1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Container Park

Discussion in 'Downtown Hotels' started by marksind, Feb 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. marksind

marksind VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My wife and I walked down to the Container Park a couple of times during our five-day Vegas visit last week. It's nicer and more interesting than I thought it would be. Even during the daytime they have security at the entrance. The whole thing has a "circle the wagons" set-up whereby you can only enter and exit through the front (facing Fremont Street). Most of the containers are occupied. Boutiques and restaurants predominate. There's a large children's playground with play structures in the middle and a stage an open area at the back.

I was surprised that both weekday afternoons when we went there were a fair number of people milling about; eating, shopping, as well as parents with kids taking advantage of the playground. My wife found bought a sweater and a piece of jewelry from two different stores. I'm not much into boutiques, but having been in many with her I feel qualified to say that for their size they had both interesting selections and decent prices.

There's a separate section just east of the public one that is for education and certain scheduled activities. It wasn't open either time we were there. Across the street to the west there is a lot packed with new Airstream trailers. We asked a security guard in the park, who said she's heard that it's also part of the Downtown Project. The Airstreams will become an Airstream "hotel." Rent one (fixed on site) like a hotel room. Might try that - my wife's always wanted one!

Looks like it's off to a decent start, and it definitely has extended the "safe zone" east. We walked the extra block past the old Western to Atomic Liquors, but it didn't open until 4:00.

2. gambler

gambler VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Interesting idea about the airstreams. I've rented a trailer at a resort before and it was great. All you need is a sleeping bag and food and you're good to go. For someone travelling with pets it would also be another option in Vegas.

Just did some googling and Circus Circus did it in 2009. http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2009/jan/26/camping-vegas-style/

Any idea how many they are planning on setting up? I love all the changes happening in Fremont East. Thanks for the review.

3. matguy

matguy High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hmmm, sounds kinda fun. We'll be down there with my kid next week, I think we might just stop by.

4. oaktownjc

oaktownjc Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    to add

at 4:30 pm the giant praying mantis throws flames while a drum circle plays..very kid friendly.

5. UTE

UTE Plastics

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My experience with Container Park the first time was the same as noted - they pulled it off much better than I expected. It's not just a pile of old shipping containers with shops in them. It's got an upscale feel and vibe and a very eclectic selection of stores, bars and eateries.

The play area in the middle is outstanding. Kids seem to love it. And, staff supervise the area. One of my LV friends was displeased they would not let one of her small children access some areas - but that shows how Park staff are looking out for the children even if the parents aren't.

I've been to Container Park three times, all on cold days/nights, and it seems to be doing well. I think we'll see it REALLY do well once temps are up. And, they're going to regularly have bands on the stage - which will also attract more people.

Don't expect to walk in with an alcoholic drink in your hand. You'll be (politely) asked to leave it at the gate. However, they will sell you plenty of alcohol once you're in. Staff were initially searching bags coming in - but stopped that practice due to complaints. Now they just look for obvious stuff.

Chat with The Mantis guys if you get a chance. They're a couple of Burners the Park hired to run the thing. Nice guys who'll tell you all about Burning Man.

Bill

6. Crambone

Crambone Gnaeus Pompey Magnus

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I liked it. It's new and interesting. It's an easy walk from the FSE and across the street from the ElCo.

The kids have a NEOS interactive game where they knock out lights on targets.

The Boozery is kinda pricy - $8 for a 10oz Jack and Coke. One block away is Atomic Liquors where I got a pint of PBR and a shot of whiskey for the same price.

The Big Ern's BBQ is pretty good. I plan on sampling the Mexican fare from Pinches Tacos my next visit.

At dusk they encourage participation in a Drum Circle as the mantis shoots flames to the beat. You can feel the heat radiate from that flame too.

Attached Files:

7. UTE

UTE Plastics

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Great pics, Bungadin.

Bill

8. matguy

matguy High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yup, we're going.

9. Blonde_4_ever

Blonde_4_ever LasVegas4ever.com

Trips to Las Vegas:
    How often does the Praying Mantis do it's thing?

Is it only at 4:30?

10. UTE

UTE Plastics

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As noted with the Drum circle, The Mantis is fired up for events. When it regularly runs is throughout the evening and night. It's kind of fun to watch as the Burners running it scare people with random fires. They'll wait until a new group comes across the street and, as they are walking past The Mantis into the Park, the Burners light up the Mantis. Some people literally jump when it goes off - not so much from the flames, but from the loud sound The Mantis makes when it fires.

Bill

11. keno60

keno60 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the info. I plan on visiting the Park in 3 weeks.

12. keno60

keno60 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the pictures Bungadin!

13. robert m.

robert m. High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I had been reading about the Container Park for a couple of months on the VMB, and I thought that it sounded kind of cheap & "seedy".

Then, I walked down there one afternoon & found it to be the opposite -- cleaner, safer & more upscale.

14. Hawaiianmark

Hawaiianmark Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks on the pix. Looking forward to giving my heathen terrors a run there. Thanks a ton for the info!:nworthy:

15. pebbles

pebbles Micro Roller.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Mark, they will love it!

16. UTE

UTE Plastics

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My experience was the same as yours. I went in skeptical and came out very impressed. Container Park is definitely on the upscale side.

Bill

17. Birdie7

Birdie7 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That damn Prey Mantis scared me as we weren't expecting the loud sound and Fire but it was pretty cool. The food at Penches Tacos were good and Kerry Simons place Pork and Beans provided some spicy but great tasting chili and some good sliders.

There is a Boutique selling cupcakes. They are very delicious. I think I ate the whole dozen that I bought by myself ( yes they were small). The Jerky at another place was very good on the plane ride home.

18. MisplacedTexan

MisplacedTexan Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You think a grown, 250 pound man could get around in that tree fort thing? Just a random question, of course. But it does look like fun. :wink

19. matguy

matguy High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm still kicking myself for not actually going. We walked by it, fully intending on hitting it on the way back, but it got too late. The fire of the preying mantis was great, though. We knew it was coming, so it didn't scare us, but yeah, it's loud. And hot. We could feel the heat off it from well across the street.

I blame the MSS Buffet for us being out too late :licklips:

20. Shelbymae

Shelbymae Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have never heard of this, and will check it out in Sept when I go....I love this site for learning new things!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.