1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Driving from Washington state

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by vokalml, Jan 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vokalml

vokalml Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My friend is driving to Vegas in mid march from Washington state and wanted to know if he will run into any bad weather. Does he have to go over a lot of passes?

2. markmetin

markmetin Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's probably fine, but...

Assuming your friend is starting in the Seattle area and going the most direct route (according to Google maps) there will be several major passes to navigate, including Snoqualmie on I-90 and Pendleton on I-84. He’ll probably be OK mid-March but no guarantees – I’ve seen them both in nasty condition. As a reasonable Plan B, he could head south on I-5 and cut off to Vegas at some logical spot, even as far south as Bakersfield. It will add several hours to the drive but at least offers an alternate route that will probably be less impacted by weather.

We drove from Bellingham to Reno just before Christmas a few years back – still have no idea what we were thinking. We made it but it was a white knuckle ride. From now on I just want to get to my gambling mecca as fast as possible, and minimize any chance of delay, so that means driving is out.

3. Todd_Royce_XXL

Todd_Royce_XXL Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We drove from Washington to Vegas a few years back in January.

We visited family in Needles, CA on the way down and spent most of our drive on I-5, which was easy as could be.

Now we are heading back in March and we will be driving from Vegas to Tacoma.

Google Maps suggests a route through Nevada and Idaho. But it doesn't add much to the drive time or miles to drive to California and pick up I-5 in around the Bakersfield area.

4. ncoday

ncoday Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I drove from Seattle to Vegas last week, on the way there I took the I90 to I84 to SR93 that heads south at twin falls, ID into Vegas. Pendleton on I84 was bad, but otherwise a fairly easy drive for me (F150 4x4). Totaled about 1150 miles.

I decided to take the SR99/I5 Route on the way home that runs through Bakersfield because I checked weather reports, and it looked like the best way. I didnt think to look at Portland though, as it very rarely snows there, and of course, there was a foot of snow there. Total drive was about 1300 miles, and took considerably longer because of the snow.

I am from NORCAL, and have lived the past 12 years in Seattle, and have driven the I-5 corridor countless times. After this last trip, I think the 90-84-93 route is the best. Even though 93 is 2 lanes, there isn't much traffic, and the speed limit is 70 mph most of the way.

Roads that direction should be clear by Mid-March, at least I hope so, as I will be headed back to Vegas for NASCAR.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.