at the bottom of the schedule contains the key to what Pdog is talking about. From that note, it seems the WAX will stop at Terminal 1 twice EXCEPT on Sundays, once on the way to Terminal 3 and once on the way back. If that is the case, there is no advantage to boarding when the bus is heading South unless we want to sit on the bus until it heads North again.
    If that is true, I opt for sitting on that nice bench at Terminal 1 and reading my book rather than holding my suitcase on the bus.

However, were the bus ever to get crowded by International travelers at Terminal 3, then getting on right away at Terminal 1 would give us more options for seats. I might be tempted to do that so I could position myself comfortably with my large suitcase.

I can't quite see that very often or at all one WAX bus would be at Terminal 3, go North to Terminal 1 and do the second pickup just after a second bus had done a pickup heading South. The times just don't seem to be there. But perhaps Pdog sees something I am missing.

On Sundays we should only see the WAX going North picking up at Terminal 1.

At least that is the way I read the map and schedule.

Note also, that boarding the WAX at Terminal 1 going South (again, except on Sundays) would get us to Terminal 3 where we could transfer to the CX if there was an advantage in that route destination (like North strip access or being dropped downtown right next to the D.)

Hopefully, someone will ride this in March and give us some on the spot coverage.
    Also, it is not unusual for the RTC to start a route one way, try it out, and then modify it. In fact, that has been the pattern.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2014
  16. Turtleman

Turtleman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks Dewey, I finally saw the fine print. I'm sure we'll all know exactly what the route is before I go back after this week's trip.

17. pdog89149

pdog89149 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There will definitely be two different WAX buses serving T1, the northbound one that just left T3 for the Strip and downtown and the southbound one which goes to T1 first, then to T3. Terminal 3 is the 'layover', or place where the operator has a break, which looks to be about 10-15 minutes at a time.

18. Dewey089

Dewey089 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks very much Pdog. That puts it all in perspective and explains how we might miss a bus by boarding too soon.

19. pdog89149

pdog89149 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Glad I could help!

There could be times where it's the same bus that comes back, but what if it goes out of service at T3 or something like that? Best to wait at T1 for the northbound trip. No reason to ride over to T3 to just either have to get off and get on another bus or sit through a long layover.

20. Turtleman

Turtleman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Maybe I missed it, but the new WAX schedule lists departure times only for Terminal 3. Therefore, until we see times for Terminal 1, we're only guessing about things. I would think that from the D-gates, it's nearly a wash to head to either terminal, and I'll look forward to seeing how this all shapes up.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.